Stealth sub/amp recommendations?

16EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CBP Civic EX
I have an EX and I'm looking to pick up a nice small and stealthy amp + sub (in one enclosure if possible?) to take some of the load off the regular speakers.

Any recommendations? Open to placement ideas as well!
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I have an EX and I'm looking to pick up a nice small and stealthy amp + sub (in one enclosure if possible?) to take some of the load off the regular speakers.

I haven't seen any, and I've looked. Personally I'm going to be buying a sub and building a reccomended enclosure for it then sticking it behind the wheel wells. There is a brand called stealth box out there but their boxes are expensive.

Mgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring

I used the Rockford Fosgate P300-10. It's a 10" sub and 300 watt amp. It's not quite a stealth box, but I have mine pointed to the rear seats and the dark vinyl of the box makes it pretty inconspicuous. I did look for stealth boxes and there are none currently available and it seems like they are quite expensive. The Rockford Fosgate was an easy solution and easy install. When all was said and done for the whole install it was under $200 and it sounds great.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosg...e=UTF8&qid=1459523091&sr=8-1&keywords=p300-10

ecm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I used the Rockford Fosgate P300-10. It's a 10" sub and 300 watt amp. It's not quite a stealth box, but I have mine pointed to the rear seats and the dark vinyl of the box makes it pretty inconspicuous. I did look for stealth boxes and there are none currently available and it seems like they are quite expensive. The Rockford Fosgate was an easy solution and easy install. When all was said and done for the whole install it was under $200 and it sounds great.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosg...e=UTF8&qid=1459523091&sr=8-1&keywords=p300-10
Few questions...Where did you run the remote wire to? For the signal did you just do a LOC tapped off the rear speakers? How hard does it bump? What gauge wire did you run for power? What's the RMS of the amp, Amazon didn't have it listed.

I feel the stock EX system is seriously lacking on the bass!

Mgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Few questions...Where did you run the remote wire to? For the signal did you just do a LOC tapped off the rear speakers? How hard does it bump? What gauge wire did you run for power? What's the RMS of the amp, Amazon didn't have it listed.

I feel the stock EX system is seriously lacking on the bass!
Remote Wire: A nice feature of the RF sub is that is has a automatic on feature so you don't have to run a remote wire. It will turn on and off automatically when it detects a signal from the speaker wire.

My setup was a bit different because I have the touring model so I just disconnected the stock sub and used those wires directly to the sub. For your setup I'm sure you would have to use a line out converter to tap into the rear speakers for a High signal.

I was very skeptical about buying a powered sub because I had always heard bad things about them, and in some of my previous cars I have had very elaborate after market audio systems. My goal with this was to add some bass and keep the stock system because I think the rest of the audio system in the car is fine. Long story short the sub hits very hard for one 10" sub with 300 watts. I originally had everything (gain, bass boost) set to about 50% but it was hitting to hard so I turned everything down significantly and it sounds great. It won't wake the neighbors when you're cruising down the street but it will def shake your rear view mirror.

I used 8 gauge wire.

The amp is rated at 300 watts RMS.

ecm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. I found the specs on the RF website. I was looking at the user manual and it looks like if I tap off the rear speaker wires I can just set a switch to high signal and run them straight in as opposed to getting a LOC. Says you can cut the adapter harness that has the RCA cables and just run speaker wire to them and have the switch to let it know what signal it's getting. All the the loc does is converts to a low signal and gives you RCA cables to run into a typical amp. Sound like this has some kind of LOC built in. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Mgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Thanks for the reply. I found the specs on the RF website. I was looking at the user manual and it looks like if I tap off the rear speaker wires I can just set a switch to high signal and run them straight in as opposed to getting a LOC. Says you can cut the adapter harness that has the RCA cables and just run speaker wire to them and have the switch to let it know what signal it's getting. All the the loc does is converts to a low signal and gives you RCA cables to run into a typical amp. Sound like this has some kind of LOC built in. Correct me if I'm wrong...

You're correct the Amp does have a LOC built in... so you definitely should be able to do that.

ecm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I just looked at my rear speakers to try to plan the install. There is 4 speaker wires going to EACH rear speaker... But they are in pairs, so 2 of the same color. Is it really just 2 sets of 2 signals or is each wire a different signal?

I think it may just be for integrity of the wiring system to have two. Looks like at the connector it just combines the signals and I can see where the terminals are connected to the speaker cone which is only 2 wires.

makemerush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just looked at my rear speakers to try to plan the install. There is 4 speaker wires going to EACH rear speaker... But they are in pairs, so 2 of the same color. Is it really just 2 sets of 2 signals or is each wire a different signal?

I think it may just be for integrity of the wiring system to have two. Looks like at the connector it just combines the signals and I can see where the terminals are connected to the speaker cone which is only 2 wires.
On the touring there are separate tweeters so they may just include the extra wiring to avoid having to run different wiring (plus it is the same is doubling the wiring gauge so not a bad thing)

ecm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Where are you guys hooking up the ground? Usually I'll find a designated ground in the trunk under the carpet where other things are hooked to, but I can't find one in our car...

Mgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Depends on what model you have. I have the touring and didn't use a LOC for my install and the amp has a LOC built in anyways. You would also need to purchase a wiring kit for the power and ground. I used these speaker adapters for mine so I didn't have to cut any wires, but like I said I have the touring so I disconnected the factory sub and just used those wires.

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-7800...964689&sr=1-1&keywords=Honda+speaker+adapters

ecm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I was torn between the 10" vs 12". Ended up going with the 10" I hope it can still hit the lows I want. I listen to a lot of hip-hop. I read some review on Amazon that someone bought both and liked the 10" way better because it could hit lows and some mids and rounded out the system better as opposed to the 12" being too boomy.

I will do the install this weekend and let you guys know what I think.

@Mgo are you happy with the 10" as far as how low it can hit? Also, where did you tap into for ground?

Mgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I was torn between the 10" vs 12". Ended up going with the 10" I hope it can still hit the lows I want. I listen to a lot of hip-hop. I read some review on Amazon that someone bought both and liked the 10" way better because it could hit lows and some mids and rounded out the system better as opposed to the 12" being too boomy.

I will do the install this weekend and let you guys know what I think.

@Mgo are you happy with the 10" as far as how low it can hit? Also, where did you tap into for ground?

The 10" will definitely get the job done. I was looking at the 12" myself but decided to go with the 10" for size reasons. I listen to a lot of hip hop as well and keep the bass boost turned down pretty low otherwise it will hit too hard for the rest of the system. I just connected to a bolt in the trunk area for the ground.

ecm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Just finished the Rockford fosgate pre loaded sub. Seems stealth enough for me. Hits pretty good. Since its preloaded, install was very simple. Took less than an hour.

Overall very pleased with the sound quality of the sub. Really rounds out the system, the factory setup on anything below the touring has non existent bass.

Honda Civic 10th gen Stealth sub/amp recommendations? ima
Sponsored