Really...??? Your thoughts???

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (Boost Blue)
Country flag
Really Honda? The one car we were all waiting for as enthusiasts…

They must know this because they're being so secretive with information that most of us probably assumed anyway, and now look… Many are disappointed with the choice of a 1.5 L

How do you wheel out a car and say "well this isnt the actual car because we're not gonna give you this paint job and these aren't the production wheels by the way, you will have to buy them after market."

I would've rather waited to see the actual production version. What the final car is gonna look like, with final paint jobs, and final wheels. Such a disappointment today...

I have seven payments left on my lease and the new civic SI was, until today, on my shortlist. But Hondas lack of PR skills, coupled with a flawed choice in the 1.5 L which is just a less restrictive version of most other Civics in the 10 generation. This two minute announcement today did nothing for me in wanting to keep the new SI on my shortlist. It's safe to say that it's likely the next car to actually get cut from the list...

(drops mic in disappointment)
Sponsored

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
Yeah was supposed to compete with the gti and focus st. Now it's more on par with the fiesta st.

I would have expected a honda fit si to have a 1.5t, but not a civic si. Hell, the fiesta st has a 1.6t.

The new gti will have 242hp from the 2.0 and will have a very high ceiling for tuning.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only thing this reveal did was make me feel good about going ahead and ordering a Sport hatchback. The few things I am missing aren't that big of a deal.

Roddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So disappointed. I'm really let down. Why was the other thread locked?

Does Honda do any market research?

I noticed Honda pro Jason asked for feedback after the unveiling so he could take that feedback to Honda. Is that Honda's market research strategy? I like Honda Pro Jason but if they are really relying on that Honda should have come to this forum 10 months ago.

No one wanted a 1.5T!! Are they competing with the Fiesta ST now?

I also want to see how much horsepower the Si has... although now I have a certain expectation ...

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
I posted this on the other thread too, but just wanted to give some perspective on the motor choice.

For those of you disappointed by the engine size, just keep in mind some of the factors Honda probably had to consider when making the decision:

1. Will the Si cannibalize on Type R sales?

2. If the 2.0L engine is used the cost will go up, potentially making the car unaffordable to the target market, and might prevent it from competing against certain cars like the Veloster Turbo, for example.

3. The 1.5L motor is extremely robust and capable of 300 hp (durability tested to this amount, so we've heard). Same goes for the manual transmission. There is more than enough headroom for the Si to use that motor. Even if the Si only has about 215 hp it will still feel quite a bit faster than the previous generation one, due to the huge swell of torque the turbo motor generates. We just purchased a 1.5T manual transmission sedan and I can tell you it feels quick, even though it is only rated at around 174 hp.

revin9k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s2000
Country flag
guys...relax. honda was able to squeeze out 240hp out of the 2.0L s2000 motor. i can see the si pumping out at least 230 on a 1.5L with more room. Honda engines are very stout and tuners will have a ton of success cracking 300hp.

Wizerud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mini Clubman S All4
So disappointed with the choice of 1.5l. I'm within my 12-month "extended" lease period (40th month basically and I extended it specifically to wait for this) and it sucks having to consider other vehicles more seriously now when I just wanted another Si. Maybe if they release some specs and some people have driven it and given it the thumbs up I might still be swayed. Otherwise, so meh.

I do like the headlights though. They looked sharp! They'd better be on the production vehicle!

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
So disappointed with the choice of 1.5l. I'm within my 12-month "extended" lease period (40th month basically and I extended it specifically to wait for this) and it sucks having to consider other vehicles more seriously now when I just wanted another Si. Maybe if they release some specs and some people have driven it and given it the thumbs up I might still be swayed. I do like the LED headlights though. They looked sharp! They'd better be on the production vehicle!
The prototype didn't have LED headlights...

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So disappointed with the choice of 1.5l. I'm within my 12-month "extended" lease period (40th month basically and I extended it specifically to wait for this) and it sucks having to consider other vehicles more seriously now when I just wanted another Si. Maybe if they release some specs and some people have driven it and given it the thumbs up I might still be swayed. Otherwise, so meh.

I do like the headlights though. They looked sharp! They'd better be on the production vehicle!
Those were just the DRLs, the full headlights were halogen, i.e. as on the LX to EX-L models. Look at @Newflyer3's profile pic - those are the LED headlights.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
So disappointed, speechless.

