Si's have defective clutch?

Does your Si have a clutch that slips when its cold (first 5 10 min of driving after car has sat)?

• Total voters

grantsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Curious how many are seeing clutch slipping in your Si's . My car has just started to have slipping clutch when its warming up - 5 to 10 minutes. Usually slips in higher gears when under full power.

I drove a different 2017 Si on my test drive and noticed clutch slipping on that car. I test drove my car and didn't get it to slip so thought I was OK. However just started to see clutch slip now. Im very easy on clutches so to me appears 2017 Si's have a defective clutch. Im wondering if this is a clutch plate issue or clutch slave?

I have had cars that have clutch slave issues that mimic a slipping clutch plate.
Sponsored

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Curious how many are seeing clutch slipping in your Si's . My car has just started to have slipping clutch when its warming up - 5 to 10 minutes. Usually slips in higher gears when under full power.

I drove a different 2017 Si on my test drive and noticed clutch slipping on that car. I test drove my car and didn't get it to slip so thought I was OK. However just started to see clutch slip now. Im very easy on clutches so to me appears 2017 Si's have a defective clutch. Im wondering if this is a clutch plate issue or clutch slave?

I have had cars that have clutch slave issues that mimic a slipping clutch plate.
You sure you aren’t talking about bucking, or the wheels breaking loose? I’ve driven manual for 20 years, and currently have a new Si and a 21 year old Accord manual. They are completely different in terms of clutch feel, like most cars. If you don’t have a smooth engagement when shifting, you will get a bucking motion, but that is not clutch slippage. I highly doubt you are experiencing slippage on two new Honda’s.

OP
OP

grantsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
You sure you aren’t talking about bucking, or the wheels breaking loose? I’ve driven manual for 20 years, and currently have a new Si and a 21 year old Accord manual. They are completely different in terms of clutch feel, like most cars. If you don’t have a smooth engagement when shifting, you will get a bucking motion, but that is not clutch slippage. I highly doubt you are experiencing slippage on two new Honda’s.
....Let me see. I have been driving and racing manual trans cars for 30 years. Multiple Hondas, multiple nissans, several Porsches , Mazdas and an Audi or two. I indicated slip happening in higher gears under power, not while shifting. Not slipping during shift but when in same gear under acceleration from about 3000 to 5000 rpm. No tire slipping . I have driven sports cars over 120k miles on same clutch and I'm not abusive. Racing cars I know what clutch slip feels like. Nope clutches or slaves are a problem on 2017 Si. I bet there are more reports of this in future. And in fact clutches on both cars both first car I tested and now mine were slipping. Now have a couple more data points that point to real issue. Bet this pops up as bigger issue

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
....Let me see. I have been driving and racing manual trans cars for 30 years. Multiple Hondas, multiple nissans, several Porsches , Mazdas and an Audi or two. I indicated slip happening in higher gears under power, not while shifting. Not slipping during shift but when in same gear under acceleration from about 3000 to 5000 rpm. No tire slipping . I have driven sports cars over 120k miles on same clutch and I'm not abusive. Racing cars I know what clutch slip feels like. Nope clutches or slaves are a problem on 2017 Si. I bet there are more reports of this in future. And in fact clutches on both cars both first car I tested and now mine were slipping. Now have a couple more data points that point to real issue. Bet this pops up as bigger issue
No insult implied, just asking questions. It appears that you are in the minority in experiencing this. We will see what time will tell for others.

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2014 Kia Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's a know fact that the clutches in these cars are the weak link. They barely handle the stock power levels, and are a ticking time bomb with a tune or minor bolt-ons. Not much we can do about it though however, unless you want to fork over the coin to upgrade it.

OP
OP

grantsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
It's a know fact that the clutches in these cars are the weak link. They barely handle the stock power levels, and are a ticking time bomb with a tune or minor bolt-ons. Not much we can do about it though however, unless you want to fork over the coin to upgrade it.
Would think if I drove stock car off showroom with 1 mile on odometer for test drive and was accelerating onto freeway during test drive with clutch slipping that this is a warranty issue. Just want to see how many others are experiencing this problem. If enough of us complain Honda should do right thing and provide proper clutch. It's in Hondas best interest to address issue. I agree the clutch is a real weak point on these cars.

