Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
A lot of these car photos are taken at waist level and it seems to elongate the car. I bet it looks shorter in person.
Sponsored

SurelyYewJest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pathfinder
That is a very sharp-looking car. Other than evoking the BMW 3/5-series GTs in the rear third, I would definitely consider this. It blows the current one away for looks, and like the 2006 Civic did in its time, looks to change the game in this market segment. It appears Honda learned their lesson from 2011 that you can't skimp on this car and make it lightly evolutionary.

This is a great portent for such a popular model.

Fun2Drive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic EX
Looks so much better than the renders, I am impressed and I like it a lot! Crossing my fingers that the interior dashboard materials would match or exceed that of the 9th gen civic EX for that beyond average look/feel and overall experience.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm wondering if this is a press car. Aren't some of the car mags based in Ann Arbor?

http://www.annarbor.com/business-review/road-track-magazine-will-move-to-ann-arbor/

If it is, the press has driven these cars and are on embargo.
That makes alot of sense. The press gets these cars pretty early on to do initial testing and then have to wait for honda's ok to release the info. When the prius debuted a couple days ago the auto mags had articles up that same day, most likely from earlier testing.

Regi_Derrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Country flag
I remember the first set of press releases saying the Civic would be debuting in Detroit AND LA...all of a sudden all the latest releases just say LA. Perhaps Honda will still be debuting something in Detroit as well? If that's the case, Ann Arbor is basically a far west suburb of Detroit and the car may have been driven into town by someone for the unveiling.

I do believe that all these photos are staged though. These "surprise" debuts are so predictable these days. Happens way way too often...and it is no coincidence. LOL. I KNEW there would be a leak of the car before Wednesday, it never fails.

With that being said, I have driven Accords for most of my driving life (1st two Accords were DX and EX models from 1991 and 1992) and most recently owned a 2007 Accord EX-L 5spd manual. I have always wanted to own a Civic but honestly the last Civic that I liked was Gen 6 from way back in the late 1990s. Gen 8 was not terrible and eventually grew on me but I have hated Gen9 since day one...and still can't stand the styling inside or out of the current Civics. I always felt like the Civic was a major downgrade design-wise, interior material/design wise and I could never bring myself to buy one. I didn't feel that way when I test drove the Fusion and Focus back to back or the Optima and Forte back to back as well. With this new Civic, at least on the outside, it looks upscale enough to be considered something other than a "cheap compact."Honda finally gets the idea that a compact car does not have to look frumpy, lumpy or cheap...and I'm loving it.

Sure there are some details I'd like to change...the front grille being the main change and the rear bumper cut outs are strange too (as are the lack of exhaust tips) but overall it is a MAJOR step above what we've seen from Civics in the past.

This Civic will bring me back to the Honda fold. I left Honda last year because I could no longer buy an Accord EX-L Sedan with a manual transmission and moved over to Ford and got a generously equipped Fusion SE with the 1.6t/6spd manual combo. It's got leather, sunroof, navigation and a manual transmission. I love the damn thing. But it's NO Honda. It doesn't have that Honda "feel" and its really too big of a car for a manual transmission. I guess I kinda see why the midsizers are moving away from manuals in that class.

I look forward to paying it off in another year or so and now intend to move back to Honda and finally own a Civic. Most likely an EX 1.5t 6spd manual or a Civic SI.

This is precisely the thing Honda is hoping they can do with the new Civic: Hold on to current owners and attract new ones who may have not considered the Civic before. If the interior is well-executed, there is no doubt in my mind that I'll be buying the new Civic in two years or so.

Last edited:

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Might have missed it in the thread but it looks like it could be a lift back ? It does look kind of big from the photo but I think it could be the swoopy design that makes it look bigger than it is. Doesn't look drastically different to the current Civic when you use the Econoline behind it for reference.

nade shot

Threads
Reaction score
Wait to see it under the showroom lights in some different colors. Bet it'll blow some people away. I've already seen some positive reactions on a few forums I visit.
I'm also willing to bet we see a lot more of this car before Wed. It seems like Honda is not hiding it, parading it around in fact.

tateep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX 2.0 Senseless
Country flag

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
That makes alot of sense. The press gets these cars pretty early on to do initial testing and then have to wait for honda's ok to release the info. When the prius debuted a couple days ago the auto mags had articles up that same day, most likely from earlier testing.
The EPA Fuel Emissions Lab is in Ann Arbor as well. Could have been used for testing.
It is Car and Driver's press car. C&D is based in Ann Arbor, and most of their competitors have linked the CivicX's website about this spotting. They are being suspiciously quiet about it.

Car and Driver Magazine
1585 Eisenhower Place
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
I overlooked it first as a reflection, but it appears that the chrome window strip extends out into the side mirrors. Pretty sharp.

Also it appears to have chrome door handles. I wonder if that will be limited to the Touring.

Last edited:

C Note

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
I overlooked it first as a reflection, but it appears that the chrome window strip extends out into the side mirrors. Pretty sharp.

Also it appears to have chrome door handles. I wonder if that will be limited to the Touring.
Yea gives it a more premium look. It would be nice if the whole line up got that chrome trim.
Sponsored