Reasons to turn off Civic while in motion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheric Continua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I tried searching the forums but I couldn't find anything about the topic (though I may have missed it).

Apparently with the EX and above trims one can press the Start/Stop button while the car is in motion. If this is true, is there any reason or benefit for it? I've read that one can turn off the car while in neutral and at a complete stop to keep accessory mode on, but not why one would want to shut off the engine while moving.
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
If the engine catches fire?...

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
When I was younger my idiot friend shut off his motor for some reason. The steering wheel locked and we went sliding along the highway concrete barrier.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
We've had that discussion. I'd say the unintentional acceleration bullet point would be the only real one left to consider.

cycledrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Accord sedan 4 cyl
IF Honda would allow the car to shut down while moving by holding the start/stop button for x seconds, I think damage to the engine and transmission would occur.

It's probably possible to switch off an older motorcycle while moving in gear if the rider wants to end up on the ground and jack up their engine and tranny. Engines and transmissions really like to run without oil circulating .... J/K

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
The engine still has oil circulating if the pump is mechanical. Even without, there's enough residual lubrication to keep things good for awhile. The tranny might be a different story, but it would still coast for miles before needing attention, most likely.

Scratch that, I was thinking manual transmission for the engine. The engine wouldn't need oil at all, cause OFF!

Last edited:

LX16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe lx
The engine still has oil circulating if the pump is mechanical.
True. As far as I know, all oil pumps are mechanical. Think of the Jake brake on a big rig, if lube was an issue after shut off, those engines wouldn't last long. I still think it's goofy to shut off the engine while driving. The extra wear and tear on the starter alone from repeatedly doing this will far exceed the gas you MIGHT save.

TheCodifier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
On the fuel saving aspect, it would be totally useless since no fuel will be injected in the cylinders while coasting down a hill or coasting to a stop anyway (in gear of course).
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.