So I'm kind of worried about the 1.5L mod-ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
With both an existing turbo + cvt is there a lot of room for improvement without sacrificing reliability or warranty?
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
With both an existing turbo + cvt is there a lot of room for improvement without sacrificing reliability or warranty?
From what I've seen on the forums the answer is nobody knows. Ive seen people saying this thing is maxed out, and I've seen them saying they're gonna mod it to an SI. As far as warranty goes I've always understood any modding voids everything, but some people have mentioned some dealers being cool with mods as long as the messed up part wasn't affected by it.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
You can get a tune from KTuner now, ready to ship out this week. $450 shipped to your door. I want to see other people use it first though as I am weary of how the car will take the added power.

I posted about it in the other section.

Diversion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think there's a lot of potential in the aftermarket for this car.. I don't know if the lack of availability of this car/engine combo in Japan is hurting the aftermarket parts or if it's just because it doesn't wear the Si name or being seen as a potential platform to mod on. The new non-Si Civic is a huge departure from all previous years of DX/LX/EX lines that had regular, typical non-tuner type engines.. I think it will take a few years before see a gamut of upgrades for the 1.5T.. I don't see lots of suspension parts coming until the actual Si/Type R come out.. Obviously the new 1.5T is turning heads but probably not a big enough audience out there for some parts makers to make money from.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Honda generally overbuilds their powertrains. And with the Si/CTR yet to be announced, most aftermarket development in the US is focused on the 1.5T/CVT (for now).

That said, you're still burning the candle at both ends from a mod perspective.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Turbo engines generally can see big gains with just a computer reflash, much bigger than a naturally aspirated engine. If you are concerned about the CVT, you can wait for the manual.

Diversion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not worried about the potential of the engine more than i'm worried about anybody making mods for it.. I just don't think we will see a lot any time soon.. Besides an ECU tune, the downpipe would net a vast improvement (especially in catless form).. Usually tune and downpipe are the easiest cost effective mods for a turbo to get "easy" power.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think it's going to depend where the bottleneck is. On some platforms the intake is the most restrictive. Others prevent the user from touching any hard parts unless paired with a higher efficiency HPFP.

My take: The TD03 seems close to max efficiency @ 16.5 PSI. I suspect a majority of the gains could be had in the mid range. Also, could be wrong... but doesn't look like a lot of flexibility between the turbo and CBE.

Honda Civic 10th gen So I'm kind of worried about the 1.5L mod-ability Honda-1.5L-Turbo-Engine-1

Diversion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think it's going to depend where the bottleneck is. On some platforms the intake is the most restrictive. Others prevent the user from touching any hard parts unless paired with a higher efficiency HPFP.

My take: The TD03 seems close to max efficiency @ 16.5 PSI. I suspect a majority of the gains could be had in the mid range. Also, could be wrong... but doesn't look like a lot of flexibility between the turbo and CBE.

Honda Civic 10th gen So I'm kind of worried about the 1.5L mod-ability Honda-1.5L-Turbo-Engine-1
I removed the splash guard and panel under my car and it looks like it's pretty free flowing besides the cat in place.. I think I saw two cats, one in the downpipe and one further back before the CBE. I could see high flow cats doing pretty decent here unlocking some power. Yes, the turbo is capped out on pressure, I wonder if a bolt on turbo will ever be a reality.. Something slightly larger, nothing crazy.

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
I removed the splash guard and panel under my car and it looks like it's pretty free flowing besides the cat in place.. I think I saw two cats, one in the downpipe and one further back before the CBE. I could see high flow cats doing pretty decent here unlocking some power. Yes, the turbo is capped out on pressure, I wonder if a bolt on turbo will ever be a reality.. Something slightly larger, nothing crazy.
Of course it will. Somebody will do it. We are talking about a Civic here.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
My opinion is that with aftermarket help such as a tune and a downpipe we are looking at a minimum +70hp attainable.

With a good clutch, the 1.5T 6MT will be a very good performer.

The problems I see are that there's no way a Civic CVT will tolerate those kind of power increases, and also likely Honda will deny drive train warranty claims for any tuned cars. Even if you removed the tune and/or parts prior to service, at the very least Honda will be able to scan your ECU and determine if a tune had ever been loaded.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
If your looking for really big gains I would not buy a Civic with a CVT. I would wait for the 6 speed or the SI/R.

Last edited:

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
Once we have the 1.5T with 6MT in the market the amount of modded civics you see will triple compared to CVT, and so will the data on HP gains and reliability.

OP
OP
DX2000

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I am surprised how many people want MT. I think CVT is superior but to each his own.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
I'm getting the cvt in a sedan but also not looking for engine mods at all. I always felt if you want a fast car buy a fast car. Dont put a loud exhaust on a car so it sounds loud. Put a few cosmetic upgrades and your good. Just my opinion...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.