Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
You're just going to have to wait until the New York International Auto Show for actual information. But we can expect the following improvements:

• Limited-slip differential
  • more power
  • Active Steering
  • Active Suspension
  • Short-shifting 6 speed manual
  • Available high-performance tires
Don't forget sportier exterior as well and upgraded interior with Si specific seats (most likely red stitching and better bolstering).

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Its a coin toss. I think they have set themselves up for failure with the late release, limited information/marketing. I have no idea what to expect in terms of spec's and pricing. <-- Those two will determine everything.

As someone said above the competition offers a lot, and they are constantly evolving. Later this year we will see a 240+ hp GTI, the next generation of the Focus ST etc..

Pricewise I have no clue what to expect. My DD is currently for sale and I am expecting to purchase within the next 3 months, but I really don't know if the Si is even going to be available by then.

I watched matt farahs review of the Sport Touring and he calls it like it is. Its nothing special. So I'm not sure I can buy that model.

Fg4Marko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP FK8, 2019 Touring PWP Coupe
Country flag
My last two cars were an 86 Si Hatch and a 2000 Si coupe, so I am aiming for 30 years straight of Si-ness. I can afford to wait as I typically average one car every 15 years.

PS - I am expecting this car to be a lot closer to $30k than $20k (in US $).
For sure it will be, even my car with all the goodies was close to that anyway, actually little over that in CAD so for sure it will be if you add the HFP goodies

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
To me, the biggest draw of the Si is that I can have all that sportiness without the extra features I could care less about in a car. Because of that limitation, the price is lower and I can also afford to buy the Si. If it had exactly the same things the other cars had, then there is no draw anymore, except maybe reliability. I personally don't want the Si to be like all others. But, that is also difficult to define so..... :dunno:

OP
OP
rezlab

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
I think the Si is going to have some, if not many luxury features. I expect to at least have some of that upgrades missing on the Hatch Sport - perks like Navigation, CarPlay, Million watt stereo system, etc.

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
I'd welcome the million watt stereo system! :D

AzulKari

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
At least for the past two generations, hasn't the Si has been given the EX level (sunroof, infotainment) features but with the Si treatment (like better sound system, seats, engine, LSD, etc.) I don't think this one will be really any different, the price difference is usually around 2.5-3k more than the EX trim so I'd probably expect it to be in the 24-25k MSRP area. If it goes any higher, then its asking to get beat down by cars like the GTI/Focus St/WRX which obviously offer a more powerful engine as well as more features in some cases. Especially in a world where the Si has chosen to go with a 1.5L, there isn't room for it to be touting big guns acting like it is one of them. Honda makes amazing engines that punch above what they're rated for, so this will be interesting to see what comes out of it. Sad that Honda can't give us info like Ford does, they actually get excited about their performance vehicles while it seems like an afterthought with Honda besides the Type R.

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
At least for the past two generations, hasn't the Si has been given the EX level (sunroof, infotainment) features but with the Si treatment (like better sound system, seats, engine, LSD, etc.) I don't think this one will be really any different, the price difference is usually around 2.5-3k more than the EX trim so I'd probably expect it to be in the 24-25k MSRP area. If it goes any higher, then its asking to get beat down by cars like the GTI/Focus St/WRX which obviously offer a more powerful engine as well as more features in some cases. Especially in a world where the Si has chosen to go with a 1.5L, there isn't room for it to be touting big guns acting like it is one of them. Honda makes amazing engines that punch above what they're rated for, so this will be interesting to see what comes out of it. Sad that Honda can't give us info like Ford does, they actually get excited about their performance vehicles while it seems like an afterthought with Honda besides the Type R.

I don't think they can skimp on the goods. This generation of buyer cares more about technology than performance. Unlike previous generations.

I want the full Honda sensing suite. Bare minimum. It wont be on the early 10th gens, then people will gripe and they will add that stuff in a model year or two ;)

Last edited:

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're going to wait and spend this much on a Civic, since the Sport Touring Hatchback is @ $32k CAN.

I personally would just wait and spend the money on the Type R. I'm going to guess Honda will increase the price $5k CAN so $37k Si & $42k Type R.

I can't imagine any dealer will give any discount on these two.

The only reason why I didn't was the condition of our trade-in, I didn't want to spend another nickel on it.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
If I were driving under 100K, I'd get the GTI hands down. VW has superior build quality. Interior and exterior panels are seamless. Ergonomics are excellent. Steering feedback and the 6MT are as good as Honda's. And the base trims are going for 23.5K here (25K for Sport trims). Partly due to the diesel fiasco and partly due to the upcoming 2018 MMR.

I don't like that I have to spend 31K in order to get adjustable damping in the Autobahn. The Si will give us a version of that in a 24-25K package. The sedan offers a little more interior room over the GTI. And Civic styling is more pronounced (for better or worse) over VW's conservative approach. Combined with long term reliability, those seem like the only real reasons to consider the Si over the GTI. Both will probably be great cars in their own right. The GTI early on, and the Si over time as the mileage accumulates.

My 2 cents...

Last edited:
OP
OP
rezlab

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
If I were driving under 100K, I'd get the GTI hands down. VW has superior build quality. Interior and exterior panels are seamless. Ergonomics are excellent. Steering feedback and the 6MT are as good as Honda's. And the base trims are going for 23.5K here (25K for Sport trims). Partly due to the diesel fiasco and partly due to the upcoming 2018 MMR.

I don't like that I have to spend 31K in order to get adjustable damping in the Autobahn. The Si will give us a version of that in a 24-25K package. The sedan offers a little more interior room over the GTI. And Civic styling is more pronounced (for better or worse) over VW's conservative approach. Combined with long term reliability, those seem like the only real reasons to consider the Si over the GTI. Both will probably be great cars in their own right. The GTI early on, and the Si over time as the mileage accumulates.

My 2 cents...
The GTI is a good package. I almost bought one in 2000, but purchased the Si instead. I think it was the wise choice as I still have the Si, but don't see hardly any 2000 GTIs still running around. VW had the performance edge. Honda the longevity. IMHO only.

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
Once you've had enough time with cars made by different manufacturers, it's easy to see why the Honda formula works. They over-engineer their cars to be extremely robust and reliable. From my experience, you just don't get as many issues with Honda vehicles. I'm specifically talking about the powertrain here.

Like previous generation Si models, I expect this Si is going to be a well balanced and fun to drive car that gets among the best in class fuel economy as well. Given how this new 1.5T motor performs, I'm sure it will be the most powerful Si ever offered too.

4doorj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
@exyia
Except the hatchback maxes out at the Sport trim if you want a manual... So, no HondaSensing (is available on the LX), heated seats, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto etc.

The EX-T sedan/coupe is the way to go if you want the toys and a manual, but I much prefer the hatchback styling.

Still, I'm holding out for the Si - see how it compares to the GTI. Hated the seats in the Focus ST, so that's a non-starter.
We are lucky here in canada.
Our LX hatchback comes with turbo/6 speed/touch screen/apple car play/ android audo
Our sport hatchback comes turbo/6speed/touch screen/apple car play/android auto/ smart key/ push button

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
Not that I'm in the market, but my wish list for an Si would include:

1. A sport button that works -- NORMAL = same hp/tq and mpg as "regular 1.5t", SPORT = 220+ hp/lots more useable tq, .. and who cares about the mpg
2. Better tires, .. much better tires
3. Better suspension and handling
4. Better clutch
Sponsored