Si Sighting & Dealer Lot Photo Thread

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
So this must mean that there is no internal difference to this motor and the other civic turbo correct?
Ok so this is a refresh for the civic, crv and si?
There are two different versions of the L15B7 engine with a total of six different tunes.

The Si engine is essentially the CR-V engine tuned for premium fuel and a higher boost pressure.

The Si and CR-V 1.5L turbo have a 10.3:1 compression ratio and a 9-vane turbo
  • The Si is tuned for premium fuel with 20.3 PSI of boost good for 205 HP and 192 lb-ft of torque
  • The CR-V is tuned for regular fuel with 18.5 PSI of boost good for 190 HP and 179 lb-ft of torque

The non-Si Civic 1.5L turbo has a 10.6:1 compression ratio and an 11-vane turbo
  • The Sport hatchback 6MT is tuned for premium fuel with 16.5 PSI of boost good for 180 HP and 177 lb-ft of torque
  • The Sport and Sport Touring hatchback CVT are tuned for premium fuel with 16.5 PSI of boost good for 180 HP and 162 lb-ft of torque
  • Other 6MT are tuned for regular fuel with 16.5 PSI of boost good for 174 HP and 167 lb-ft of torque
  • Other CVT are tuned for regular fuel with 16.5 PSI of boost good for 174 HP and 162 lb-ft of torque

GM have a 1.5L turbo engine that produces 170 HP and 203 lb-ft of torque on regular fuel in the 2017 Equinox.
Ford have a 1.5L turbo engine that produces 181 HP and 185 lb-ft of torque on regular fuel in the 2017 Fusion.

On paper, this engine isn't all that impressive compared to the competition. However, Hondata have shown at least some of these engines are underrated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Also this engine will probably (hopefully) become increasingly more impressive after a 100k miles on it, when compared to those GM and Ford ones. ;)

SpartanSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
Country flag
And the 2018`s come out in two months ?
Pointed this out a while ago.....not sure why they don't just call it a 2018.....who wants a 2017 that takes a 1 year depreciation hit when the 2018 hits the showrooms?

SpartanSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
Country flag
Also this engine will probably (hopefully) become increasingly more impressive after a 100k miles on it, when compared to those GM and Ford ones. ;)
We will just have to wait and see about this......high compression boosted engines never seem to last as long as NA engines. There are some interesting design additions that Honda implemented in this engine to facilitate better cooling. Increasing compression though almost always leads to cooling issues or oil useage issues. Seals and engine designs have improved but, you never know what you will get with age and miles added into the mix. If anyone could do it, it would be Honda but, I have to believe that the odds are stacked against this being a long term high mileage car. Just take a look and see how many turbo cars you can count in one day of driving that are over 10 years old? Then do the same the next day and count the number of Normally Aspired cars that are 10 years or older and still on the road.....? I believe this will tell you a lot about the lifespan of a turbo engine.

Redglare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 si, 11' z34.
We will just have to wait and see about this......high compression boosted engines never seem to last as long as NA engines. There are some interesting design additions that Honda implemented in this engine to facilitate better cooling. Increasing compression though almost always leads to cooling issues or oil useage issues. Seals and engine designs have improved but, you never know what you will get with age and miles added into the mix. If anyone could do it, it would be Honda but, I have to believe that the odds are stacked against this being a long term high mileage car. Just take a look and see how many turbo cars you can count in one day of driving that are over 10 years old? Then do the same the next day and count the number of Normally Aspired cars that are 10 years or older and still on the road.....? I believe this will tell you a lot about the lifespan of a turbo engine.
that is the unfortunate reality, no matter how you spin it the physics remain constant, Pv= nRT, you increase the pressure, decrease the volume, increasing temperature - producing 205hp out of a 1.5L (more importantly 192 torque) there will be more stress on all components including the gaskets and seals. If you look at any of the performance econo cars ie wrx, evo, sti - none are particularly renown for being high mileage stars. Bmw 335i's are also notorious for needing turbo rebuilds as early as 50-80k miles.
An even better example is the eco-boost engines in the police fleets, there have been nationwide complaints by the PD's - of the longevity of turbo engines compared to the N/A v8 they were used to in the crown vics.
I think one of the main reasons the Si remained at 205hp is not because they couldn't squeeze out some more power - its the longevity issue.

The idea is that you are using less fuel in a turbo car, but all that goes out of the window when you start pushing the engine.

Joker33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Wrangler, '03 Civic, '06 Mustang, '15 F150
There are two different versions of the L15B7 engine with a total of six different tunes.

The Si engine is essentially the CR-V engine tuned for premium fuel and a higher boost pressure.

The Si and CR-V 1.5L turbo have a 10.3:1 compression ratio and a 9-vane turbo
  • The Si is tuned for premium fuel with 20.3 PSI of boost good for 205 HP and 192 lb-ft of torque
  • The CR-V is tuned for regular fuel with 18.5 PSI of boost good for 190 HP and 179 lb-ft of torque

The non-Si Civic 1.5L turbo has a 10.6:1 compression ratio and an 11-vane turbo
  • The Sport hatchback 6MT is tuned for premium fuel with 16.5 PSI of boost good for 180 HP and 177 lb-ft of torque
  • The Sport and Sport Touring hatchback CVT are tuned for premium fuel with 16.5 PSI of boost good for 180 HP and 162 lb-ft of torque
  • Other 6MT are tuned for regular fuel with 16.5 PSI of boost good for 174 HP and 167 lb-ft of torque
  • Other CVT are tuned for regular fuel with 16.5 PSI of boost good for 174 HP and 162 lb-ft of torque

GM have a 1.5L turbo engine that produces 170 HP and 203 lb-ft of torque on regular fuel in the 2017 Equinox.
Ford have a 1.5L turbo engine that produces 181 HP and 185 lb-ft of torque on regular fuel in the 2017 Fusion.

On paper, this engine is unimpressive compared to the competition. However, Honda have a history of underrating their engines as shown by Hondata.
So it's essentially is the same motor with just more boost? That is crap!

dawsonj87

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe, 2001 Honda CB250
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Heres a good video to watch if you got time, it explains everything
Not sure if anybody really knows anything about this, but I remember seeing an interview from the NYIAS that said we would get the HFP wheels from the prototype along with springs as an HFP package, and now that it isn't listed on Honda's website I can only assume either we won't get that with this Si or it will be available with a later model year. Any thoughts?

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Not sure if anybody really knows anything about this, but I remember seeing an interview from the NYIAS that said we would get the HFP wheels from the prototype along with springs as an HFP package, and now that it isn't listed on Honda's website I can only assume either we won't get that with this Si or it will be available with a later model year. Any thoughts?
I think you are getting mixed with HPT and HFP (I was mixing this up too), apparently they will release another package with the Si that upgrades the suspensions on top of the wheels = HFP. Correct me if I am wrong though.

burntbisquit763

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Civic Si FG2 (daily) 1980 Toyota Corolla TE72 (project) 1989 Honda Accord (RIP) 1989 Toyota Supra 1jzgte swapped (sold) 1989 Ford Ranger (RIP)
Vehicle Showcase

dawsonj87

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think you are getting mixed with HPT and HFP (I was mixing this up too), apparently they will release another package with the Si that upgrades the suspensions on top of the wheels = HFP. Correct me if I am wrong though.
That seems correct. I hadn't heard anything about HPT, so when I saw those hatch accessory alloys listed, I thought Honda shafted us on the HFP package. After weighing my options, I am pretty sold on a better looking wheel that's Si exclusive and springs (which I assume will lower the car ~0.5"). That would honestly help me make my decision on color as well :D

dawsonj87

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice when did they get that in. Were you on a list for it or just walked in and bought it? And did you test drive it, what was your opinion of it ?
Be careful, there's an embargo of that information until the 6th ;)

Joker33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Wrangler, '03 Civic, '06 Mustang, '15 F150
They need to hurry and release the package. It is all a marketing thing they will release that stuff I'm sure after the initial binge of buyers on the si so that they make more profit because most of us would have just ordered it with those wheels and suspension from the factory but now we have to pay for 2 sets of suspension and wheels. Which is frustrating! :banghead:
Sponsored