S2000 vs Civic Type R on track

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I would love to see the CTR cockpit video of the same race.
I've love to hear video from the CTR cockpit too. That S2000 sounded awesome with that intake
Sponsored

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The S2K is a great car, no doubt, but honestly that guy was having trouble just keeping up (and he is a good driver). It got unsettled under hard braking & he was battling that thing in the turns. Better rear tires would have helped I'm sure, but the S2K had a few mods as well. We have no idea how good the driver was in the CTR, but goes to show how good this thing is in stock form. The CTR did look crazy composed. I've noticed that about the FK8; the chassis, suspension & brakes are so good, that it really doesn't "feel" that fast to me. It is so well balanced right out of the box & totally composed up to the limits. Bravo to the Honda engineers on this thing. Certainly not as raw as the S2K, which I'm sure some of you prefer.

It didn't look to me like that S2K was "fun" to drive in that video. Made me anxious just watching him manage the rear end in those turns.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Mismatched tires certainly didn't help but there is no doubt that the CTR was fast.

By the way, the track is Gingerman, my home track.

OP
OP

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
I hope the Type R is faster, it has almost 100whp more and torque than a s2k. Also S2k is a chassis engineering from the late 90's.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I hope the Type R is faster, it has almost 100whp more and torque than a s2k. Also S2k is a chassis engineering from the late 90's.
The s2k has the double wishbone suspension and fully adjustable. Less compromised. Hence the higher price tag.

CTR is a souped up econo box on a global platform.

OP
OP

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
The s2k has the double wishbone suspension and fully adjustable. Less compromised. Hence the higher price tag.

CTR is a souped up econo box on a global platform.
porsche doesn't have double wishbone but they do just okay.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
AP1 weighs 2,800lbs with 240HP
FK8 weighs over 3,100 lbs with 306HP

OP
OP

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
typical s2k puts down about 210whp and even then the powerband is super short, type R puts down 300whp and nearly double the torque. thats why you see it walk the s2k on the straights.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Right, that's just in theory. There's more to a car than the suspension geometry.

If compromises didn't have to be made, double wishbone would be the ideal suspension setup.

The FK2 Touring race car has a custom double wishbone setup.

Same with the RealTimeRacing TLX. It has a custom double wishbone setup.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
The S2k should smoke the CTR on an autox track. Hence the S2k CR is ranked in the AS category.

Just depends on the situation.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
typical s2k puts down about 210whp and even then the powerband is super short, type R puts down 300whp and nearly double the torque. thats why you see it walk the s2k on the straights.
Maybe I should watch it again, but I didn't see the CTR walk away in the straights. It looked like the distance between the 2 stayed fairly consistent. When the SK2 destroyed that one turn he closed the gap. When the rear end got loose, the CTR was faster out of the turns. The lap time he showed were almost exactly the same, it just looked like the CTR did it without all the awesome drifting.

My point is that on track, the CTR is not much faster than the SK2, but the handling is just as good on its "econo-box" platform.

I know, insinuating that a FWD platform handles as well as the AP1 is grounds for execution by all the purists. I'll stand by that.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
all depends on the driver also, I believe the driver of the s2k is more experienced.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
It didn't look to me like that S2K was "fun" to drive in that video. Made me anxious just watching him manage the rear end in those turns.
To each their own I guess. That s2k looks amazingly fun. The go-kart like responsiveness to the throttle and steering, the edge-of-knife balance.

the porsche 918 and carrera gt have double wishbone :) Macphersons do okay, but double wishbone is better (and more satisfying to drive for many).
Sponsored