Software & A.I.

dana0069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic touring
Country flag
ok, I don't want to come off as I'm complaining...well, I guess I am complaining... BUT...
Honda, has one of the most sophisticated humanoid robots in the world today, and the A.I. software is nothing short of state of the art.. So, why can't Honda build better software for their driver assist software? I mean when I'm on the highway, and I'm running the L.K.A.S., if there's more than a slight curve in the road, it's all it can do to stay in it's lane without me pulling back on the wheel..It's not like I'm trying to drive it like a Tesla car ( although would be nice) , but if Honda could beef up their software to at least takes the curves better.
Is it that Honda doesn't have the expertise to better their software? And it can't be because they will think that people will climb in the backseat and have a nap..because you can't take your hands of the wheel for more than 30 seconds at a time...So why are they so lame on their software?
Thank you,
Dana
Sponsored

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I'm starting to think that the "Sensing" package was a marketing list, and the engineering was rushed to check off the items on that list without fully developing them. The system really does seem half-baked. It does perform some of the features some of the time, but it is not reliable and it does not actually make me feel safer.

OP
OP

dana0069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic touring
Country flag
I'm starting to think that the "Sensing" package was a marketing list, and the engineering was rushed to check off the items on that list without fully developing them. The system really does seem half-baked. It does perform some of the features some of the time, but it is not reliable and it does not actually make me feel safer.
O.M.G. You took the words right out of my mouth..!!! I have a friend of mine who just bought a 2017 Hyundai Elantra, and it has very similar software, except his l.k.a.s actually works..

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
Cost, which will affect the price.

Can they do a better job? Sure. Will the market buy a civic that cost $3000 more for the said A.I.? Probably not. (Let me do a market survey for Honda) Would you?

It's not just the software. There's reaction time to make all this work, which in turn, if the system doesn't react fast enough, it can be dangerous. Hence, you have to use a pretty high-end processor. NVidia has packages for these things and they cost thousands.

As a $3000 option, I'm sure most people will opt out (especially) on a Civic - a car known for its economy and reliability. Now $3000 option on a $70,000 car (or just absorb the cost as a feature like Tesla did), it makes much more sense.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
Cost, which will affect the price.

Can they do a better job? Sure. Will the market buy a civic that cost $3000 more for the said A.I.? Probably not. (Let me do a market survey for Honda) Would you?

It's not just the software. There's reaction time to make all this work, which in turn, if the system doesn't react fast enough, it can be dangerous. Hence, you have to use a pretty high-end processor. NVidia has packages for these things and they cost thousands.

As a $3000 option, I'm sure most people will opt out (especially) on a Civic - a car known for its economy and reliability. Now $3000 option on a $70,000 car (or just absorb the cost as a feature like Tesla did), it makes much more sense.
Wasn't it a $1000 option on the civic? I skipped on it because I figured I would never use/need it

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
I don't know how much the option is, but with presumably less than $1,000, your computing power significantly diminishes.

NVidia Tesla K40 video card, alone, costs about $3,000. I'm not saying that Honda maximized their hardware, but Tesla (easily double the price of a Civic) has deeper pocket to play with is my point.

Deep Learning and many self-driving car that you hear about uses multiple NVidia processors.

OP
OP

dana0069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic touring
Country flag
I don't know how much the option is, but with presumably less than $1,000, your computing power significantly diminishes.

NVidia Tesla K40 video card, alone, costs about $3,000. I'm not saying that Honda maximized their hardware, but Tesla (easily double the price of a Civic) has deeper pocket to play with is my point.

Deep Learning and many self-driving car that you hear about uses multiple NVidia processors.
George Hotz of Comma AI says he plans on selling a diy kit for under a $ 1000.00 retail using off the shelf products, using open source software that is equal to anything a Tesla can do, then surely Honda can do the same and probably for half the price that George Hotz can do it for, unless they're using tech's from back in the Commodore 64 age..!!!

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
Honda started designing this 2016 Civic probably at least 3 years ago? They had to lock the "base hardware" back then. So if a company comes along to say "I can do this cheaper today, but my product won't be out until a year from now", I believe it. By that time, NVidia Tesla K40 video card will be $400, not $3000 of today's price.

We shall see if Comma AI will be a sustaining business.

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ok, I don't want to come off as I'm complaining...well, I guess I am complaining... BUT...
Honda, has one of the most sophisticated humanoid robots in the world today, and the A.I. software is nothing short of state of the art.. So, why can't Honda build better software for their driver assist software? I mean when I'm on the highway, and I'm running the L.K.A.S., if there's more than a slight curve in the road, it's all it can do to stay in it's lane without me pulling back on the wheel..It's not like I'm trying to drive it like a Tesla car ( although would be nice) , but if Honda could beef up their software to at least takes the curves better.
Is it that Honda doesn't have the expertise to better their software? And it can't be because they will think that people will climb in the backseat and have a nap..because you can't take your hands of the wheel for more than 30 seconds at a time...So why are they so lame on their software?
Thank you,
Dana
Dana I believe what we have here is gremlins in the system this is a new model year lots of bugs to work out as time goes by I'm sure they will be worked out, that said Honda is ginormous company they manufacture everything from cars to generators, Atv's and of course robots...ext
same company different entity's and as much as we would like to think the technologies could cross platforms it doesn't really work that way :thumbsup:

OP
OP

dana0069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic touring
Country flag
Honda started designing this 2016 Civic probably at least 3 years ago? They had to lock the "base hardware" back then. So if a company comes along to say "I can do this cheaper today, but my product won't be out until a year from now", I believe it. By that time, NVidia Tesla K40 video card will be $400, not $3000 of today's price.

We shall see if Comma AI will be a sustaining business.
Comma AI , sustaining or not...The point is he can and has done it, and all for under $ 1000.00 ( and he's still making a profit at that price )

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
Making money per unit sold VS having a bottom line profit are two VERY different things.

The "sustaining" is a very important part if you want to bring up startups in tech.

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
George Hotz of Comma AI says he plans on selling a diy kit for under a $ 1000.00 retail using off the shelf products, using open source software that is equal to anything a Tesla can do, then surely Honda can do the same and probably for half the price that George Hotz can do it for, unless they're using tech's from back in the Commodore 64 age..!!!
And....the verdict is out.....Not sure why the foresight on "regulators and lawyers" just now came to the founder's mind.....

http://jalopnik.com/hacker-geohotz-kills-999-comma-one-self-driving-car-ki-1788323010

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
O.M.G. You took the words right out of my mouth..!!! I have a friend of mine who just bought a 2017 Hyundai Elantra, and it has very similar software, except his l.k.a.s actually works..
Hey! So does mine! And I have a 2016 civic touring :) it works so well!

kyle_agronick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
Its not that the software can't. Its that they programmed it to give up if conditions aren't 100% perfect. If it needs to turn the wheel over a certain number of degrees to make a turn it gives up. If the lines are not super visible it gives up.

I think they are testing the water with it. They didn't want it to be anything more than a guidance system. As a first generation system they didn't want it to do anything more than nudge you where it thinks the car should go if it is 100% sure. The software is capable of driving the car fine. If we could see the software, changing its confidence, disabling the warning messages, and letting it take any kind of turn are probably just settings.

It would be great if they pushed out an update to make it more confident. All the hardware it needs is there. Its the same hardware the Teslas had.

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
Then there is the morality portion of it that they have yet to figure it out. If a pedestrian jump out in front of the car in a one lane road with trees on both sides where the car is physically impossible to stop in time, what should the car do? Plow the pedestrian or endanger the driver's life by saving the pedestrian life and run the car into the trees?

MIT is set out to answer that question: http://moralmachine.mit.edu/

I'd argue the hardware is hardly there yet as the full capability (hence full software) is far from being there.
Sponsored