CdnCvx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX MSM
Not seeing any details yet, but am getting confirmation of a recall/update campaign for my VIN. Screenshot from Honda Canada site below...

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic engine recall - piston pin snap ring issue affecting some VINs upload_2016-1-31_11-53-40
Sponsored

KA0S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring WOP, Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Could it be because first they tag the affected VINs while they are otherwise working out the details and the communications on the subject and so on? All the postings on this would indicate something like that. VIN-specific stop sale or tagged for a defect with info to follow.
This is a possibility for sure...But there was no "info to follow". Apparently there was specific info which only some Honda employees have.

I hope this turns out not be an issue for all of our sake. Because if this is an actual issue affecting thousands of cars, it's being handled in a Mickey Mouse manner. Pistons coming loose is not something to play around with...I could see stop sales and VIN-specific info broadcast throughout, with repair info to follow...But if your motor blows while driving 100 km/h, it's a MAJOR safety risk. I know, because it happened to my Tahoe in the middle of a 4 lane highway...

Last edited:

KA0S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not seeing any details yet, but am getting confirmation of a recall/update campaign for my VIN. Screenshot from Honda Canada site below...

upload_2016-1-31_11-53-40.png

Same...Doesn't seem to be motor-specific either since you have an LX, and I have a Touring.....

My VIN starts with 2 as well, so could be plant-specific.

Ours were both made in Alliston...That being said....my sequence number is WAY off from yours after the 'H'. If they do go in numerical order, this would affect tens of thousands of Civics..

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
@KA0S, I think you are reading way too much into a story for which there is next to no information on yet. You already have motors blowing all over North America and every Honda technician dropping pistons out of every '16 Civic engines. We just do not have that much information. You already see gremlins because not every soul alive connected to Honda knowing all possible details when it's entirely possible this is a problem that only came to light in the last several days and is still being assessed/having all the communications about it clear the lawyers. Chill out. If you are that worried, start walking until we know more.

People freak out because automakers don't recall cars the moment the first shred of evidence there might be a problem surfaces anywhere. People freak out because automakers do start the gears in motion quickly for an issue, but don't start every gear turning with full information and the entire recovery plan and what not at the exact same moment. They can't win.

KA0S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@KA0S, I think you are reading way too much into a story for which there is next to no information on yet. You already have motors blowing all over North America and every Honda technician dropping pistons out of every '16 Civic engines. We just do not have that much information. You already see gremlins because not every soul alive connected to Honda knowing all possible details when it's entirely possible this is a problem that only came to light in the last several days and is still being assessed/having all the communications about it clear the lawyers. Chill out. If you are that worried, start walking until we know more.

People freak out because automakers don't recall cars the moment the first shred of evidence there might be a problem surfaces anywhere. People freak out because automakers do start the gears in motion quickly for an issue, but don't start every gear turning with full information and the entire recovery plan and what not at the exact same moment. They can't win.

I'm not freaking out. I'm trying to make sense how three of us have called Honda USA, and one out of three have received specific info pertaining to this recall...Does this not sound odd to you? Why don't you give them a call yourself and see what you get for an answer?

There was very specific info posted from the OP....That's not "next to no info"..

Please do not put words in my mouth. I didn't say motors all over North America were blowing. What I said was, if this is an engineering or design flaw, or even as you mentioned, a run of vehicles from a factory, it is a North American issue. Pistons are internal. Any internal work rectifying a piston issue, either requires a motor swap, or a disassembly and rebuild. This would be the case for this recall if the info is correct.

I understand your standpoint, as you do not own a 2016 Civic..So it's no skin off your back if our vehicles have to go in for repair...Obviously those of us who are possibly affected, would like to know if this is a baloney or not...No harm in discussing it, as this is a discussion forum. ;)

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Your idea of "very specific info" and my idea of very specific info must be radically different.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Bobman describes a safety recall. The website: http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls should pull from the same computer database as you'd get by calling in. Maybe Bobman would be willing to share his VIN, so others could confirm - or show a screenshot from that page.

Personally, it does sound like a hoax, but who knows, with everything else that's been disappointing with this car.

KA0S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your idea of "very specific info" and my idea of very specific info must be radically different.
"It's the engine. It seems that some fastener is coming loose or breaking causing pistons To come loose too.

