Remote Start Question

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Hey everyone,

Quick question.

I have the touring model with the remote start. In traditional vehicles with keys, when you remote start your vehicle and then you go to get in, you just turn your car to the "ON" position (or something like that) and the rest of the car turns on and you can drive. The car doesn't need to be shut off and turned back on.

Is there a way to do this with the remote start/push start combination?

If I get in my car and hit the brake or push the start button it shuts the motor off so I need to start it again... Not a HUGE deal but a bit of a pain in the butt. Didn't know if there was a way to get in, and just go without having to turn it off/back on.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
the engine doesnt shut off, the screen does a lil quick reset but thats it
No, when I remote start my car and go to get in the car, everything is off in terms of the display etc (as far as I can remember...the screen may be on), but when I go to touch the brake to put in gear the motor shuts off so I have to start it again.

madroxinide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
No, when I remote start my car and go to get in the car, everything is off in terms of the display etc (as far as I can remember...the screen may be on), but when I go to touch the brake to put in gear the motor shuts off so I have to start it again.
Are you 100% positive your engine shuts off?

Step 1: Remote start the car from a distance, verify that the engine is running.
Step 2: Get into the car, it should say on the screen behind the steering wheel that in order to proceed you must press the brake and then press the ignition button. (Pressing the ignition button here just turns on the rest of the car's systems, it shouldn't turn the engine on or off)
Step 3: Wait for your main console to start up if you want, and then drive away.

Are you saying you have to press the ignition button twice for Step 2 in order for your car to be running and for Step 3 to happen?

My coworker has a 2015 Honda Accord with an aftermarket remote start system. When he starts his car with remote start, his engine will shut off completely as soon as he opens the door, and then he has to restart the engine when he gets into the car. If you are experiencing something similar to this, definitely take it to the dealership you bought it.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Are you 100% positive your engine shuts off?

Step 1: Remote start the car from a distance, verify that the engine is running.
Step 2: Get into the car, it should say on the screen behind the steering wheel that in order to proceed you must press the brake and then press the ignition button.
Step 3: Wait for your main console to start up if you want, and then drive away.

Are you saying you have to press the ignition button twice for Step 2 in order for your car to be running and for Step 3 to happen?
Here's what happens:

1) Remote start the car
2) Go to get in the car after a few minutes
3) As far as I remember, the screen is off (will have to double check this)
4) Go to press either the brake or the start button, and the engine shuts off

Then I just start the car like normal and I'm on my way.

madroxinide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Here's what happens:

1) Remote start the car
2) Go to get in the car after a few minutes
3) As far as I remember, the screen is off (will have to double check this)
4) Go to press either the brake or the start button, and the engine shuts off

Then I just start the car like normal and I'm on my way.
Yeah that doesn't sound like its working right.

Ash2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC 2016 Touring
Ok. Thats not the right way to turn the car ON....
When you step in the car make sure to press the brake pedal and then push start button like you normally start your car. It won't turn your car off then. That's how even manual says.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Ok. Thats not the right way to turn the car ON....
When you step in the car make sure to press the brake pedal and then push start button like you normally start your car. It won't turn your car off then. That's how even manual says.
Correct, but as soon as I touch the brake, the engine shuts off.

classmarcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T LSM ; 2006 Civic EX ASM
Country flag
No, when I remote start my car and go to get in the car, everything is off in terms of the display etc (as far as I can remember...the screen may be on), but when I go to touch the brake TO PUT IN GEAR the motor shuts off so I have to start it again.
Red text is where you're doing it wrong...

With the car remotely started,
1) Step on the brakes then,
2) press the start button.

wait 3 seconds and the radio and tach will turn on.
then put it in gear and have fun

That is the order that you should be doing it.

Last edited:

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Hey everyone,

Quick question.

I have the touring model with the remote start. In traditional vehicles with keys, when you remote start your vehicle and then you go to get in, you just turn your car to the "ON" position (or something like that) and the rest of the car turns on and you can drive. The car doesn't need to be shut off and turned back on.

Is there a way to do this with the remote start/push start combination?

If I get in my car and hit the brake or push the start button it shuts the motor off so I need to start it again... Not a HUGE deal but a bit of a pain in the butt. Didn't know if there was a way to get in, and just go without having to turn it off/back on.

Thanks!
Correct, but as soon as I touch the brake, the engine shuts off.
Unless the Touring works a lot differently from the EX, here is how it should be:
1) Remote start
2) Go to car, touch door handle to unlock
3) Get in car, close door, & the instrument panel will be on with a message about what to do
4) Press brake, & also push start button on dash to put car into "ready to drive" mode
5) Shift into gear to drive

If you remote start your car, unlock, & get in, when you push the brake pedal the car shuts off, there is definitely something wrong.

But if you can't even remember if there is anything on your display when you get in after remote starting, not to mention that you posted different behaviors in your posts I quoted, I question everything that you've posted.

Try again, and post detailed, accurate, consistent info about what happens, and maybe somebody can help further.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Unless the Touring works a lot differently from the EX, there is something wrong with your car.
1) Remote start
2) Go to car, touch door handle to unlock
3) Get in car, close door, & the instrument panel will be on with a message about what to do
4) Press brake & push start button on dash to put car into "ready to drive" mode
5) Shift into gear to drive

If you remote start your car, unlock, & get in, when you push the brake pedal the car shuts off, there is definitely something wrong.

But if you can't even remember if there is anything on your display when you get in after remote starting, not to mention that you posted different behaviors in your posts I quoted, I question everything that you've posted.

Try again, and post detailed, accurate, consistent info about what happens, and maybe somebody can help further.
What exactly did I say that was 2 different behaviours? lol. Got meth?

I thought based on what someone above said, that the message appears on the display... like the stereo screen. I do see it on the gauge screen.

I get in the car after remote starting it, and go to hit the brake + push start, or just the brake or just the start button, and the motor shuts off, requiring me to push start my vehicle again.

Take your time and read it thoroughly lol.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What exactly did I say that was 2 different behaviours? lol. Got meth?

I thought based on what someone above said, that the message appears on the display... like the stereo screen. I do see it on the gauge screen.

I get in the car after remote starting it, and go to hit the brake + push start, or just the brake or just the start button, and the motor shuts off, requiring me to push start my vehicle again.

Take your time and read it thoroughly lol.
I'm not sure why you're asking for meth, but you have a meth habit, this forum is certainly not the place to be asking for it.

Anyway, like I already said, and you seem to be confirming it here, if you remote start your car, unlock, & get in, and without touching anything else when you push the brake pedal the car shuts off, there is definitely something wrong. So you should probably take it to a dealer to be diagnosed and repaired.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Step on the brake and then hit the start button
bartlettjosh600 keeps saying that as soon as the brake pedal is pressed the car shuts off.
Sponsored