Sport Touring Hatch and how to improve 'quickness'

Biggeek55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Type R, 2019 Accord 2.0 Touring, 2017 Hatch Sport Touring, 2015 Civic SI
Country flag
So I've had my Sport Touring Hatch (CTV obviously) for a month and the only thing I don't like is the off the line power. Throttle always feels dead to me. I've always had cars with bigger engines and old school turbo performance cars so this really feels like I'm walking in mud.

I was waiting for a Type R but will be years at this point, so I picked up the Hatch Sport Touring for a couple years, but the low end power is non existent, especially from a stop. I feel scared to pull out into traffic.

After a month I've found driving in S helps a bit and keeping RPM higher so turbo spools has made things a bit better, but It is woefully slow from the line, or passing.

Will a tune help it 'jump' at the line more? I need to do something because this is painful stepping down from my previous cars.. I need to do something to help power.. but not sure it really will help much.
Sponsored

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Hondata +6 psi CVT tune - you won't have to do anything else, other than stomp on the gas pedal.

S is not usable all the time - it will keep your revs stupid high during highway cruising.

OP
OP

Biggeek55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Type R, 2019 Accord 2.0 Touring, 2017 Hatch Sport Touring, 2015 Civic SI
Country flag
Hondata +6 psi CVT tune - you won't have to do anything else, other than stomp on the gas pedal.

S is not usable all the time - it will keep your revs stupid high during highway cruising.
Does it spool turbo sooner or just increase the boost on the default +6? Is this where the increased responsiveness comes in?
Any issues yet running the +6 long term? I've seen some saying they're more comfortable with the +3.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Does it spool turbo sooner or just increase the boost on the default +6?
Feels like it increased the boost through the curve so it spools up faster via the RPM range. I don't see any drawbacks to running the +6, either go +6 or don't do it IMO.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
I feel scared to pull out into traffic.

I always find this hilarious. This car even in stock form is a fucking rocket compared to most cars produced up to the late 90's. I've never felt scared pulling into traffic in anything but a fully loaded Uhaul or RV. Even an 18 second mid 80's economy car gets up to speed fast enough to not worry about being run over.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Check out Ktuner. The base maps are nice but a custom tune from @VitViper add a very nice touch. Either way you'll feel like you are driving a completely different car.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I always find this hilarious. This car even in stock form is a fucking rocket compared to most cars produced up to the late 90's. I've never felt scared pulling into traffic in anything but a fully loaded Uhaul or RV. Even an 18 second mid 80's economy car gets up to speed fast enough to not worry about being run over.
I think he's talking about pre boost, its not like an NA where you immediately go, instead your spooling the turbo and waiting to "take off like a rocket" it takes getting used to for sure I've never had a turbo before this. but to the OP yes a tune will improve throttle response, reduce turbo lag and it feels much more responsive than stock.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
I think he's talking about pre boost, its not like an NA where you immediately go, instead your spooling the turbo and waiting to "take off like a rocket" it takes getting used to for sure I've never had a turbo before this. but to the OP yes a tune will improve throttle response, reduce turbo lag and it feels much more responsive than stock.
Yup I am sympathetic to the intent of the post, it does have lag for sure and it's not at all unreasonable to want to eliminate it or launch harder. A tune with a real VSS disable will remedy 90% of that lag pretty quickly. I just always find the hyperbole hilarious. We're getting a little spoiled now with 40mpg economy cars that go 0-60 in the 6's. First world problems LOL!!

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
So I've had my Sport Touring Hatch (CTV obviously) for a month and the only thing I don't like is the off the line power. Throttle always feels dead to me. I've always had cars with bigger engines and old school turbo performance cars so this really feels like I'm walking in mud.

I was waiting for a Type R but will be years at this point, so I picked up the Hatch Sport Touring for a couple years, but the low end power is non existent, especially from a stop. I feel scared to pull out into traffic.

After a month I've found driving in S helps a bit and keeping RPM higher so turbo spools has made things a bit better, but It is woefully slow from the line, or passing.

Will a tune help it 'jump' at the line more? I need to do something because this is painful stepping down from my previous cars.. I need to do something to help power.. but not sure it really will help much.
Sounds like a KTuner is calling your name. Even the Stage 1 map w/ some boost ramp tweaks will bring a smile to your face -- Stage 2 even more so. Customers have been running KTuner Stage maps for over a year with no problems.

OP
OP

Biggeek55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Lol you must not have driven around Chicago much. It's worse than the All Valley Tournament.. Sweep the leg! No mercy sensei!

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lol you must not have driven around Chicago much. It's worse than the All Valley Tournament.. Sweep the leg! No mercy sensei!
I lived there for a few years downtown, traffic never moved fast enough to use any acceleration. Now the suburbs is another story, but still I had no problem getting on 55 or 290 in a 3cylinder 80's Ford Fiesta with four 190lb guys in it. You had to wind it up to get into traffic that is for sure, but I wouldn't call it dangerous. Still it is a lot nicer to have the power to pull out whenever you want instead of waiting for room. Get that KTuner and have some fun!

OP
OP

Biggeek55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I lived there for a few years downtown, traffic never moved fast enough to use any acceleration. Now the suburbs is another story, but still I had no problem getting on 55 or 290 in a 3cylinder 80's Ford Fiesta with four 190lb guys in it. You had to wind it up to get into traffic that is for sure, but I wouldn't call it dangerous. Still it is a lot nicer to have the power to pull out whenever you want instead of waiting for room. Get that KTuner and have some fun!
I've got a story about myself and 2 other 300+lb buddies of mine crammed into a 2007 Yaris literally shoulder to shoulder trying to take off up an on ramp into 85 MPH traffic outbound on 55 one night.. We were rocking forward and backward to get it to start moving lol... ah.. good times..

CVT_Squad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 2005 Pilot 2010 Insight 1998 Civic Hatch
Country flag
I always find this hilarious. This car even in stock form is a fucking rocket compared to most cars produced up to the late 90's. I've never felt scared pulling into traffic in anything but a fully loaded Uhaul or RV. Even an 18 second mid 80's economy car gets up to speed fast enough to not worry about being run over.[/QUOT
I've got a story about myself and 2 other 300+lb buddies of mine crammed into a 2007 Yaris literally shoulder to shoulder trying to take off up an on ramp into 85 MPH traffic outbound on 55 one night.. We were rocking forward and backward to get it to start moving lol... ah.. good times..
I think my brain gets adjusted to the mid range pull the civic has and when i start off from a standstill i expect the power to be there, and it isnt. Apparently the Hondata tunes get rid of this programmed in lag.
Sponsored

Last edited: