So we've confirmed the Type R will be made for many more model years?

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I've read on this forum that the car will be made as long the 10th generation is produced.

That is to say every model year will have a type r

Correct fellas?
Sponsored

CivicNut1109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Civic Si Coupe
I've read on this forum that the car will be made as long the 10th generation is produced.

That is to say every model year will have a type r

Correct fellas?
To be fair, I think the only CONFIRMED one is that it'll be made for 2018. I'm sure that it'll be made for as long as 10th gens are though, unless it somehow seriously bombs in the sales

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I believe one of the main reasons why Honda didn't bring the DC5 Type R to the states was because of emissions.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Well. If those so called"helpful socal honda dealers" insist of charging adm and the car won't sell. Honda will discontinue production for sure.

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic w/ B18c5, 2016 Honda Accord EX w/ Honda Sensing
Country flag
Nothing is confirmed past 2018. I'm sure it will all depends on total Civic sales, not just the Type R. Honda has stated that they "can" ramp up production. But never said they would.

I would hope they continue the Type R as long as the 10th gen is produced. But to answer your question, No there is no confirmation that Honda will continue past 2018.

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just my humble opinion....Common business sense would dictate the Type R will continue for the life of the 10th gen. Why invest all this engineering into a product only to sell it for 1 year? Why spend time & money making Nurburing lap time history? Afterall, it is still a Civic and Honda can still make money on a mass produced platform with "engine and suspension upgrades". Return on investment I would think involves a number of years on the market.

Last edited:

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just my humble opinion....Common business sense would dictate the Type R will continue for the life of the 10th gen. Why invest all this engineering into a product only to sell it for 1 year? Why spend time & money making Nurburing lap time history? Afterall, it is still a Civic and Honda can still make money on a mass produced platform with "engine and suspension upgrades". Return on investment I would think involves a number ideas on the market.
I agree, that makes sense to me as well. However we shouldn't say that it is for sure when we don't know. But I agree 100%, It would make plenty of sense that it would go the whole production run of the 10th gen Civic.

S&R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Itr
I agree, that makes sense to me as well. However we shouldn't say that it is for sure when we don't know. But I agree 100%, It would make plenty of sense that it would go the whole production run of the 10th gen Civic.
How many years are left in the 10th gen civic?

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How many years are left in the 10th gen civic?
They usually do it in 6 year intervals I think. So we probably have about another 3-4 years at least. Maybe more since this platform is so nice. But again that's not confirmed information either, just my educated guess.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
The 10th gen will get a mid year refresh in a few years. Typically just new bumper design and other cosmetic changes. I doubt the engine would change. The 1.5T and 2.0T are here to stay.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
but didn't they say they "could" make a more "extreme" Type R later in the lifecycle?

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
but didn't they say they "could" make a more "extreme" Type R later in the lifecycle?
That's the rumor. Honda will never tell the public in advance though.

The FK2 received a limited production black edition but it was purely cosmetic.

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
Because this is a Global model, it probably will last the life of the 10th gen. Had it just been a US exclusives car, I'd have a lot more doubts about it. However since it is, I'm hopeful there will be plenty for anyone who wants one in a couple years from now.

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
They usually do it in 6 year intervals I think. So we probably have about another 3-4 years at least. Maybe more since this platform is so nice. But again that's not confirmed information either, just my educated guess.
It use to be 4 years. Then they stretched the 8th gen to 5.