OP
OP

grantsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
No insult implied, just asking questions. It appears that you are in the minority in experiencing this. We will see what time will tell for others.
No insult taken just indicating I have experience to know what a slipping clutch is in a vehicle. I don't believe I'm in miniority either. To see this in two new 2017 Si I have driven isn't a coincidence. Also seeing reports of this from other forum members in cars with very low mileage.

Also seeing people with minor tunes needing to upgrade clutches. That's not something that usua happens unless a manufacturer either specs a clutch that is right on limit or has clutch slave or installation issue.

Test this get on flat open road just as car is warming up and peg throttle at about 3000 rpm in 3 rd gear as you are rolling. This puts max torque to higher gear ratio and will put clutch to test . See if rpms jump out of synch with your speed. It's very subtle but clutch on some cars does slip. Weird thing is it seems to get better when car is warmed up. So wondering also if clutch was installed incorrectly in manufacturing.

If you detect any slip in first 10,000 miles report it to dealer. Honda needs to know there is an issue. They are a quality company and will address problem in manufacturing and probably give us who are seeing issues upgraded clutches.

Last edited:

Blackbettysi

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lunar Silver SI Coupe
Country flag
I've not noticed any slipping...5500 mi in 3 mo...still good for me.
My clutch slipped all the time when I 1st bought it but every time the dealer test drove it said it was just heat soak since it was summertime still does it in 3rd gear under 4th rattle before the tune and with the tune. Clutch also feels very stiff sometimes and other times very light. Obviously I Flash it back to stock one taken it to the dealer doesn't seem to do it except in 3rd gear with the stock tune

2Smoker119

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, 2008 Accord v6
Country flag
No insult taken just indicating I have experience to know what a slipping clutch is in a vehicle. I don't believe I'm in miniority either. To see this in two new 2017 Si I have driven isn't a coincidence. Also seeing reports of this from other forum members in cars with very low mileage.

Also seeing people with minor tunes needing to upgrade clutches. That's not something that usua happens unless a manufacturer either specs a clutch that is right on limit or has clutch slave or installation issue.

Test this get on flat open road just as car is warming up and peg throttle at about 3000 rpm in 5 th gear as you are rolling. This puts max torque to higher gear ratio and will put clutch to test . See if rpms jump out of synch with your speed. It's very subtle but clutch on some cars does slip. Weird thing is it seems to get better when car is warmed up. So wondering also if clutch was installed incorrectly in manufacturing.

If you detect any slip in first 10,000 miles report it to dealer. Honda needs to know there is an issue. They are a quality company and will address problem in manufacturing and probably give us who are seeing issues upgraded clutches.
I have 6000 miles on my Si. I haven't noticed any slippage. I will test this asap and report back.

mp2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 NSX, 2017 SI sedan
if you're talking about the traction control light coming on even though the tires aren't loosing traction, than mine has done it since day one.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
No issues here at 9,300 miles.

wesgoood

First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si MSM
Zero issues with a +9psi tune. Going to get the stage 2 ktuner/dp combo from Vit and I'm sure it will be fine. Mostly because I don't beat the ever living shit out of my car on public roads ...because ...not race track(spirited driving is different than driving like you stole it). Also at 5k miles.

OP
OP

grantsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Zero issues with a +9psi tune. Going to get the stage 2 ktuner/dp combo from Vit and I'm sure it will be fine. Mostly because I don't beat the ever living shit out of my car on public roads ...because ...not race track(spirited driving is different than driving like you stole it). Also at 5k miles.
Im a 56 year old guy (not boi racer thrashing my car - if anything you will find us guys who race on track dont race on street) who commutes in rush hour traffic and I dont beat on the car. Test drive of the new SI that was different car was me with my wife and sales guy in the car and I was just accelerating onto freeway . Noticed car running RPMs up when clutch was already deployed. Though thats weird? If anything I pretty much put my Si in 6th gear and cruise. And clutch slip is happening when car is in gear usually in 3rd or 4th gear. My car has never been tracked and it was driven at one AX but even at AX it was put in 2nd gear and driven around course with no shifting. Will change test input to 3rd gear as youd have to speed to do test in 5th.

Funny thing I originally was thinking oh maybe Honda built in a clutch slip at low RPM to allow turbo to spool up faster. LOL!
Sponsored

Last edited: