1. Guest, see the CivicX Forum Rules and User Agreement before posting.  After reading click here to dismiss this notice →

Featured Spied! New 2016 Honda Civic 5-Door Hatchback Prototype

Discussion in 'General 10th Gen Discussions' started by Administrator, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Administrator

Administrator Administrator Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Honda
    A new prototype has shown up on the U.S. Honda test circuit, and it looks like this may be the new U.S.-bound, UK-built 5-door Civic.

The latest prototype matches up with the prior Civic prototypes in its key dimensions--wheelbase, windshield, door handles, and hood line all overlay perfectly with Civic sedan test cars. However, this new prototype is covered in a completely different camouflage set-up than prior Civic test cars, and it appears to have an even more bulbous silhouette than the already sleek Civic sedan. While the sedan's roofline begins to taper downward toward its rather fastbacked shape, this new Civic is more rounded toward the rear, suggesting that we may be seeing the as-yet-unseen 5-door variant--completing the Civic's coming model hat trick.

Civics345.KGP.ed.jpg Civics45.KGP.ed.jpg Civic5dr.KGP.ed.jpg Civic5dr.rc.KGP.ed.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  2. MMM Senior Member

Car(s):
    Fit
    YESSSS!! Knew it was coming but happy to see it.

3. CaptK Senior Member

Car(s):
    Subaru XV Crosstek
    Nice! I do believe that is the line up right there.

4. Boarshead77 New Member

Car(s):
    2011 Civic Si Sedan (FA5)
    This website is killing it with 10th Gen news/threads!

5. Boarshead77 New Member

Car(s):
    2011 Civic Si Sedan (FA5)
    If that is the hatchback, it is very close to the sedan's lines. Reminds me somewhat of the Crosstour, which is cool in its own way, but not very sporty looking. I'd love to see a shorter, more muscular hatch similar to the current European Type R.

6. Backstrom Member

I agree with you, the profile looks too similar to the sedan in the spy photos. I'm hoping there is a lot of padding in the back. The current 9th gen Type R 5 door is a sexy beast.. if Honda is trying to bring sporty back to the Civic with this next generation, it's gotta nail this hatch back and it better look sportier than the current gen Civic.

7. 10thG

10thG Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    2016 Civic
    What happened to the usual wedge shape?? This looks like a Crosstour or Tesla Model S to me. :(

8. Whoosh Senior Member

Car(s):
    FJ Cruiser
    Looks like coupe for me!

9. randY49

randY49 Senior Member

Home Page:
    Car(s):
    1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
    It will be disappointing if this does turn out to be the 5-door. I don't see enough of a difference to call it anything other than another sedan mule myself, so I'm holding out hope that the camo is just giving it the illusion of a different shape.

I sure am hoping for more of a traditional hatch shape than a smaller Crosstour.

10. Tuttle

Tuttle Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    CBR600RR
    Hope it's just the padding making it look like a sportback. Could that just be a sedan but in different camoflage?

If not, there's going to be a bunch of enthusiasts banging on Honda's door for a Type R Coupe instead.

11. Realdealryan New Member

Car(s):
    Accord, TSX
    It's covered up. We already know these are wider and sportier than the last generation- when the R hits, it will look fine.

12. ///Mookster Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic Touring
    This is definitely not your traditional wedge style hatchback but more like a sportback, which isn't necessarily bad. Look how good the Tesla Model S looks and that's a sportback.

13. NIN

NIN Senior Member

Car(s):
    Hondas 4 life
    If not for the different camo I think everyone would say this is the sedan, which is what I bet is underneath. The hatch is coming out last so it would not be unusual that it's not out testing yet with the rest of the line up.

RobbJK88 thanked this.
  14. randY49

randY49 Senior Member

Home Page:
    Car(s):
    1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
    I couldn't agree more.

RobbJK88 thanked this.
  15. RobbJK88

RobbJK88 Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Graphic Designer
    Car(s):
    2014 Honda Civic Coupe
    Garage Profiles:
    I agree, i think this is just another sedan testing (possibly had both engines testing hence 2 cars). It just looks too similar, a back end that low isn't a true hatchback and would never cut it in Europe. Remember this is supposed to be a global car, it has to appeal to a wide audience, and europe likes its wedge hatchbacks.