dpaglianite

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Had a guy fly in from NY to drive back from Arkansas, he was thrilled and I was thrilled for him. The car was not going to work as a daily for me, but the Civic impressed me so much I tore up the deal I had waiting on me for an 18 WRX STI and bought a brand new silver SI today. The SI is no R, but it's still really great.

Honda World in Conway AR was amazing to work with on both these cars.

PS... yea I got all my money back on it too

Now do I dare Hondata flash this puppy, damn warranty lol!
Sponsored

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
You will regret it...

Happened to me everytime I see an STi I think of my 2015 WRX STi launch edition...

Why did I sell that car

OP
OP
dpaglianite

dpaglianite

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Did you make a some bit of profit?
I guess driving a Type R for 400 miles and being able to get my money back out if it was pretty good, but no, not a penny. I would say the stress I went through was at great cost. I literally feel relief getting it to another who really wanted it and then getting an SI for below sticker. Some of the roads in my daily drive had me sick with concern, I don't have that fear with the 18's on the SI at all.

Liebestraume

First Name
Azo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CBP CTR, 2015 Porsche GR GT3, 2017 Camaro 1SS, 2017 VW GTI
Congrats on your new SI!
I was thinking about a new 18 STI as a daily, haven't owned one since 2015 (15 Limited).

Not sure if I really wanted the same engine with such minor changes (E-Diff, Green Painted Brakes, Slightly Larger Touchscreen, Same-ish seats with Recaro badging).

I'm just glad you're happy where you are now~

OP
OP
dpaglianite

dpaglianite

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Congrats on your new SI!
I was thinking about a new 18 STI as a daily, haven't owned one since 2015 (15 Limited).

Not sure if I really wanted the same engine with such minor changes (E-Diff, Green Painted Brakes, Slightly Larger Touchscreen, Same-ish seats with Recaro badging).

I'm just glad you're happy where you are now~
I drove the new STI, it is a lot better than the 17 version, the turbo delay is gone and it just feels better handling wise. They are just not moving off sticker at all for the Recaro version, I can wait.

BlackStud525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-L 9th gen
Country flag
I guess you really meant it when you wanted a decent ride/ commuter since you downgraded to an SI. Congrats on the process of selling the car, pretty sure it must have been stressful.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
Congrats! Now lets see pics of the SI. Oh, and it may be time to change the avatar pic ;)

caliboy15

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many to list.... jk
Country flag
so the guy who bought your CTR got it for how much? then he needs to pay taxes and fees. isn't that a worse deal instead of just buying new

OP
OP
dpaglianite

dpaglianite

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
did you originally get it at msrp or adm?

No I paid 38 for it, and the new buyer paid 37,300 as I had to eat 700 for it being used to certify it Honda for them to resell back to him. However, I came out ahead because they sold me the SI for 2,000 under sticker and a warranty for 1.00 over cost.

Honda World In Conway AR is the bomb!

As for taxes, my Type R taxes in AR transfer to the Si since its under 45 days and I get refunded the diff, the new buyer pays his own taxes back in NY.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dpaglianite

dpaglianite

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
so the guy who bought your CTR got it for how much? then he needs to pay taxes and fees. isn't that a worse deal instead of just buying new
imho no because as I have stated in the past, getting one of these right now at msrp is really rare, getting one at all is super hard. The new buyer was happy to pay what I asked.

If they make a few changes in the years to come I will buy one,

1.Drop the tires to 19's.
2. Offer a slightly larger version of the bolster seat.
3. Add a spare tire to the 19's package.

Then you have a version that could be a primary car used as a daily driver.

Call one option Race track edition, just as it is now and the 19's street car edition.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Had a guy fly in from NY to drive back from Arkansas, he was thrilled and I was thrilled for him. The car was not going to work as a daily for me, but the Civic impressed me so much I tore up the deal I had waiting on me for an 18 WRX STI and bought a brand new silver SI today. The SI is no R, but it's still really great.

Honda World in Conway AR was amazing to work with on both these cars.

PS... yea I got all my money back on it too

Now do I dare Hondata flash this puppy, damn warranty lol!
I will be one of the few to say you chose right.

I have a 270 WHP lightly modded hatch. I've tooled it around the last 9 yrs/189K. It's quick and fun. But the novelty wears off after 6 months. I've driven it back-to-back with the Si. Yeah, it's comparatively slow. But it's surprisingly tossable in the corners, with just enough grunt for the daily grind. Aside from the dampers, all the wear items are dirt cheap (1/3 - 1/2 the cost of the GTI on average).

That's not a dig against the R. I think it's a solid package for 34K. But factor out ADM and wear items, the Si has a lot to offer at its price point.

During my last visit at Hondata, I had some seat time in their EX-T with a +6 map. IMHO, the revised TQ alone is well worth the cost. Stick with the +3 base map and keep it off Sport for most of your drive, and you'll be good for many miles to come. Enjoy. :cool:
Sponsored