So, I just bought my Sport Touring...

Warwicke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
Well, first off, hi everyone. Just joined this forum very recently and have been following posts as I was researching into the Type R and the hatchback for the past couple months. The Type-R seemed essentially unfeasible to acquire due to limited supply and high demand, so I said fuck it--I'll get the hatchback (even though I really, really wanted the Type-R), which I was thrilled with once I bought and begun immediately planning to upgrade it to enhance it to some more impressive levels.

Therein lies the problem. It's a CVT and I did not know CVTs were so limited in their thresholds for torque apparently as I've read from some posts here and from Hondata. I bought a nice cold air intake, the Hondata and eventually have a downpipe on the way once it's in stock (but will probably cancel now). But, that's just it; I can't equip all of these parts can I? With the intake and downpipe with the Hondata...it's too much isn't it? :\

I appreciate any feedback and insight into this situation and I apologize for coming on in here like some super rookie in the auto arena, but man, I'm like uncertain as to what to do.
Sponsored

CDub_1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX-L Navi, 1995 Accord EX-L
Country flag
I would like some info on the Hondata. How exactly is this done and does it void warranty? I see they have an OBD adapter. You just buy that and it's plug and play? Or can it be done at a dealer?

Props on the purchase, though. I'm sure you'll be really happy with the car, the Touring is a keeper.

OP
OP
Warwicke

Warwicke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would like some info on the Hondata. How exactly is this done and does it void warranty? I see they have an OBD adapter. You just buy that and it's plug and play? Or can it be done at a dealer?

Props on the purchase, though. I'm sure you'll be really happy with the car, the Touring is a keeper.
No, I know it's a nice car, but I don't want to be limited in capabilities of upgrading parts because of some wimpy CVT nonsense. In hindsight, I wish I had known MORE about the CVT's limitations, but of course I didn't and just assumed they could handle performance upgrades. I can drive manual, but I was like, meh, automatic with paddleshifters will be a nice change, so whatever. Lo and behold, made a mistake I think...

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
limited supply and high demand,
Bullshit, you can get a Type R as long as you're willing to pay more than the next guy in line.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Well, first off, hi everyone. Just joined this forum very recently and have been following posts as I was researching into the Type R and the hatchback for the past couple months. The Type-R seemed essentially unfeasible to acquire due to limited supply and high demand, so I said fuck it--I'll get the hatchback (even though I really, really wanted the Type-R), which I was thrilled with once I bought and begun immediately planning to upgrade it to enhance it to some more impressive levels.

Therein lies the problem. It's a CVT and I did not know CVTs were so limited in their thresholds for torque apparently as I've read from some posts here and from Hondata. I bought a nice cold air intake, the Hondata and eventually have a downpipe on the way once it's in stock (but will probably cancel now). But, that's just it; I can't equip all of these parts can I? With the intake and downpipe with the Hondata...it's too much isn't it? :\

I appreciate any feedback and insight into this situation and I apologize for coming on in here like some super rookie in the auto arena, but man, I'm like uncertain as to what to do.
I think you are the right at where the limit at..or just slight above that. Came across this article over the weekend.

http://jalopnik.com/honda-kept-the-...ource=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

OP
OP
Warwicke

Warwicke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
*nods, thats kind of how supply and demand works. id love a type R myself too! maybe in a year or two. =)
Yeah, but I'd have to wait until next year essentially if I did want to get the Type R due to THIS year's limited supply, and my lease is up this year, hence why I went with the Hatchback (which I definitely like). I'm just ultimately venting/requesting insight as to just how limited am I to upgrading my CVT. I mean, with a downpipe, hondata, and the coldair intake, it's pretty much a bad idea right? :\

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I mean, with a downpipe, hondata, and the coldair intake, it's pretty much a bad idea right? :\
Just skip the downpipe, do the other 2, and enjoy the car? Plenty of power right there and if you still need more, then you really bought the wrong car. Better off spending that money on a rear sway bar, better tires, etc... downpipes don't seem to be a big upgrade item for the 1.5T engines.

audio27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sienna SE
Congrats on your purchase!

I'm also looking into a Sport Touring, but I'm intrigued with the SI due to it being about $5k less and has all the options I need.

What made you decide on the SI vs ST?
Sponsored