Si Sighting & Dealer Lot Photo Thread

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
Omg I've been wanting to see the Si in grey... you are evil sir cause now I can't decide between this or white.
I was in the same boat. White is an excellent color for hiding scratches, dings and even dirt... my 99 Prelude got comments on how I babied it until I told people to walk up to it. On the Si, white makes it standout more... if I wasn't in my forties I'd likely want that... however, the grey looks classier so that's my choice. The days of racing to the next red light and wanting to turn heads are behind me... I just want something fun to drive in a color that looks good and won't be a pain to live with like black (even if it does look great on this car).
Sponsored

burntbisquit763

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Civic Si FG2 (daily) 1980 Toyota Corolla TE72 (project) 1989 Honda Accord (RIP) 1989 Toyota Supra 1jzgte swapped (sold) 1989 Ford Ranger (RIP)
Vehicle Showcase
I was in the same boat. White is an excellent color for hiding scratches, dings and even dirt... my 99 Prelude got comments on how I babied it until I told people to walk up to it. On the Si, white makes it standout more... if I wasn't in my forties I'd likely want that... however, the grey looks classier so that's my choice. The days of racing to the next red light and wanting to turn heads are behind me... I just want something fun to drive in a color that looks good and won't be a pain to live with like black (even if it does look great on this car).
The silver sounds about right for ya lol. But honestly, who cares about getting older! Just get the color that you want and enjoy it.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I think one of the main reasons the Si remained at 205hp is not because they couldn't squeeze out some more power - its the longevity issue.
Right; that was my point. Others are pushing it (too) far to beat competition by numbers, but Honda has a solid reliability record which I'm sure they realize is one of their biggest selling points and inalienable part of the brand's image, so I would think they care about that more than most other manufacturers.

the odds are stacked against this being a long term high mileage car. Just take a look and see how many turbo cars you can count in one day of driving that are over 10 years old?
Maybe that's because Honda hasn't been making them yet... :)
But yeah, of course nobody can cheat physics so it's a tough battle. Like you said time will tell.

If anyone could do it, it would be Honda
Exactly.

I remember when the CR-V first came out everyone was unsure how it would turn out because it was Honda's first AWD SUV ever. (Their Pilot at the time was basically a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo.) And look how that turned out. We still have the '99 model that's running great and is about to be passed down from my wife to my daughter as her first car...

Last edited:

mjdecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si Sedan, '23 Subaru BRZ Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Omg I've been wanting to see the Si in grey... you are evil sir cause now I can't decide between this or white.
Nice when did they get that in. Were you on a list for it or just walked in and bought it? And did you test drive it, what was your opinion of it ?
I tested out a black sport hatch (CVT :() back in March and while I liked it, it felt nearly identical to my '08 LX (5 speed) other than the new car feel (tighter steering, ect.). I knew coming in knowing what I wanted however on the hatch, the options didn't exist on the same model: Manual Transmission, upgraded stereo (for Android Auto), manual & cloth seats. The sales rep took down and said she'll get back to me once they had something in stock. As far as the color, I hadn't really decided however back in March I did see a few that were the Modern Steel that I liked a lot so that was definitely between that or black (though I had considered red).

Friday I was thinking about the Si and wondering when they were being released and found out it was earlier this month. I called up the dealership and sure enough they had only one delivered the same day and it was being washed to be placed in the showroom. I set it up so I can come check it out later that day but was told I can't do a test drive as they "wanted to keep the miles down." Pictures I posted were from the first visit and was able to get a good look everywhere and was able to sit in it. The car has all the features i was looking for and even had some I was indifferent on (Honda Lane assist, Sunroof). The next morning (Sat) the sales rep called and asked if i was still interested. Told them I'm not signing anything until I take it on the road to which they agreed.

Keep in mind majority of my comparison will be to an '08 LX coupe (5 speed). By far, the fastest car but that's not really saying a whole lot as probably the fastest is one of my friend's boosted 92 Integra (not really sure exact what he's done with his). Back to the '17 Si, the seats are amazing the way they hug you. I'm 5'8 230lbs and I was more than comfortable. The shift knob is tiny... really tiny, but the throws felt great. Clutch was closer in to the brake and I think it had a much shorter throw than my '08. I took it down a main drive then took a back road with sport mode enabled. Didn't notice a huge difference but I'll have to test it out a bit more once I get it.

