Silverstar Ultra's?

fitforhealth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Hello all,

I recently bought a set of H11 Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's hoping they would provide a bit whiter light and greater visibility at night. I put them in this morning, and after turning on the headlights, noticed they were brighter and slightly whiter.

However, after putting my hand in front of the headlight lens, noticed quite a bit of heat. Can anyone advise whether I should be worried about any issues with heat and potential melting of the housing/wiring with these bulbs?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
They do run hotter than stock bulbs. And they burn out quicker too.

I've used Silverstar Ultras on every car prior to my Touring and swore by them. People flashed me constantly- they were incredibly bright and made a profound difference driving at night.

Don't be too worried about the heat- it's normal. They'll likely last 1-2 years before needing replacing. If they die in under a year, Sylvania will replace or refund (forget which) them.

OP
OP

fitforhealth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
They do run hotter than stock bulbs. And they burn out quicker too.

I've used Silverstar Ultras on every car prior to my Touring and swore by them. People flashed me constantly- they were incredibly bright and made a profound difference driving at night.

Don't be too worried about the heat- it's normal. They'll likely last 1-2 years before needing replacing. If they die in under a year, Sylvania will replace or refund (forget which) them.

Yeah I've read from plenty of other folks that these bulbs will most likely have a short life span, and I'm ok with that; seems like a fair tradeoff for increased visibility and safety while driving at night. On the package, it states they run at 55w like the OEM bulbs so sounds like they'll be fine. Was only concerned with any damage that might have been done and then repaired out of my own pocket due to it not qualifying as a warranty repair.

I drove with the Ultra's for the first time tonight, and there's a big difference!...I can see much better, so i'm satisfied so far. Thanks for the response.

CosmicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2014 Honda Civic EX-L Navi
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Silverstar Ultras don't last long at all...you should try LEDs...much brighter and cleaner light too...Philips Extreme Vision have closest light cutoff to halogens.

Honda Civic 10th gen Silverstar Ultra's? 20160324_214939

OP
OP

fitforhealth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
The Silverstar Ultras don't last long at all...you should try LEDs...much brighter and cleaner light too...Philips Extreme Vision have closest light cutoff to halogens.

20160324_214939.jpg
I did seriously think about LED's, I see that Phillips make a halogen replacement called Extreme Vision, is there a plug and play LED version I could use, or what do you suggest? I really don't want to mess with modifying anything or installing ballast's. My vehicle is a lease, so I just want to keep it simple, any suggestions? Thanks!

CosmicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2014 Honda Civic EX-L Navi
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did seriously think about LED's, I see that Phillips make a halogen replacement called Extreme Vision, is there a plug and play LED version I could use, or what do you suggest? I really don't want to mess with modifying anything or installing ballast's. My vehicle is a lease, so I just want to keep it simple, any suggestions? Thanks!
The Philips is Plug and Play.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I was actually thinking about getting the silverstar ultra to. I had them in my last two vehicles and really liked them. But wasn’t sure about putting them in my civic. Will the projection headlight be ok with the extra heat?

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i use phillips on my last vehicule...extremely satisfied

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've used maybe 3 sets of them over the years. If your only choice is halogens, they're damn good.

I had my last set finally go after about 3 years of use in the Odyssey, also a H11 size. I do minimal night driving so their life was on the longer side. I'd had a previous set only last about 1.5 years under much more night driving.

I'd tried a set of OP7 HIDs I was indifferent about in the Civic. Swapped that after a month or two to the order Cree Hikari LEDs. They looked beautiful on the car and had horrible throw to the point they weren't safe. I returned them immediately. I ordered the Philips version of the Hikaris and they had good throw and kept them.

Back to your Silverstars... in the Odyssey, I tried the new ~$40 Hikaris that use neither Philips or Cree bulbs. While they had a little less hotspot than the halogens, they have similar fill and throw and the light is a little brighter/whiter. In short, your bulbs are fine. I'd keep them as one the better halogens you can buy. When their done though, you might check out an LED offering. Their price point has encroached on the premium halogens and they offer a longer possible life to the point I don't think they're worth it anymore.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I’m switching to LED. Katanas are supposedly the same as supernova v4 which are $150 except katanas are $40-$50. LED are just too cheap to not try
Sponsored