First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would hope they squeeze at the minimum, 225hp and 200 plus torque. If not, I don't think this car will have large sales numbers.

Deleted member 3699

I think it looks good. Not too sure why all the hate. It is a little more subtle looking and makes me thinking it's growing up. The only thing i don't like is that wing and thats an easy enough fix. I think Honda will nail it with this car and with the 1.5 turbo. Fastest Si ever and yet Honda somehow dropped the balll? The hype was like this was an Auston Martin. You want a lil more extreme crazy, well that is what the Type R is for. The coupe is a good looking car and this is thr best of the coupe with the black grille. Love the interior too.
I think a lot of you someone expected the type R when this model is the grade in between. Good job so far. When people see this in person and sit in it, they are going to fall in love. And probably enjoy tuning and creating their own look to their Si.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
What did we really expect from the Civic Si? The 1.5T engine is substantial enough to create the most powerful and highest performance Civic Si to date. This is all a win for Honda. They probably saw the 2.0T as complete overkill and not necessary.

If you put yourself in the perspective of an average person buying a new car.... They dont care about the difference between a 1.5T or 2.0T. All that matters is its new and improved and the fastest Civic Si ever. Thats all... Honestly I bet it will be a great car! Just a shame it has very limited potential for tuning, and the competition will out power it. But then again, the competition has ALWAYS out powered Hondas, and Hondas are still selling.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I will agree with you guys that modern 2.0T are basically overkill on a FWD sport compact. I put a piggyback on my GTI and it pretty much doesn't have traction at all in 2 gears. I took the piggyback off, and despite being slower, the car is much better to drive without the Jekyll/Hyde personality.

Yes I agree that 1.5T will be fine in stock form on the Si, and may very well in fact be nicely balanced to FWD. People who don't want to mess with their car will be happy, I am sure.
BUT, BUT BUT!! Who the heck buys a MT only car, with sporty intentions and doesn't plan on tweaking it, even a little? By saying the 1.5T is fine for many people, well, many people want an automatic option also. The 1.5T doesn't make the Si intense enough to warrant MT only. And, anyone who begins modding their Si will eventually run into a wall....the displacement is too small on the 1.5T, and when compared to tuned 2.0T sport compacts...well, modding is a disease and people will need accept LESS from the 1.5T Si.

Those of you who will enjoy the Si for what it is, you will enjoy the car. Those looking for the next coming of the K series monster potential cars will be disappointed.

canadasiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I will agree with you guys that modern 2.0T are basically overkill on a FWD sport compact. I put a piggyback on my GTI and it pretty much doesn't have traction at all in 2 gears. I took the piggyback off, and despite being slower, the car is much better to drive without the Jekyll/Hyde personality.

Yes I agree that 1.5T will be fine in stock form on the Si, and may very well in fact be nicely balanced to FWD. People who don't want to mess with their car will be happy, I am sure.
BUT, BUT BUT!! Who the heck buys a MT only car, with sporty intentions and doesn't plan on tweaking it, even a little? By saying the 1.5T is fine for many people, well, many people want an automatic option also. The 1.5T doesn't make the Si intense enough to warrant MT only. And, anyone who begins modding their Si will eventually run into a wall....the displacement is too small on the 1.5T, and when compared to tuned 2.0T sport compacts...well, modding is a disease and people will need accept LESS from the 1.5T Si.

Those of you who will enjoy the Si for what it is, you will enjoy the car. Those looking for the next coming of the K series monster potential cars will be disappointed.
Well said...

Hypnotoad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Juke, Acura TL
Country flag
I think it's going to depend a lot on exactly how much power the Si can put down in stock form. If it's in GTI territory it sounds like a win to me. But I need a hatch.

Really interesting to see adaptive suspension at this level. I bet the fully loaded coupe will be a hoot to drive. Much like the F-RS/BRZ gets a lot of hate for being underpowered, this might be a great car if you aren't obsessed with 0-60 numbers.

ElliotCanada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 CR, Porsche GT3 RS
Looking forward to adding a 17 Civic SI Coupe to run at Car Lapping Events at Grand Bend Raceway in South Western Ontario Canada. We had two 2008 Honda S2000 CRs, but I decided to sell one and replace it with a 10th Generation Civic. Depending on availability, we hope to have a Civic R as well, but we want to show what the lower priced SI can do on the Technical Circuit. I'm interested in the Braking and Handling of what promises to be the highest performance Honda SI model ever out of the showroom.

Looking forward to see what the HART Team will run in the IMSA Continental Tire ST Class in 2017. Perhaps a preview at the Thunderhill 25 Hour Enduro?

canadasiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
What did we really expect from the Civic Si? The 1.5T engine is substantial enough to create the most powerful and highest performance Civic Si to date. This is all a win for Honda. They probably saw the 2.0T as complete overkill and not necessary.

If you put yourself in the perspective of an average person buying a new car.... They dont care about the difference between a 1.5T or 2.0T. All that matters is its new and improved and the fastest Civic Si ever. Thats all... Honestly I bet it will be a great car! Just a shame it has very limited potential for tuning, and the competition will out power it. But then again, the competition has ALWAYS out powered Hondas, and Hondas are still selling.
I would have to 100% disagree with this statement. While every manufacturer is making more powerful cars and surpassing Honda, the fact that the SI will be faster than the last one is good enough? I'm sorry but either innovate or die....that is what Honda has to do/

Their complacency is what has pushed me away from their product and I did want to come back to their product.

I am not trying to be a troll or click bait others....it is just frustrating to see others be happy with so so product....the more we settle, the less Honda will innovate.

I have yet to drive an SI that was as good as my 2002 RSX Type S and that was 14 years ago on a platform that was shared with future civics....this is why we can't settle

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would have to 100% disagree with this statement. While every manufacturer is making more powerful cars and surpassing Honda, the fact that the SI will be faster than the last one is good enough? I'm sorry but either innovate or die....that is what Honda has to do/

Their complacency is what has pushed me away from their product and I did want to come back to their product.

I am not trying to be a troll or click bait others....it is just frustrating to see others be happy with so so product....the more we settle, the less Honda will innovate.

I have yet to drive an SI that was as good as my 2002 RSX Type S and that was 14 years ago on a platform that was shared with future civics....this is why we can't settle
Im not happy with a 1.5T Civic Si AT ALL lol. I actually will never own one. Ive already jumped ship into a 2017 Golf R.

Yes I agree. The olden days when Honda was engineering first was the best Honda. Your 2002 RSX-S was revolutionary back then. Such a good car. Times are changing and Honda is riding its reliability reputation to sell cars. It wont work forever.

gwaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac vibe
Really Honda? The one car we were all waiting for as enthusiasts…

They must know this because they're being so secretive with information that most of us probably assumed anyway, and now look… Many are disappointed with the choice of a 1.5 L

How do you wheel out a car and say "well this isnt the actual car because we're not gonna give you this paint job and these aren't the production wheels by the way, you will have to buy them after market."

I would've rather waited to see the actual production version. What the final car is gonna look like, with final paint jobs, and final wheels. Such a disappointment today...

I have seven payments left on my lease and the new civic SI was, until today, on my shortlist. But Hondas lack of PR skills, coupled with a flawed choice in the 1.5 L which is just a less restrictive version of most other Civics in the 10 generation. This two minute announcement today did nothing for me in wanting to keep the new SI on my shortlist. It's safe to say that it's likely the next car to actually get cut from the list...

(drops mic in disappointment)
Honda Civic 10th gen Really...??? Your thoughts??? FB_IMG_1477583841356

canadasiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Im not happy with a 1.5T Civic Si AT ALL lol. I actually will never own one. Ive already jumped ship into a 2017 Golf R.

Yes I agree. The olden days when Honda was engineering first was the best Honda. Your 2002 RSX-S was revolutionary back then. Such a good car. Times are changing and Honda is riding its reliability reputation to sell cars. It wont work forever.
My thoughts exactly vtak....ironic...my 17 Golf R arrives next week....

I would have cross shopped the Type R against the golf R ...would have even bought an SI if it could have brought back that RSX magic but Honda has lost it's way.

In Winnipeg, the prototypical SI buyers from the past have headed German to the GTI....probably 3 GTI's for every SI in Winnipeg...and the golf R is more like 4 for every WRX here.

I think overall that the Japanese-designed cars have lost all of their fun....where is the MS3? Where is a fun SI? What happened to the Nissan hot hatches from the 90's? And the BRZ is wayyyy too slow....WRX is a crappy plastic mobile....

Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Mazda all need to breathe some life into their sporty cars...we all suffer because the profits are in SUV's so they don't spend the R&D$ on our cars like they used to...such a shame

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Although you won't disappointed on your 2017 Golf R, I'm shocked your comparing a car that 99% of Civic Si owners can not afford or were not cross shopping.

Also your math with 4-1 Golf Rs to WRXs is very suspect. I would take 10-1 there are more WRXs in Winnipeg than Rs. Shit I had to drive across 4 states when I bought my Golf R. It's much more rare and limited production.

However I just sold my 2016 Golf R with APR stage 1 tune to get the Civic type R because I've always wanted one. I guess I have car ADD.

(PS throw some Blizzaks on the R and it is a tank in the snow and ice)

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe it's just me, but when I go car shopping, yeah I can afford a Golf R, but if the Si is worth it why not save myself 15k? Si isn't worth it for me IMO. 1.5t loaded HFP spec si might be easily over 30s for us Canadians.
Sponsored