At least it is one less thing for me to want. I will get the wife a Sport hatchback and throw a tune on it, voila! Instant "Si". meh.... speaking of which, what prevents a Sport hatch 6MT from being a tune away from an Si? The LSD would be the most glaring difference. Otherwise, the hatchbacks already look JUST LIKE the Si! F-u Honda.

I will stay with VW now, was gonna go Si after my GTI lease. Nope. I'd actually rather have an Accord V6 at this point over an Si. Gonna put Golf R on my radar to sooth my hurt-butt.

The EA888 in the VW is so freaking advanced, not even HONDA can create a 1.5T with all of their HONDA magic to make such a small motor compete with people who will tune. I'm over 300HP in my GTI with a $400 piggyback. How can people like me come back to Honda after experiencing REAL tuning potential? CTR you say?? NO way. next step from a monster FWD GTI is a monster AWD Golf R....not a FWD CTR. Go watch videos from UK, CTR vs. Golf R, they are in same price bracket, but the Golf R slaughters it. Hell, a GTI with a $400 piggyback will smack down a CTR. I am so disappointed. OK, OK, the CTR does really well on a track. But then there is the GTI Clubsport that does even better.

Then their is the Focus ST and RS....for comparison shoppers.

This new Si is merely a sporty daily driver. And Honda may as well put the damn CVT in it now.

AzulKari

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Like most others, I'm disappointed in the choice of engine. I can see why they would have chosen it, but I also don't know how its going to go for sales. The 9th gen Si wasn't that inspiring and while I like the looks/interior of this generation much better, I'm not sure if I want to get a 10th gen. The price I'm guessing like before will be a lot more competitive compared to the WRX/Focus St/GTI otherwise I don't see the point. Hyundai even makes an Elantra sport with a 1.6L turbo that has been show to get some pretty good power when tuned in the Veloster application with a DCT and manual. Not that it compares to Honda's quality and the Civic name, but Honda just needs to know that everyone is going for the sporty part of the compact segment.

I will wait to see pricing and more numbers before I jump the gun, but might be time to try something new. Although I might still try out the Ex-T or hatchback and see how those fair as just an easy to live with daily.

twitchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Acura RDX, 2010 Honda FIT
sport touring looks so much better... pretty nice OEM rims LED lights lip kit... SI is not looking super great atm even if it is 230 HP really digging the sport touring in comparison

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
So disappointed, speechless.

At least it is one less thing for me to want. I will get the wife a Sport hatchback and throw a tune on it, voila! Instant "Si". meh.... speaking of which, what prevents a Sport hatch 6MT from being a tune away from an Si? The LSD would be the most glaring difference. Otherwise, the hatchbacks already look JUST LIKE the Si! F-u Honda.

I will stay with VW now, was gonna go Si after my GTI lease. Nope. I'd actually rather have an Accord V6 at this point over an Si. Gonna put Golf R on my radar to sooth my hurt-butt.

The EA888 in the VW is so freaking advanced, not even HONDA can create a 1.5T with all of their HONDA magic to make such a small motor compete with people who will tune. I'm over 300HP in my GTI with a $400 piggyback. How can people like me come back to Honda after experiencing REAL tuning potential? CTR you say?? NO way. next step from a monster FWD GTI is a monster AWD Golf R....not a FWD CTR. Go watch videos from UK, CTR vs. Golf R, they are in same price bracket, but the Golf R slaughters it. Hell, a GTI with a $400 piggyback will smack down a CTR. I am so disappointed. OK, OK, the CTR does really well on a track. But then there is the GTI Clubsport that does even better.

Then their is the Focus ST and RS....for comparison shoppers.

This new Si is merely a sporty daily driver. And Honda may as well put the damn CVT in it now.
Hatchback Sport with a tune vs an Si?
What's the difference?
That's a very good question - my hunch is that the active suspension and the LSD are going to make a larger difference than we realize. I had a Taurus SHO once. 240 hp. Very difficult to steer straight when you were on the gas - and I bet that car had 800 pounds on the Honda. LSD is going to be critical for >200 hp. And if the new active suspension is REALLY active and done well, it might make the Si handle very much like the Type R. This could be a game changer. The focus would be handling rather than brute force. Would this make a difference to your shopping list?

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Curios to see engine/trans specs between the sport hatch and the Si. Going to be cray if a tune, LSD and coilovers get you an Si.
Sponsored