Si Colors & Full Sales Guide!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
On that note, a stupid question: who does the very first fill, Honda or dealer?
I believe the factory adds a few gallons for the initial test drive and transport. And I think the dealer tops it off before the sale (or they should).
Correct. The vehicles are shipped from the factory with a minimum amount of fuel. The price of every new Honda includes a full tank of fuel (this is listed on the Monroney label). It is the dealer's responsibility to deliver the vehicle with a full tank of fuel to the buyer. The brand and grade of fuel you receive will vary from dealer to dealer. Usually, the brand will be whatever is closest to the dealer. The grade will most likely be regular - even in models where premium is recommended - unless you're lucky enough to have a porter that cares or knows the difference. The only way to make sure is to watch them fill it up.
Sponsored

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was hoping for a hot orange or blue version of Energy Green pearl.

I was bummed about that too! I was hoping for the 8th gen orange to come back. Love that color.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Correct. The vehicles are shipped from the factory with a minimum amount of fuel. The price of every new Honda includes a full tank of fuel (this is listed on the Monroney label). It is the dealer's responsibility to deliver the vehicle with a full tank of fuel to the buyer. The brand and grade of fuel you receive will vary from dealer to dealer. Usually, the brand will be whatever is closest to the dealer. The grade will most likely be regular - even in models where premium is recommended - unless you're lucky enough to have a porter that cares or knows the difference. The only way to make sure is to watch them fill it up.
Wow so it is at least theoretically possible that Honda would put in 93 but dealer 87, or vice versa?? Or is the amount from Honda is so tiny that the potential difference in fuel types would be negligible?

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Wow so it is at least theoretically possible that Honda would put in 93 but dealer 87, or vice versa?? Or is the amount from Honda is so tiny that the potential difference in fuel types would be negligible?
I think my dealer put 87 in my Sport hatch, cause it seemed unchanged at my first fillup with 87, but when I switched to 93 on 2nd fillup, it came alive.

In an Si they might be more aware of the need for 91 though.

joe007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra
Country flag
Do you need to do an ECU reset after running through the tank of 87 octane? I would do it just for paranoia, right after my first self fill-up.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Any reason to get a Si over a EXT running +6 PSI flashpro tune? I can't imagine paying 5k more over what I paid for my EXT sedan CVT with honda sensing (20800 including dest charge) for a bit more power that can be had for 659USD...

Last edited:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The factory will almost certainly fill the vehicle with the recommended grade of fuel as there are procedures and checks in place to ensure that happens. There's no telling what the dealer will put in it, but chances are it will be the cheapest/closest instead of what is recommended/required unless you remind or educate them before they fill it up or you're present when they fill it up. Most dealers don't have gas pumps, but often have an account with a nearby gas station.

Do you need to do an ECU reset after running through the tank of 87 octane? I would do it just for paranoia, right after my first self fill-up.
No. The ECM is constantly making adjustments to the engine timing hundreds of times per second based on preprogrammed maps and data from the knock sensor. The ECM will adjust timing when detonation occurs long before human ears can detect it. If you hear detonation, then that usually means it is so severe that the maximum amount of timing adjustment has already occurred and engine damage is possible from that point forward. The ECM has no clue what type of fuel is in the vehicle. There are no "fuel type detectors" that analyze the fuel.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any reason to get a Si over a EXT running +6 PSI flashpro tune?
You bet. Several...

1. Warranty. Damage resulting from the use of a tune is not covered under Honda's warranty.
2. Longevity. Nobody has put 100,000 miles on a tuned EX-T yet to see what long-term effects +6 PSI of boost will have.
3. LSD. Will pull out of a tight corner much better.
4. Transmission. More robust components in the Si's 6MT according to Honda.
5. Handling. Thicker rolls bars, wider tires, stiffer springs.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
You bet. Several...

1. Warranty. Damage resulting from the use of a tune is not covered under Honda's warranty.
2. Longevity. Nobody has put 100,000 miles on a tuned EX-T yet to see what long-term effects +6 PSI of boost will have.
3. LSD. Will pull out of a tight corner much better.
4. Transmission. More robust components in the Si's 6MT according to Honda.
5. Handling. Thicker rolls bars, wider tires, stiffer springs.
1. Simply remove the tune. coming from 335i scene where tunes are common this was a non issue. Shady but it works.
2. It's not rocket science. All the tune does is tune the car for higher octane. Which is no different than the Si 1.5l Lump. How much boost will the Si run?
3. When you can buy a GTI with all the track goodies for a grand more (as there will be no incentives when these first come out) If track and autox use is a consideration a GTI is the better buy.
4. Personally I'm not looking at economy cars with manuals. Rather buy a S2000 (I've owned one)
5. See 3. and 4. plus day to day use these mean very little

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
Old Chevy dealer lot porter here. This is very true. Not sure how Honda would do it, but we would inspect the vehicles (PDI) and fill it with 3 gallons of (whatever's cheapest) gas. This was presumably for test drives, etc. In theory, you could probably request that they fill it with premium when you buy the car. Worth a shot.

When I test drove a sport hatch, the car had no gas at all. Zero miles to go (maybe needed calibration?) and gas light on with nothing on the gauge. It was a short and lousy test drive to say the least. Your mileage may vary with each dealer.

On a side note, I REALLY hope my dealer follows through with my request of not installing the front plate bracket. My state requires a front plate. So stupid... I'd rather get the ticket.

