• Total voters

poodlejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Sirimoto Strut Bar Hatch Install IMG_0617

My 2017 EX hatch has black reinforcement plates on the strut towers... these plates don't lie flat but instead rise 1.5mm between each strut bolt/stud.

Honda Civic 10th gen Sirimoto Strut Bar Hatch Install IMG_0667

It was suggested to me that I remove the reinforcement plates, but I want to keep this car very close to stock, so instead I put a 30mm od stainless steel washer between the reinforcement plate and the strut bar mount. The washer is 2mm thick and raises the Sirimoto mount above the arch in the reinforcement plate.

Honda Civic 10th gen Sirimoto Strut Bar Hatch Install SiriMoto%20Strut%20Bar%20Mounting%202017%20Civic%20Hatchback

This doesn't leave much thread showing above the nuts, so I used a thread-locking compound (blue loctite).

Last edited:

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Mine had the same plates, I left them there, must be there for some reason, all is good with my strut bar......

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Can you try and flex the strut bar? Like put both hands on it and really try and flex it, does it flex? I'm considering getting one, but if it flexes, theres no point since it's weaker than the chassis itself.

OP
OP
poodlejuice

poodlejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
Can you try and flex the strut bar? Like put both hands on it and really try and flex it, does it flex? I'm considering getting one, but if it flexes, theres no point since it's weaker than the chassis itself.
I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, Mugenkb1. I pushed on it pretty hard and it's stout! It's also great for hangin' out with my poodle.
Best,
Robert

Honda Civic 10th gen Sirimoto Strut Bar Hatch Install IMG_0973

OP
OP
poodlejuice

poodlejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
people like you who post review + guide online deserve a medal. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, Mokylim. I swear the car dove better immediately. I'm not an expert driver, but I put it in and went to the mountains and it felt much better.
Best,
Robert

mokylim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic LX-P
Country flag
Thanks, Mokylim. I swear the car dove better immediately. I'm not an expert driver, but I put it in and went to the mountains and it felt much better.
Best,
Robert
dammit..
i dont need this
i dont need this
i dont need this
i dont need this
i dont need this
i dont need this
i dont need this
i dont need this

CivicLX2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_0617.jpg

My 2017 EX hatch has black reinforcement plates on the strut towers... these plates don't lie flat but instead rise 1.5mm between each strut bolt/stud.

IMG_0667.jpg

It was suggested to me that I remove the reinforcement plates, but I want to keep this car very close to stock, so instead I put a 30mm od stainless steel washer between the reinforcement plate and the strut bar mount. The washer is 2mm thick and raises the Sirimoto mount above the arch in the reinforcement plate.

SiriMoto%20Strut%20Bar%20Mounting%202017%20Civic%20Hatchback.jpg

This doesn't leave much thread showing above the nuts, so I used a thread-locking compound (blue loctite).
Thanks for posting this. I just bought the hatch base plates to use on my Sedan and didn't realize there would be an issue.

What would happen if I didn't use the washer? Would it simply not install or would damage be the issue?

OP
OP
poodlejuice

poodlejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
Because my tower reinforcement plates (black) are not flat, omitting the washers would prevent the sirimoto end plates from meeting the reinforcement plates at the shock studs; there would be empty space between the sirimoto plates and the reinforcement plates at the stud, and the shocks would not be secure, but would instead rotate and slide when driving.

Thanks for posting this. I just bought the hatch base plates to use on my Sedan and didn't realize there would be an issue.

What would happen if I didn't use the washer? Would it simply not install or would damage be the issue?

CivicLX2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Mine had the same plates, I left them there, must be there for some reason, all is good with my strut bar......
It's there to prevent the strut towers from mushrooming...weird that it''s only necessary for Hatches

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's there to prevent the strut towers from mushrooming...weird that it''s only necessary for Hatches
Only necessary for the hatch or is that just when the engineers figured it out? That’s a question for Honda I suppose.

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@poodlejuice thanks for this post, even though its been over a year, this was the best explanation I've seen for the whole using washers thing that i keep seeing for this strut bar. I just ordered one this morning can't wait to get it installed!!
Sponsored