RV6 Performance Catless Downpipe Install Guide (for 1.5T)

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm glad to say that this install was very straight forward and fairly easy, all things considered.

You will need the following tools:
  • #2 Phillips head screwdriver
  • Medium or large flat blade screwdriver
  • 12mm wrench
  • 14mm wrench
  • 10mm socket
  • 14mm socket
  • 3" socket extention(s)
  • O2 sensor socket (optional)
  • Breaker bar (maybe optional)
  • PB blaster or other penetrating lubricant. (maybe optional)

Perform the steps as follows:

Allow the engine and exhaust components to cool down. You do not want to perform this job on an engine that was just running, the exhaust components will be very hot. You can take this time to safely place the car on jack stands or ramps. As always, do NOT work under your car with it only being held up by a jack of any kind.

Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Performance Catless Downpipe Install Guide (for 1.5T) IMG_0902.JPG

Remove this section of the intake.
Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Performance Catless Downpipe Install Guide (for 1.5T) IMG_0903.JPG

Unclip the O2 sensor plugs and remove them from the bracket that holds them in place.
Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Performance Catless Downpipe Install Guide (for 1.5T) IMG_0905.JPG

Next, remove the bracket that supports the O2 sensor clips. This is to access the rear bolts connecting the downpipe to the turbo.
Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Performance Catless Downpipe Install Guide (for 1.5T) IMG_0904.JPG

Next, remove the three 12mm bolts that attach the upper heat shield to the top of the inlet of the downpipe. A flex head ratcheting wrench is nice here but probably not required.

After removing the heat shield you can then remove the two 14mm bolts and two 14mm nuts that attach the downpipe to the turbo. I sprayed them with PB blaster a few minutes beforehand and thankfully did not have any trouble with them. They are tight, I did use a breaker bar. You will want to have extensions available for your socket wrench for this part to work around components as needed.

Next, you will need to remove the tray from the bottom of the car.

Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Performance Catless Downpipe Install Guide (for 1.5T) IMG_0908

Now you can unbolt the downpipe from the front pipe, as well as the two braces.

Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Performance Catless Downpipe Install Guide (for 1.5T) IMG_0906.JPG

All three of the studs at the bottom of the downpipe came out instead of just the nuts. This is not really a problem but may have been avoidable had I sprayed them with PB blaster before removing them.
Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Performance Catless Downpipe Install Guide (for 1.5T) IMG_0909.JPG

After that, you have everything unbolted and can carefully slide the downpipe out the bottom of the car. It's a tight fit and you will have to use the flex section of the front pipe to your advantage by sliding the forward end of the front pipe out of the way as needed.

Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Performance Catless Downpipe Install Guide (for 1.5T) IMG_0907.JPG

"Here's the problem." It is one we are not fixing today unfortunately. The turbine wheel on this turbocharger is even smaller than I expected. It is not much bigger around than a quarter. The new downpipe is going to open things up but this is the next improvement we need to target.
Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Performance Catless Downpipe Install Guide (for 1.5T) IMG_0910.JPG

Next we need to transfer components over from the old downpipe the new one. This heat shield is held on with a few 10mm bolts. The ability to maintain heat shields is a HUGE advantage this downpipe has over some of the other currently available options.
Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Performance Catless Downpipe Install Guide (for 1.5T) IMG_0913.JPG

The best way to remove the O2 sensor is with an O2 sensor socket. However, if you do not have one you can get by with a more conventional wrench.
Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Performance Catless Downpipe Install Guide (for 1.5T) IMG_0911.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Performance Catless Downpipe Install Guide (for 1.5T) IMG_0912.JPG

At this point all that is left is mounting the new downpipe and then reattaching everything you moved to get that far. "Re-assembly is the reverse of disassembly", as they say. Here is a bonus photo of the new downpipes during re-assembly.
Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Performance Catless Downpipe Install Guide (for 1.5T) IMG_0917.JPG

After getting everything bolted back up I took it for a 10 mile drive, no check engine light. I will update everyone if anything changes on that end. I look forward to the power gains this new component from @RV6 is going to allow me with my custom @VitViper tune.

Also, if you'd like some more detailed photos of the new downpipe please check out my unboxing thread.: http://www.civicx.com/threads/rv6-performance-cat-less-downpipe-unboxing.11491/

Last edited:

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

FKSE7EN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 HatchBack Sport 6MT
Country flag
Very clear and detailed write up on the install! Look forward to picking up this same catless downpipe in the near future.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After getting everything bolted back up I took it for a 10 mile drive, no check engine light. I will update everyone if anything changes on that end...
Really, no CEL?? Did you use a defouler? This just made the catless alot more appealing to me!

OP
OP
360glitch

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

IcyRyce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any exhaust clips?

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Very nice @360glitch guide.This will help me install my DP tomorrow.Whats your impression on its performance gains on your current tune?
feels about the same for me. not a huge noticeable difference if any. It does kind of feel like it spools faster but not sure if thats in my head or not. im waiting for it to stop raining to do some logs

OP
OP
360glitch

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very nice @360glitch guide.This will help me install my DP tomorrow.Whats your impression on its performance gains on your current tune?
The car feels good now but I think the downpipe will really shine once Vit finishes off the custom tune. I'm sure it will end up giving my clutch as much as it can handle and be ready for future upgrades. It will be an even more valuable asset once turbo upgrade options come to the table.

OP
OP
360glitch

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hondata custom tune. Going to take a easy the first few miles this time and see if it helps instead of beating on it
I wonder if a custom tune (completed after the downpipe install) would help.
Sponsored