Removing Chrome Window Trim

segways

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Do any of you guys know how to remove the chrome window trim from the doors? I want to wrap them.
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I forget, is the top part chrome or the bottom part?

For the bottom, it's pull towards back of car and pull up, carefully.

For the top...most likely just clipped on.

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do any of you guys know how to remove the chrome window trim from the doors? I want to wrap them.
Just did this and for anyone who attempts this, know that you are almost certainly going to bend and ruin the chrome molding if you try to remove it. Also, reinstalling it will be VERY difficult because the adhesive strip will be fighting you the entire time.

To remove the molding, you first need to remove one screw that is hidden under the weather stripping towards the top rear corner of the door. Once that is removed, there is an adhesive strip which runs almost the entire length of the molding. The adhesive strip begins about 6 inches in from the rear edge until about 3-5 inches in at the other end. You will need to use a heat gun to weaken the adhesive, as others have said. The adhesive is not the only thing holding the molding in place though. The molding has a sort of lip that lightly cups to the door along the top and bottom edges of the molding. Finally, the bottom end of the molding (mirror side) is tucked under the mirror assembly about 3 inches worth. To install new molding, leave the plastic strip that covers the adhesive strip in place while you are positioning the molding. In fact, the plastic strip has a tab that is intended to stick out from under the molding to allow removal, and thus exposure of the adhesive AFTER the molding is in place. I found that a little bit of soapy water sprayed onto the molding helped me position it during install. To start, you should begin at the edge near the mirror, and sort of snap the molding into place so that it can then slide under the plastic mirror assembly. Then continue to snap the molding in place, working up the length towards the rear of the door. You know you have placed it correctly when the hole in the molding which accepts the screw, lines up with the hole in the door frame.

Again, removing the molding without bending it, would be a remarkable feat. So you better have a replacement if you intend on removing it. Like i said before, reinstalling it would be very difficult with the adhesive strip exposed and attempting to stick to the door at every touch.

I also had to remove the black plastic molding panel that runs vertically along the edge of the door. It is secured to the door with two adhesive strips which run its length. A clip at the bottom of the plastic molding inserts into a hole in the door frame, i believe it's purpose is to aid in positioning of the plastic molding. I made the mistake of not ensuring the plastic was positioned correctly before removing the plastic strip that covers the adhesive strip. This resulted in a sizable gap between the top edge of the plastic molding, and the chrome molding. I attempted to remove the plastic molding and re-position but i bent the plastic, so i'll be installing a new piece. Good luck to anyone who needs to remove these pieces.