Some 2017 Civic Si details we learned

SpartanSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
Country flag
yep, CVT no way, DSG type: too heavy, expensive and complicated (Honda likes none of that). I could see a ILX version with a turbo 260 ish engine and DSG /DCT.
Agree.....Acura has forgotten how much fun it is to shift gears manually.....would definitely expect some form of auto in the next ILX.
Sponsored

SpartanSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
Country flag
I don't disagree. The question is more on long term reliability. A small turbo like the TD03 needs to spool very high to pull the required volume into the motor to meet their power goals (210-240?). Could it be done? Yes; Hondata has proven that without question.

Now, could it be done reliably over the course of 200-300K? And could it be done without adding significant cost into reworking the 1.5's hardware? Those are the million dollar questions.

But I want to emphasize that I'm not sold on the idea of the 1.5 quite yet; just open to the possibility.
Have been wondering if Honda would add Vtec to the 1.5L for the Si rather than going the displacement route? Seems like this would be more expensive route vs. just upping the displacement and retuning the engine.....

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
Agree.....Acura has forgotten how much fun it is to shift gears manually.....would definitely expect some form of auto in the next ILX.
I was looking forward to getting an ILX until I saw the 6spd was gone, then it was dead to me.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Have been wondering if Honda would add Vtec to the 1.5L for the Si rather than going the displacement route? Seems like this would be more expensive route vs. just upping the displacement and retuning the engine.....
Without a doubt. Probably a variation of the Euro spec VTEC 1.5. I don't think it solves the volume issue, however. Honda reported that the motor draws 18 PSI @ 201 HP, IIRC. Doesn't seem like much wiggle room.

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
I've been thinking about this a lot recently, and it would certainly open up some possibilities should the K20C1 head prove to be a drop-in swap onto the 1.5T block. Even more so if Honda actually does this for the Si since we'd end up with what would basically be a mini-CTR mill. Interestingly, this would satisfy both rumors: That the Si will receive a detuned CTR motor, or that it will receive a hotter 1.5T.

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
Honda could always throw in a variable geometry turbo to retain the low end turbo grunt, while upping the high end with a larger turbo on the 1.5T.

oldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, Civic Si 2015, Supercharged Challenger
Vehicle Showcase
I've been thinking about this a lot recently, and it would certainly open up some possibilities should the K20C1 head prove to be a drop-in swap onto the 1.5T block. Even more so if Honda actually does this for the Si since we'd end up with what would basically be a mini-CTR mill. Interestingly, this would satisfy both rumors: That the Si will receive a detuned CTR motor, or that it will receive a hotter 1.5T.
The 1.5 is a completely and totally different engine. The K20c1 R engine is similar to the K20C2 Civic base, same engine family as the K24Z that come out in just about every Honda, it should be possible sway heads and even whole engines within family. The 1.5 SI engine is a vtec version of the 1.5T Civic engine, physically this engine is much smaller externally.

oldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Honda could always throw in a variable geometry turbo to retain the low end turbo grunt, while upping the high end with a larger turbo on the 1.5T.
typicaly VNT using rotating exhaust guides is problematic on a gas engine. I had a VNT 25 in my GLH-S days, very problematic. I also had VNT-15, vnt-17 and vnt-25 in my TDI days, work great with a diesel, till you shear the wheels off...

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I read a rumor that the Si will be a 1.5 with electric turbo and a new "scream cam" that is similar to vtec but when the vtec engages, the speakers blare "VTEC" like the youtube video from the good ole days.

Again, pure speculation, much like a 1.5 si.

serif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9G Accord V6 Slushbox Sedan
I read a rumor that the Si will be a 1.5 with electric turbo and a new "scream cam" that is similar to vtec but when the vtec engages, the speakers blare "VTEC" like the youtube video from the good ole days.

Again, pure speculation, much like a 1.5 si.
I found a clip:

YEEZUS

oldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
LOL, my ITR does that with no turbo...

Deleted member 3699

I am more worried about it making Honda enthusiasts happy. If I wanted a turbo 4, I would have bought a WRX, ST, MS3 a long time ago.

I would be more impressed if Honda MOTOR Company engineered some redline and snarl back into the engines for the enthusiast models. Those are the cars that made me a Honda enthusiast.
Amen.

I'm driving a good car and all but this is what I really want. I already miss my NA Hondas. Turbos and torque are overrated. Give me a loud high revving NA engine that I need to put through the gears to get the juices going.
*Goes on Craigslist to look at S2K's and ITR's
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: