So many problems!

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, Rallye Red
Country flag
I have a 2016 EX-T Sedan. Leased in April of 2016 for three years.

I have had nothing but problems out of this car, and no one can help me. I've called Honda customer service, taken it to the dealership numerous times, etc. Nothing is being done.

Here is a list of the problems I'm having.

Got locked out of the car. Only yellow lights on. Had to use key. Alarm went off waking people up at the hotel early in the morning. Happened twice.

Front/Read passenger side window not working. Happened maybe 10 times.

Head unit beeping constantly exiting what is on the screen. Happens numerous times a week.

Certain mp3s won’t play that used to. Has been this way since December.

All USB drives not recognized. Happened for two months then started working, which led up to the mp3s not playing.

Auto lock/unlock not working properly. Happens multiple times weekly.

Trunk not releasing. Happened a few times.

Bad wheel bearing at 15k miles.

Rev hang when accelerating. Happens a few times a week or two.

Satellite radio losing signal on a clear day with no hills/trees/buildings in the way. Happens all the time.

Radio turning itself off. Does this right before the beeping starts.

Brake hold turning itself off. Numerous times.

Parking brake engaging by itself. Happened a few times.

I am a loyal Honda owner. I've driven Hondas since 1998 and this is my 5th Honda. I have never had so many problems out of a car before. The worst thing is, no one can help me or offer any solutions. It's like "Yeah, we see the problem, but there is nothing we can do, sorry.". And that's it.

Would this be qualified as a lemon under law? I have to drive this car for two more years, and I don't think I can handle all of these problems for that long.
Sponsored

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I have a 2016 EX-T Sedan. Leased in April of 2016 for three years.

I have had nothing but problems out of this car, and no one can help me. I've called Honda customer service, taken it to the dealership numerous times, etc. Nothing is being done.

I am a loyal Honda owner. I've driven Hondas since 1998 and this is my 5th Honda. I have never had so many problems out of a car before. The worst thing is, no one can help me or offer any solutions. It's like "Yeah, we see the problem, but there is nothing we can do, sorry.". And that's it.

Would this be qualified as a lemon under law? I have to drive this car for two more years, and I don't think I can handle all of these problems for that long.
Yes, you can do anything you want at this point. If you want the car replaced..and I certainly would..then go to the dealer and request it get replaced. They might argue with you a little bit but they can't argue too much because obviously the car is a lemon. Just write down all these problems on a computer, print it out and give it to them. They probably can't reasonably fix all the problems..there's just too many. What would I do? I'd look into getting a different model or a different car altogether. The EX-T just ain't gonna cut it, too much technology. I'd request an LX or a different car like an accord and work out the appropriate deal. I wouldn't let them extend the lease on me unless they were really cooperative and professional. No reason to scream or yell you just need a different car at this point. I know there's taxes and title as well but you might have to suck it up for your sanity.

Also, before you do anything look up the lemon laws for your state as every state is different. Even if your car doesn't apply you still have a strong case to force the dealer to do something about all these problems you have.

Finally, I know your frustrated but I always find it's best to keep my cool and just state my case and usually get customer satisfaction. The dealer may give you a surprising solution, if it's a reasonable solution then accept it. If it's not, don't accept it and press for a much better solution. I think you've got a great case and I wish you the best of luck..please keep us posted on what happens!

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the solution to many of your problems is already in the forum, the others are in the user manual.

OP
OP

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, you can do anything you want at this point. If you want the car replaced..and I certainly would..then go to the dealer and request it get replaced. They might argue with you a little bit but they can't argue too much because obviously the car is a lemon. Just write down all these problems on a computer, print it out and give it to them. They probably can't reasonably fix all the problems..there's just too many. What would I do? I'd look into getting a different model or a different car altogether. The EX-T just ain't gonna cut it, too much technology. I'd request an LX or a different car like an accord and work out the appropriate deal. I wouldn't let them extend the lease on me unless they were really cooperative and professional. No reason to scream or yell you just need a different car at this point. I know there's taxes and title as well but you might have to suck it up for your sanity.

Also, before you do anything look up the lemon laws for your state as every state is different. Even if your car doesn't apply you still have a strong case to force the dealer to do something about all these problems you have.

Finally, I know your frustrated but I always find it's best to keep my cool and just state my case and usually get customer satisfaction. The dealer may give you a surprising solution, if it's a reasonable solution then accept it. If it's not, don't accept it and press for a much better solution. I think you've got a great case and I wish you the best of luck..please keep us posted on what happens!
I'm not too sure I can get a replacement. Every time I take it in, they can't replicate the problems because they don't happen all the time. It's very random, but consistent. They always tell me they will look at it, then say the problem didn't happen for them. I even spoke with the main manager of the dealership and he's just like that's too bad, but my daughter loves hers. I don't think they take me seriously and it's not like I can just drive there every time the problem occurs for them to look at. I guess if the problem isn't happening right then, it's not their problem.

OP
OP

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
the solution to many of your problems is already in the forum, the others are in the user manual.
Yes, some solutions are posted such as the screen beeping, but the solution doesn't work. My screen sensitivity was already set to low. I don't think the owners manual talks about songs not playing from a flash drive. I've tried four, all fat32, various sizes, different songs from different sources, same problem. Also, there is no software update or TSB for it, they checked.

There is something seriously wrong with my car and it goes beyond normal.

OP
OP

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I looked up lemon law for my state.

"The law requires manufacturers to repair any defect that impairs the use, value, or safety of a new motor vehicle within the first 2 years OR 24,000 miles, whichever comes first.".
"Under the lemon law, when your manufacturer is unable to fix the defect, you get to choose either:
  • A comparable new car.
    OR
  • A refund."
So it looks like the law is on my side, but what happens if the problem doesn't occur while they're looking at it at the dealership? I have a video of the windows not working and I can take one of the screen beeping.

Also, it doesn't say that they have to attempt to fix the problem or not. I mean, how can they attempt to fix a problem that isn't occurring at the time? Not too sure about that.

Last edited:

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I looked up lemon law for my state.

"The law requires manufacturers to repair any defect that impairs the use, value, or safety of a new motor vehicle within the first 2 years OR 24,000 miles, whichever comes first.".
"Under the lemon law, when your manufacturer is unable to fix the defect, you get to choose either:
  • A comparable new car.
    OR
  • A refund."
So it looks like the law is on my side, but what happens if the problem doesn't occur while they're looking at it at the dealership? I have a video of the windows not working and I can take one of the screen beeping.

Also, it doesn't say that they have to attempt to fix the problem or not. I mean, how can they attempt to fix a problem that isn't occurring at the time? Not too sure about that.
The only thing I can suggest is to take videos when problems occur and document everything on a spreadsheet as well. When it comes to intermittent problems the video will be the only thing that can convince the dealer or the court. That line about "my daughter loves her civic" is BS.

You can win this case, easy.
Sponsored