Stereo/ center unit swap on 2017 Civic Hatch?

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, I've read a lot of threads showing people changing their regular lx units to aftermarket ones. I wanted to do the same since the lx ones are basic pos and really boring. My question is, would it be easier putting an aftermarket din and wiring the backup camera or getting a head unit from an ex and swapping it into there? I know this is a common thread, but I really would like to know the easiest and cheapest way to get a new head unit. Thanks all!
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
the easiest and cheapest way to get a new head unit
Let me stop you right there at "cheapest". The headunit from an EX is about $1500 new. Unless you can find one from a wrecked car for cheap, that will be faaaaaaaaaar from the cheapest option :)

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
Honestly, both options are expensive and time consuming at the moment.

You will likely have more trouble getting the EX unit working due to all the extra tied in stuff your car doesn't have. You'd be better off with after market but getting all the accessories (microphone/backup cam/steering wheel controls) working appears to be a PITA from reading other threads.

vonlaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
I put in a pioneer 4200nex. Easiest/cheapest is buying a new unit from Crutchfield and getting their full accessory package. Beyond the harnesses, you have to splice two wires, one for reverse and one for illumination. Steering wheel controls worked no problem. Only hangup I had was that I am not using the stock mic at the moment and instead using the one that came with the unit. It is completely worth every bit of effort.

OP
OP
9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let me stop you right there at "cheapest". The headunit from an EX is about $1500 new. Unless you can find one from a wrecked car for cheap, that will be faaaaaaaaaar from the cheapest option :)
Oh, I've found a salvaged ex with working head unit for only $100 usd.

teamgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t 2017 civic hatch ST
Country flag
they are pretty cheap on eBay. the problem is the head unit is connected other stuff that your car doesn't offer.example blind spot monitoring, AC.probably a lot of other stuff that I can't think of right now. try it out let me know because I was thinking of doing the same thing in my civic hatchback sport.

vonlaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
From what i understand, those don't have a radio tuner built in, you'll need separate tuner that goes in the pillar next to the back seat as well as a new antenna. Not sure about speaker level outputs. If that thing is expecting to feed an amp, you'd need that as well. A lot of work and extra cost, and it still won't be as good as aftermarket, IMO

OP
OP
9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I put in a pioneer 4200nex. Easiest/cheapest is buying a new unit from Crutchfield and getting their full accessory package. Beyond the harnesses, you have to splice two wires, one for reverse and one for illumination. Steering wheel controls worked no problem. Only hangup I had was that I am not using the stock mic at the moment and instead using the one that came with the unit. It is completely worth every bit of effort.
they are pretty cheap on eBay. the problem is the head unit is connected other stuff that your car doesn't offer.example blind spot monitoring, AC.probably a lot of other stuff that I can't think of right now. try it out let me know because I was thinking of doing the same thing in my civic hatchback sport.
I might just put in an aftermarket head unit and save myself some work.

OP
OP
9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From what i understand, those don't have a radio tuner built in, you'll need separate tuner that goes in the pillar next to the back seat as well as a new antenna. Not sure about speaker level outputs. If that thing is expecting to feed an amp, you'd need that as well. A lot of work and extra cost, and it still won't be as good as aftermarket, IMO
I might just do an aftermarket head unit so i don't have to add stuff and make it less work.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
You're correct that the radio tuner is a separate piece of hardware. But if you don't listen to the radio, then no need to buy it.

Everything except the 10/12 speaker cars have the same 4 speaker-level outputs, so no problem there. I.e. they don't have a separate amp.
Sponsored