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2003 Civic LX
Country flag
Any reason to get a Si over a EXT running +6 PSI flashpro tune? I can't imagine paying 5k more over what I paid for my EXT sedan CVT with honda sensing (20800 including dest charge) for a bit more power that can be had for 659USD...
Yeah if you want to turn, or stop...

You're also assuming the Si will be $25,800? I think you're over shooting the sticker price...Honda is using the fact that the car will be "much more affordable" than a base WRX...which is $26 something or other...

I don't think $1k on an MSRP is going to qualify as "much more affordable." I could be wrong, but I think this is going to sticker closer to $24k than $25k...

Regardless...the wheels/tires, suspension/chassis parts, exclusive transmission/ratios, upgraded turbo, and any other intake/exhaust tweaks we don't have details about yet, easily make up any price difference between an EX-T and Si in my eyes...

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Yeah if you want to turn, or stop...

You're also assuming the Si will be $25,800? I think you're over shooting the sticker price...Honda is using the fact that the car will be "much more affordable" than a base WRX...which is $26 something or other...
Yes, I guess too soon to tell but if that's the case and it is spec'd out as we are thinking and at that price maybe. But still GTI for a grand more... Sticker on mine was 24,300. If it's 25300 + destination charge could be a good deal. But like I said no incentives and a full 5800 more than what I paid for mine including the dest charge. Plus when the Si come out a similarly spec'd EXT could be boughgt for 20000 even or very high 19000 with dest charge. At that point you're spending 6k more...

The EXT does a good job at turning I've actually got it to engage the inside turn to make it turn tighter. Impressive. With better rubber and better pads. I'm happy

Plus still an under performer compared to a GTI Sport or SE. for a grand more or same if you work out a good deal with the dealer as VW is hurting right now.

In my case I would have bought a GTI were it not for my honda sensing requirement. I would need to walk into a top spec GTI autobanh to even get the radar cruise control without lane keep assist. and pay 7-8k more for similarly equiped car. Obviously much more powerful GTI with LSD which wasn't important for my needs as a commuter.

Last edited:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Two things that would keep me away from a VW and reasons why they are hurting right now:

1. Ongoing diesel emissions scandal. Although this may not affect their gasoline engines, it makes a company and its products look bad when they are caught cheating and lying to the authorities and their customers. That's like finding out your buddy slept with your wife then taking him out for a beer after work instead of punching him in the nose. :)
2. Dependability. History has proven that a Honda will require fewer repairs than a VW.

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2003 Civic LX
Country flag
Yes, I guess too soon to tell but if that's the case and it is spec'd out as we are thinking and at that price maybe. But still GTI for a grand more... Sticker on mine was 24,300. If it's 25300 + destination charge could be a good deal. But like I said no incentives and a full 5800 more than what I paid for mine including the dest charge. Plus when the Si come out a similarly spec'd EXT could be boughgt for 20000 even or very high 19000 with dest charge. At that point you're spending 6k more...

Plus still an under performer compared to a GTI Sport or SE. for a grand more or same if you work out a good deal with the dealer as VW is hurting right now.

In my case I would have bought a GTI were it not for my honda sensing requirement. I would need to walk into a top spec GTI autobanh to even get the radar cruise control without lane keep assist. and pay 7-8k more for similarly equiped car. Obviously much more powerful GTI with LSD which wasn't important for my needs as a commuter.
Frankly, I think it's pretty misleading to bother talking about prices when dealing with incentives or "what I paid" prices...

Different areas of the country, different dealers, different salespeople, different whatever, bring way too many variables to the table to make fair comparisons...

With that said, you're not getting a similarly spec'ed GTI (outside of purely looking at power numbers) for $1k more...the Si is likely to come in at a cheaper MSRP than the GTI S...and it's more than $2k to step up from the S to the Sport...then once you've decided to get an SE you're over $30k...

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Two things that would keep me away from a VW and reasons why they are hurting right now:
I don't care much for lying to the public when we benefit from cheap pricing across the board. lol
Their cars do require alot more TLC especially after the warranty is up. This was also one of the considerations on buying a Honda since I will be keeping it for the long haul and didn't want to hassle with the extra attention a GTI out of warranty requires. But for most people who only keep a car for 2-3 years max. GTI is a more exhilarating ride even compared to a Type R with a stage 2 APR tune. If your planning on keeping for 2-3 years the GTI is the better buy again.

Frankly, I think it's pretty misleading to bother talking about prices when dealing with incentives or "what I paid" prices...
With that said, you're not getting a similarly spec'ed GTI (outside of purely looking at power numbers) for $1k more...the Si is likely to come in at a cheaper MSRP than the GTI S...and it's more than $2k to step up from the S to the Sport...then once you've decided to get an SE you're over $30k...
I get your point. But it's reality. I'm sure nationwide right now you can have killer deals on EXT cars not shy of what I paid or for less.

The MSRP on a GTI Sport comes in at what you mentioned at 30k but because of zrogers number 1. bullet point are heavily marked down to 22k. Could argue it could be had for 21500 including dest charge. Add 1500-2000 more for a SE. Right around the Si's estimated MSRP. If you look at actual live prices on sites. It really is 1k more for a GTI for a smilar spec'd honda. however, Add in honda sensing and it's 5k more looking at listed pricing lol.

https://www.lindsayvolkswagen.com/i...-gti-sport-fwd-4d-hatchback-3vw547au8hm044516

The Si is a hard sale for me. So is the Type-R when a Golf R can be had for little more.
Sponsored

Last edited: