Stiff/Hard Brake Pedal During Startup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Hi,

Just checking if other owners have experienced this: During startup in the morning, if the car has not been used overnight or sitting for a long period of time, the brake pedal is very hard, and would not depress. Can't start a car without depressing a brake. It's not the weather cuz FL is hot. Thanks.

2016 Civic Sedan
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
you dont need much pressure to start the car. my guess is someone pressed the brakes a few times after turning the car off.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
you dont need much pressure to start the car. my guess is someone pressed the brakes a few times after turning the car off.
Thanks for the reply but no one has ever pumped the brake when car is stopped. I'm the only one who has access and I never do that because I know that would make the brake hard and stiff. It's a little disappointing because I never had this problem with 2012 Civic.

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hi,

Just checking if other owners have experienced this: During startup in the morning, if the car has not been used overnight or sitting for a long period of time, the brake pedal is very hard, and would not depress. Can't start a car without depressing a brake. It's not the weather cuz FL is hot. Thanks.

2016 Civic Sedan
Are you saying it is so stiff that the car won't start? If so, that's obviously a problem. Back to the dealer...

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Are you saying it is so stiff that the car won't start? If so, that's obviously a problem. Back to the dealer...
I can start but would have to press the brake harder than usual. It happens only during 1st startup on a given day, not everyday but often. Other days, it's fine and mushy.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
The vacuum in the brake booster from when you last shut the engine off won't last forever. You can create the exact same condition by pressing on the brake pedal several times immediately after shutting the car off. "Fine and mushy" == has residual vacuum in the brake booster from the last time the engine was running. The "mush" is the vacuum assist of power brakes.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Exactly what dick w said. When you start the car with your foot on the brake you should immediately feel it go down as the brake boost kicks in.

You don't need hard pressure at all to start the car - you could press on it with a few fingers and it'll still start.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
I don't notice this in my EX. The brake pedal pushes down just as far and as easily before I start it all the time, whether it's been sitting overnight or just a few hours. If I were experiencing this, I would take it to be checked at the dealership.

Mustnabs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
I noticed if you activate your parking brake it will be a little more stiff. I don't know if you're doing that?
But even that shouldn't make it too hard to push, just slightly harder

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
This was asked, and the answer was "no".

Grambles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic Si
I'm not sure about the 1.5T startup warming procedures, but usually turbocharged engines do not pull the vacuum that NA engines do at startup. To warm the cats up quicker usually there is more gauge pressure in the system.

Without the use of an electric vacuum pump, which your brake booster runs off of, it could take a little bit before it gets "mushy".

As dick w said, the system cannot remain primed sitting forever.

sb92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic
I've experienced this issue too. I've brought it to the dealership and left it there overnight for two nights and they said they didn't experience anything.

My story on this:

When I initially start the car, the brakes are very firm (not like how brakes usually feel when you press down on them such as when you drive). Sometimes through out the day, I'll experience it again, sometimes I won't. It varies. People have explained to me about the vacuum and I understand that for the most part. But I'm confused on why it only happens now and then.

I'm still trying to find answers for this too because it's pretty risky having a new car yet issues like this arise...
Sponsored