Still trying to process everything that's happened in the past two days but I'll be sure to update once i get it on Wednesday evening.

To my knowledge, this is the only 10th gen Si in Broome County, NY (for not at least) so that's an odd feeling in itself.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I tested out a black sport hatch (CVT :() back in March and while I liked it, it felt nearly identical to my '08 LX (5 speed) other than the new car feel (tighter steering, ect.). I knew coming in knowing what I wanted however on the hatch, the options didn't exist on the same model: Manual Transmission, upgraded stereo (for Android Auto), manual & cloth seats. The sales rep took down and said she'll get back to me once they had something in stock. As far as the color, I hadn't really decided however back in March I did see a few that were the Modern Steel that I liked a lot so that was definitely between that or black (though I had considered red).

Friday I was thinking about the Si and wondering when they were being released and found out it was earlier this month. I called up the dealership and sure enough they had only one delivered the same day and it was being washed to be placed in the showroom. I set it up so I can come check it out later that day but was told I can't do a test drive as they "wanted to keep the miles down." Pictures I posted were from the first visit and was able to get a good look everywhere and was able to sit in it. The car has all the features i was looking for and even had some I was indifferent on (Honda Lane assist, Sunroof). The next morning (Sat) the sales rep called and asked if i was still interested. Told them I'm not signing anything until I take it on the road to which they agreed.

Keep in mind majority of my comparison will be to an '08 LX coupe (5 speed). By far, the fastest car but that's not really saying a whole lot as probably the fastest is one of my friend's boosted 92 Integra (not really sure exact what he's done with his). Back to the '17 Si, the seats are amazing the way they hug you. I'm 5'8 230lbs and I was more than comfortable. The shift knob is tiny... really tiny, but the throws felt great. Clutch was closer in to the brake and I think it had a much shorter throw than my '08. I took it down a main drive then took a back road with sport mode enabled. Didn't notice a huge difference but I'll have to test it out a bit more once I get it.

Still trying to process everything that's happened in the past two days but I'll be sure to update once i get it on Wednesday evening.

To my knowledge, this is the only 10th gen Si in Broome County, NY (for not at least) so that's an odd feeling in itself.
Thanks for the reply! Wonderful review, and I am even more sure that I will get the Si even with the not so great reviews. This car for sure will be the fastest car I've ever drove (I know, I know) and you have cemented that belief.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
high compression boosted engines never seem to last as long as NA engines.
If you look at any of the performance econo cars ie wrx, evo, sti - none are particularly renown for being high mileage stars.
On the other hand, look at all the 10+ year-old Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge turbocharged diesel pickups with 200-300K miles and "18-wheelers" with 500K to a million miles on them with no major problems.

It's no surprise that the vehicles you listed aren't "high mileage stars". The life of any engine - turbocharged or not - will be decreased when you floor it every time you take off, bounce off the rev limiter, or force it to make more power than it was designed to produce with a tune, bolt-ons, etc.

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT

I keep going back and forth on trading in my hatch sport (6MT) for an SI Sedan. I hate the idea of taking a bath on the trade in but if I wait 6-8 months and can get them down $2k on the SI it won't be too bad since I paid MSRP for the Hatch. I'm pretty disappointed with the interior on the Hatch Sport, my '07 EX had a nicer interior.

I love the outside, fit/finish and engine on my hatchback sport but the interior just feels like an early Hyundai...

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So it's essentially is the same motor with just more boost? That is crap!
The 9th generation 2012-2015 Civic Si used a version of the K24Z engine that was used in the Accord and CR-V.

So, you could say the last Civic Si also used "essentially the same engine" as the Accord and CR-V.

You might also say the Civic has returned to its roots since the Si started its early years with a higher-output version of essentially the same engine that went into the non-Si Civic.

It all depends on how you want to spin it. Imagine how Mustang GT buyers must have felt to get essentially the same 4.6L V8 engine that went into countless Crown Victoria taxis, fleet cars, and senior citizen-mobiles.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I keep going back and forth on trading in my hatch sport (6MT) for an SI Sedan. I hate the idea of taking a bath on the trade in but if I wait 6-8 months and can get them down $2k on the SI it won't be too bad since I paid MSRP for the Hatch. I'm pretty disappointed with the interior on the Hatch Sport, my '07 EX had a nicer interior.

I love the outside, fit/finish and engine on my hatchback sport but the interior just feels like an early Hyundai...
If I were you, I'd keep the Sport. You might get $15K for it on trade and end up paying $10K+ difference just to move from the Sport to an Si. There's really no way to justify that transaction either now or 6-8 months from now.

Now, if you were choosing between the Sport and Si as a new purchase, it becomes much easier to justify the extra $2,600 for the Si over the Sport unless you absolutely need the cargo capacity of a hatchback design in which case you shouldn't even be considering buying an Si to begin with.

I can understand the desire for an Si, but it doesn't even begin to make financial sense if you already have a Sport.

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I were you, I'd keep the Sport. You might get $15K for it on trade and end up paying $10K+ difference just to move from the Sport to an Si. There's really no way to justify that transaction either now or 6-8 months from now.

Now, if you were choosing between the Sport and Si as a new purchase, it becomes much easier to justify the extra $2,600 for the Si over the Sport unless you absolutely need the cargo capacity of a hatchback design in which case you shouldn't even be considering buying an Si to begin with.

I can understand the desire for an Si, but it doesn't even begin to make financial sense if you already have a Sport.
I don't think the price differential would be that substantial. For one SI's will be much more prevalent than 6MT Sports. I'd probably see if I could get $18k for the Sport (maybe go private party for $19k-$20k) and get the SI for $23k If I could do it for $3k or so delta I might pull the trigger.

Either that or I might work on doing an aftermarket stereo in the Sport and a tune. I wish Honda had been more on the ball with the SI, I'd have probably waited until summer for a car had I known the specs on the SI 3 months ago.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't think the price differential would be that substantial. For one SI's will be much more prevalent than 6MT Sports. I'd probably see if I could get $18k for the Sport (maybe go private party for $19k-$20k) and get the SI for $23k If I could do it for $3k or so delta I might pull the trigger.

Either that or I might work on doing an aftermarket stereo in the Sport and a tune. I wish Honda had been more on the ball with the SI, I'd have probably waited until summer for a car had I known the specs on the SI 3 months ago.
KBB trade-in is $15K for a Sport. Private-party is $16.5K. You'll never get $18K - even going private party. The dealer's cost for a brand new one is less than $20K.

A $3K delta is way below reality. Plus, you'll have taxes, title, and license on top of all that.

I hate to burst your bubble and I don't expect you to believe me, but I've been doing this a long time. I hate seeing people get excited only to be let down at the dealer or make foolish decisions. :)

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KBB trade-in is $15K for a Sport. Private-party is $16.5K. You'll never get $18K - even going private party. The dealer's cost for a brand new one is less than $20K.

A $3K delta is way below reality. Plus, you'll have taxes, title, and license on top of all that.

I hate to burst your bubble and I don't expect you to believe me, but I've been doing this a long time. I hate seeing people get excited only to be let down at the dealer or make foolish decisions. :)
Can you link to the KBB? I wasn't able to find a sport on their only an LX.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can you link to the KBB? I wasn't able to find a sport on their only an LX.
Good catch. I didn't pay attention to which trim appeared since it didn't ask (because they only have data for an LX sedan right now). The difference in MSRP between the LX sedan and Sport is $2,560. You can't add that full amount to the used value of the LX to determine the Sport's value, but you might be able to get $17 on trade and $18.5 private party at most.

You'll never be able to buy a new Si for less than $22,600+TT&L because that's close to the dealer's actual cost.

If you somehow managed to get $17K for your sport and buy the Si at cost (which almost certainly won't happen), the difference would be $5,600 + TT&L.

Since Si aren't going for less than MSRP right now, you'd be looking at a difference of $7,775 + TT&L today.

8 months from now, you might get an Si for 23,500, but the value of your Sport will have decreased as well. I just don't see how you could possibly trade for less than $8K to $10K right now or 8 months from now.
Sponsored