Seat comfort for long trips?

unprocessed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
I recently owned a current gen Accord, and one of the deal breakers was how rigid and uncomfortable the seats were for long road trips, which always caused back aches. The front passenger's seat was far worse too.

For owners of the new Civic, how are the seats in comparison, and how have they been for long road trips?
Sponsored

velredrx8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring, 2004 rx8, 2012 honda civic, 2005 toyota tacoma
Country flag
For a 2.5 hour road trip it has been fine for me. I usually have back pain with seats that are not confortable.

Ajax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Rallye Red
I work out of town and regularly drive 6+ hours to go home on the weekends. My old 2007 Honda Civic with those hard seats had my back in pain for a couple days after driving 4 hours. I bought a Touring edition a couple weeks ago and have racked up 2,500 miles. No more lower back pain, I love the seats! The heated seat back rests and cushions are great for soothing my back too. They are more comfortable than even my wife's 2012 Volvo S60. The only knock I have against the seats is there is no lumbar support (but I haven't needed it). It kinda of makes you scratch your head on why made the interior so nice and left a simple option out, but I guess it gives someone a reason to buy an Accord.

cjk86524

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC TOURING
Just took a 5 hours long trip yesterday with it. Can't believe it felt better than my X5 after the trip. Normally I'll get a should pain after such a long drive with my x5, but with this civic I didn't feel a thing except my eyes were tired. Hope this helps

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean blue EX hatch has joined my 2016 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
Just drove 400 miles after my morning CrossFit wod which included 50 front squats on the lift portion and 5 rounds of 7 hang power clean squats at 115# ( I am old) and 14 44# kettlebell swings. And I was comfortable the entire ride. Almost fell asleep because I was so tired. And old.
Seats are ok for me.

2006civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 civic coupe
Country flag
I work out of town and regularly drive 6+ hours to go home on the weekends. My old 2007 Honda Civic with those hard seats had my back in pain for a couple days after driving 4 hours. I bought a Touring edition a couple weeks ago and have racked up 2,500 miles. No more lower back pain, I love the seats! The heated seat back rests and cushions are great for soothing my back too. They are more comfortable than even my wife's 2012 Volvo S60. The only knock I have against the seats is there is no lumbar support (but I haven't needed it). It kinda of makes you scratch your head on why made the interior so nice and left a simple option out, but I guess it gives someone a reason to buy an Accord.
Just curious, I have an 06 civic. Does that have "lumbar support"? I don't know how to tell. Those seats are fine for me, I am hoping the new seats are similar.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
Just curious, I have an 06 civic. Does that have "lumbar support"? I don't know how to tell. Those seats are fine for me, I am hoping the new seats are similar.
I went from an '06 Civic EX to the 2016 Touring and find the new seats a little better due to the seatpan tilting feature (Touring only I think). I like to adjust often due to lower back issues and wish the new seat had adjustable lumbar. I originally thought there was less lumbar support in the new seat but now I find it very comfortable. I'll have to jump back in the '06 to compare one of these days.

Pretty happy with it so far with one 400 mile trip one way and about 3000 miles on the car now.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I have a very very bad back, and I'm surprised and pleased to say that the seats in my touring are WAY more comfortable than the seats that were in my Crosstour!
And the 3 level heated seat function is great, the Crosstour only had low or high.

atsirab42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Do all the trims have the same seats as far as shape and padding? I realize higher trims have heating and power adjustment, but for long trip comfort, should they be about the same?

Unrelated question: If I put in the VIN of a car I'm interested in, even if the recall work has already been done (piston ring snap), it would show up as affected, right?

Last edited:

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just finished a nearly 400-mile roundtrip as driver and passenger in my EX-T sedan and the seats were very comfortable and supportive. Coupled with a fairly quiet interior it made the trip quite enjoyable. Didn't feel like a lack of lumbar adjustment was an issue either. Felt just fine.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For me this is the most comfortable Honda I've had. The seats in others I owned were very firm and after an hour of driving I'd have to pull over and get out and stretch, my butt would start to get numb. I drive an hour each way to work daily and arrive feeling great.
My daughter just got a CRV and said my seats are way more comfortable than hers.
Even without a lumbar adjustment these seats are so comfy for me. I'm 5'1".

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do all the trims have the same seats as far as shape and padding? I realize higher trims have heating and power adjustment, but for long trip comfort, should they be about the same?

Unrelated question: If I put in the VIN of a car I'm interested in, even if the recall work has already been done (piston ring snap), it would show up as affected, right?
To my knowledge yes all the seats would be the same except for cloth vs leather, and higher trims have more adjustments.
And yes all recalls would show even if they have been done, I think if it's been done it would say it. Any that has not had that snap ring done aren't even supposed to be sold. Honda ordered a stop sale on all 2.0 engines until they were all repaired. Obviously any cars made after the effected date, we're done correctly.
The best way to tell about the seats, drive an LX for a test drive and drive 's Touring for a test drive, see if they feel the same to you.
The higher trims having more adjustment capabilities may make them feel more comfortable. I have a Touring and the seats are the most comfortable of any Honda I've ever owned.
Test drives are free, test them all then decide which one you like the best. :)

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As someone who often has a lot of lower back pain (due to my job) I have no complaints about the seats. I did a 3 hour drive a few weeks back without any discomfort.

civicT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I know what you mean, I had the 2005 and 2011 Accord, I really hated the 2011 driver seat, caused uncomfort to both back and legs. I have the Touring now, luv the seat. I have done a four + hour trip no problem.

Frost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic LX 2016
No it will not.

If no work has been done and you enter the VIN it will show subject to recall.

Once the work has been performed then it is no longer subject to recall.
Entering the VIN then will show no recalls for that VIN.

So the car could have been taken apart ,inspected, put back together and
a VIN search would show no recalls for that particular VIN.
Sponsored