So Used To Driving W/ ECON On

SonicHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 350Z, Element SC
Country flag
I drove my car in Econ mode for half a tank of fuel, really didn't see any redeeming qualities to continue using it.
Sponsored

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
You just described how I drive my WRX lol. Leave the stop light soft in first (but just high enough to hear boost), then hard in second so I get tons of spool sound, shift into 3rd while hitting 15psi so my BOV sings for me.

If you enjoy any aspect of your car, exploit that and get the most out of it. To coin a very over-used phrase, but seems appropriate, "Life is short, do what makes you happy"!
Yessssss! :D

mb411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport, Sonic Pearl, CVT, 20% Tint all around, Aftermarket HID 6k kit
Country flag
I've owned my 2017 Sport Hatch 6MT since November, and like my previous 2014 Civic Coupe LX, I pretty much always drive in ECON mode. This car, being my first MT vehicle, has been great to drive. Even in Economy, I've been impressed with the performance. I guess I had gotten so use to running it in Economy, that I'd forgotten to see what it felt like with it off. It was after midnight, the roads were virtually empty, and I decided to have a little fun from a few stop lights. I turned off ECON, and launched it fairly gently, and applied only about 30-50% throttle. I noticed quite the difference immediately! Looks like I'll be turning off ECON a lot more from here on out.[/Q
I personally do the same thing. I am in a CVT model and that darn gas pedal is too touchy in Normal mode. I have only had the car about a month so I haven't really used sport mode. I do enjoy being "grounded to the ground" because of the feeling of moving faster than you really are so maybe that helps with the me not speeding so bad in this car. :D

pincusterp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX
Econ will only gain me about a half more mpg, so I never use it anymore. I usually drive easy anyway. I've tried it both ways, and the weak peddle just doesn't equate with the barely noticeable mpg improvement. I even got 2 more mpg on one tank without it. What alot of people don't realize is, if you have to push the pedal harder to compensate for the weak acceleration, then it doesn't really help. It's okay for slow city traffic, but I don't care for it.
This ^^^ is what I've noticed as well. I've gotten better mpg for the most part since I turned off Econ a few weeks ago. I also drive pretty easy ... except when I need/want the power.

mb411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport, Sonic Pearl, CVT, 20% Tint all around, Aftermarket HID 6k kit
Country flag
Econ will only gain me about a half more mpg, so I never use it anymore. I usually drive easy anyway. I've tried it both ways, and the weak peddle just doesn't equate with the barely noticeable mpg improvement. I even got 2 more mpg on one tank without it. What a lot of people don't realize is, if you have to push the pedal harder to compensate for the weak acceleration, then it doesn't really help. It's okay for slow city traffic, but I don't care for it.
Well to be fair if you floor it in Econ it is Definitely slower than if you do it in normal so I don't seen how pedal travel with pushing it harder is going to hurt if that makes any sense. Also, I was under the impression Econ also reduced some type of strain on the A/C. Anyone confirm this? I know that is how the ECO mode works in Hyundai's and Nissan's.

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
I think ECON might help me but what I know for sure is that if you turn off ECON and put it in Sport gear it turns into a different car. So I leave it in ECON and Drive. I get a really nice commuter car that way.

chokesmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX Manual 2016
Country flag
I live in a hilly town so the Econ button is useless for me... It's either I'm in high load because I'm going up hill or I'm engine braking because i'm going down.
Sponsored