Parts are currently unavailable."

The above was posted by the OP, who received this info from Honda USA. I don't know how, with the exception of "some fastener", this is ambiguous info. It states specifically that this problem causes the pistons to come loose.

Apparently, this came from Honda USA, though two of us have not been able to replicate this info with calls to the same number...

Hence my scepticism...

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
Do i believe Honda rushed this car out to make money and win car of the year? Theres a good part of me that thinks so. Theres just some aspects to this all that seem weird. Also my nervousness that my 1st brand new car may be due for an engine recall is a bit alarming. Also do no other members care about this? Seems to be like 4 of us going back and forth.

KA0S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bobman describes a safety recall. The website: http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls should pull from the same computer database as you'd get by calling in. Maybe Bobman would be willing to share his VIN, so others could confirm - or show a screenshot from that page.

Personally, it does sound like a hoax, but who knows, with everything else that's been disappointing with this car.
He posted his VIN with results stating there are no recalls for the VIN. This was earlier in the thread. As you mentioned, the two should be pulling from the same database.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't see any reason to suspect it's a hoax. It is just "a developing story" with not much information to go on yet. Even TSB #16-1, available for all to read, had dealers denying it--because they hadn't read their news page or remembered it--and to this day has all kinds of people confused about what it is and isn't, and which vehicles it affects and doesn't and why that is. Did somebody call Honda and get some verbal story from a weekend shift call center minion, that may or may not have been precise in the first place, or communicated by somebody who really had a clue about the technical subject matter and good information about what is really going on, much less was the conversation conveyed here verbatim? Sure. Can somebody else call with a different VIN, ask the question a slightly different way, of a different weekend call center minion. and get a different answer? Not shocking to me in the slightest.

We're talking about a major engine design flaw which would lead to catastrophic engine damage. You realize that is an engine blows, or there is internal engine damage, to swap a motor is anywhere from 15-20 hours
Words not put in mouth.

He posted his VIN with results stating there are no recalls for the VIN. This was earlier in the thread. As you mentioned, the two should be pulling from the same database.
Maybe they aren't? Honda would be far from the only company in the world to propagate internal database updates to external facing servers on a batch basis overnight.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Edit: I called - the website is not up to date for his vin. There is a safety recall and stop sale on that vehicle. Screenshot for his VIN:
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic engine recall - piston pin snap ring issue affecting some VINs upload_2016-1-31_12-51-10

Last edited:

KA0S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do i believe Honda rushed this car out to make money and win car of the year? Theres a good part of me that thinks so. Theres just some aspects to this all that seem weird. Also my nervousness that my 1st brand new car may be due for an engine recall is a bit alarming. Also do no other members care about this? Seems to be like 4 of us going back and forth.

I think that with all new generation vehicles, we take a risk that bugs and issues are not fully ironed out yet. I knew this going in when I decided to lease my Civic. As long as issues are minor and easily fixed e.g the Touring Infotainment issue, then it's not too big of a pain. I don't mind dropping the car off for the day to have something done...If it turns out we're having to have our vehicles into the shop more than driving them, then I'd label this gen lemons...

I'm hoping I get an answer from Honda as well for the surging CVT. There's no way while at a constant speed and throttle position, should the CVT be fluctuating the RPM up and down where you can feel it in your vehicle. Mine feels as though someone is changing the throttle position constantly while I'm going between 85-90 km/h...

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm no expert, but the fact that the recall notice in Canada covers both engines, based on above posts from KAOS (Touring) and CdnCvx (LX), makes me hopeful that it isn't an engine issue. I will post any information that I get from my dealer tomorrow.

Last edited:

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe they aren't? Honda would be far from the only company in the world to propagate internal database updates to external facing servers on a batch basis overnight.
That is true - overnight updates are common - a simple cron job. However, this was yesterday, and today is today, so an overnight has occurred.

In fact, the website specifically says that it was updated yesterday (Last Updated 1/30/2016). I just pulled this today.

Hopefully this is a hoax. I see no real evidence that this is real at this time.

EDIT: I just called with his vin. There is a safety recall regarding a piston pin snap ring. There is a stop sale on it.
Sponsored

Last edited: