Speedometer Font - Digital VS Analog Dashboards

Milo & Miles

Is there anything that won't fit into this car?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch
First off, I really love the full Digital Dashboard Display in the upper trims of the Civic. Especially the startup animation with the Guage Sweep -- gets me every time! But one thing that I wish I could change is the actual Font of the Speedometer counter itself. Ironically, I much prefer the digital style of font in the Analog Dashboards, and also in the 8th and 9th Gen Civics. It looks so much more futuristic and tech-y and for the HB Sport and Coupe models, I feel it would add to the Sporty, Performance vibe of those models. Even the current pics of the Type R use the "un-exciting" font style!

Analog Speedometer:
Honda Civic 10th gen Speedometer Font - Digital VS Analog Dashboards Analog Tach

Full Digital Speedometer:
Honda Civic 10th gen Speedometer Font - Digital VS Analog Dashboards Digital

Anyone else feel the same? And this is hoping against all hope, but does anyone know if there's an option for this buried somewhere deep in the Settings that I just missed? :hmm:

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
I agree - while the full LCD dash is fancy; it's actual presentation is pretty dull. Other than displaying navigation, I'm actually envious of the LX/Sport trim dashboards

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I wish the whole cluster was analog. I like the analog tach in the sport (US) but the lcd now seem dated compared to the full lcd models.

OP
OP
Milo & Miles

Milo & Miles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch
I agree - while the full LCD dash is fancy; it's actual presentation is pretty dull. Other than displaying navigation, I'm actually envious of the LX/Sport trim dashboards
You and me both

OP
OP
Milo & Miles

Milo & Miles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch
I wish the whole cluster was analog. I like the analog tach in the sport (US) but the lcd now seem dated compared to the full lcd models.
Wish we could have had the best of both worlds; the analog tach, but the full colour lcd screen inside. That's essentially how they're presenting the full digital tach anyway

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I think it's a waste of space to be honest. The dash takes up the same amount of space as any other car so you could have physical dials where the fuel and coolant temp is for the speedo and tach, and kept the 7 inch screen displaying fuel, temp at the top and the any other info... Like many FCA vehicles.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guess I'm the one to disagree. The instrument panel is supposed to provide information, not entertainment. I like the font used in the digital display, very clean and easy to read at a glance. Which is the main point of the instruments. You are not playing a video game, you are driving.

OP
OP
Milo & Miles

Milo & Miles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch
Guess I'm the one to disagree. The instrument panel is supposed to provide information, not entertainment. I like the font used in the digital display, very clean and easy to read at a glance. Which is the main point of the instruments. You are not playing a video game, you are driving.
In that regard I completely agree. The digital dash has been superbly designed to convey the critical information at an instant glance.

I'm just lamenting that with how technically advanced that cars have gotten, I was kind of marvelling at how much these cars were starting to come close to KITT from Knight Rider. I wanted to complete that feeling with a more aggressive looking speedo font :D

JrHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Vehicle Showcase
I personally don't mind my LCD in my sport I think it does look better. Even though the other one is clearly the winner in function. But for the higher trims I feel the display isn't as sharp as it should be like its resolution. If the display would have allowed different styles or colors then I would be so jelly.

OP
OP
Milo & Miles

Milo & Miles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch
I personally don't mind my LCD in my sport I think it does look better. Even though the other one is clearly the winner in function. But for the higher trims I feel the display isn't as sharp as it should be like its resolution. If the display would have allowed different styles or colors then I would be so jelly.
I'm hoping for a firmware update that would allow for that feature. But I shouldn't hold my breath should I :p

One thing i did notice was that obviously the refresh on the digital speedometer is woefully slow - just like the 8th gen civic a friend had. But my buddy noted that he felt my digital tachometer was also a bit laggy as well. Hows the responsiveness on the analog tach?

JrHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm hoping for a firmware update that would allow for that feature. But I shouldn't hold my breath should I :p

One thing i did notice was that obviously the refresh on the digital speedometer is woefully slow - just like the 8th gen civic a friend had. But my buddy noted that he felt my digital tachometer was also a bit laggy as well. Hows the responsiveness on the analog tach?
It responses well I guess don't really notice much really. I would have to drive them both side by side. when you mash on the pedal it skips numbers but I believe all of them do that. The best features I wanted from the digital is that it can display music, GPS and a boost gauge.

OP
OP
Milo & Miles

Milo & Miles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch
The best features I wanted from the digital is that it can display music, GPS and a boost gauge.
The music display is nice, but for me not really necessary as it already displays on the centre audio screen. Agreed about the GPS display, wish I had that. The boost guage is ... Neat...

But i wish it actually displayed the PSI value too, there's so much available space to display that. Or at least put PSI values at intervals on the meter itself. As it is, its just a display that tells you, "I'm probably making half of the maximum boost" or whatever.

Personally, I use the boost guage counterintuitivly. I never consult it when I want the car to really move, but I keep an eye on it during normal acceleration to make sure that I actually DON'T get on the boost for hypermiling purposes ;)

JrHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The music display is nice, but for me not really necessary as it already displays on the centre audio screen. Agreed about the GPS display, wish I had that. The boost guage is ... Neat...

But i wish it actually displayed the PSI value too, there's so much available space to display that. Or at least put PSI values at intervals on the meter itself. As it is, its just a display that tells you, "I'm probably making half of the maximum boost" or whatever.

Personally, I use the boost guage counterintuitivly. I never consult it when I want the car to really move, but I keep an eye on it during normal acceleration to make sure that I actually DON'T get on the boost for hypermiling purposes ;)
Yeah the gps is the most useful one and the boost is nice but I wish it was more like a boost gauge lol with a meter style with psi, and the music is just a gimmick but I think its pretty cool. I was only sold on the display in the touring where its red lol i wish the sports in the us were spec like the Canadian models the get everything good in the sport trim expect for leather.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a digital speedo in my first car,a 94 Renault Twingo!
In general i like phisical gauges, in the same way i prefer a mechanic watch to a digital one but it is true that our speedo is really eaat to read, when i drive the other car with analog gauges I feel it,takes too,long to read what speed I am doing!

JrHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had a digital speedo in my first car,a 94 Renault Twingo!
In general i like phisical gauges, in the same way i prefer a mechanic watch to a digital one but it is true that our speedo is really eaat to read, when i drive the other car with analog gauges I feel it,takes too,long to read what speed I am doing!
so true i got used to the digital speed whenever i drive my brother in laws tlx I love the gauges but man i have a hard time reading speeding without the numbers displaying. i would prefer digital with gauges if the tlx display it in the little screen the have in the center i think it would be prefect.
Sponsored