JacobSyndeo

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
“Holly”: 2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I've had my 2017 EX hatchback for 2 weeks now, and the MPG has been nothing but garbage. It's averaging around 12, even when in Econ mode and driving like a grandma. I took it back to the dealership, and they said there's nothing they can do about it, since EPA ratings aren't guarantees, but best-case-scenarios.

Well, sure, of course they're best-case. But I'd have expected something like 25 at WORST. 12 is abysmal, especially for such a small car. 12 is more akin to a pickup truck. Heck, my old '91 Integra—a 25-year-old car—got better MPG than this!

I feel like I've been screwed badly by this car in terms of MPG, and I have no idea what to do about it. The dealership won't do anything about it since they say this is normal, but I'm calling BS on that.

Honda Civic 10th gen Really Bad MPG in my '17 EX Hatchback hG6IVJrr
Sponsored

BrianDevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX HatchWagon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you have just bought the car new, it will be a little odd until you break it in a bit. I had the same issue for the first few days, but as he car set in, it was doing much better. I'm about a month in and its averaging 28.3 with lots of stop and go traffic.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I've had my 2017 EX hatchback for 2 weeks now
Two weeks and you've only put 199 miles on it? Also, the gas gauge is pegged on full. There is a setting that resets the MPG average when the tank is filled. Right after you fill, and the MPG is reset, idling in the gas station and the first acceleration cause the MPG to go very low. But over the whole tank you'll see the valid value.

Put some more miles on it and track your MPG by hand if you are truly concerned.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
seems normal to me. when i got my Sedan it was only 15mpg from the dealer. i have 6000 miles on it now and its at about 34-33.

M1joachim

New Honda owner!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
I didn't experience this, my MPG was 38-40 from the day I bought it new.
After about 250 miles in week one, I'm around 29 MPG, but i haven't done much highway driving at all

yyzcbphatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini CS
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah as what others said, it gets better as you drive it more, esp on the highway...mind sucked as well at the begining....like 9.0L/100km, then now he avg is 8. and sometimes 7.5.

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
averaging 7.2L since 2 days with my inke....always boosting to hear the spool.....lol

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
Either reset the meter or fill it up whenever you get a chance. Try and drive below 2k RPM around town and then go on the highway for ten miles or so at 65-70 mph. If you're getting 12 mpg after that type of drive, something is definitely wrong.

Barticus520

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic sport touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That does sound weird. My hatchback sport has been averaging 33 in a mix of ny city traffic. That's since I bought it 1 month ago and nearly 2000 miles. Is this mpg verified by checking how much fuel you fill into the car and how many miles you go? The computer might be wrong.

Sman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EX Hatch w/ Sensing
12 mpg doing what? If you said that you remote start your car for 10 minutes and drive only a couple miles in town several times a day, I could see this.

The night I bought my car I drove it 160 miles home on the highway (60-70 mph) and averaged 36. Now I get 40 and sometimes get 50 mpgs, but if it is raining and I drive 72 I get 33 mpg hwy.

Spinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
This could be the break-in period, it could also do with how you drive it. The first 600 or so miles on my EX-T sedan were similar, but then again, I was mostly taking short trips (The 1.5 turbo engine seems to hate those, as the car doesn't get properly warmed up when you're driving under 5-6 miles under 40 mph).

A great trick I learned to keep gas mileage down, even with Eco off, is to keep the car under 2,000 rpm when you're accelerating. It can be pretty easy to want to gun it in this thing (since, let's be real, the acceleration on these CivicX's rock). Keep an eye on the green lights around the top of the dash. If it stays green, it means you're driving efficiently. Light green means still efficient, but not optimal. White--which pops up when you're idling--means you're not using gas efficiently.

Try this for a bit. There may be some issues with your build, but give it a shot if you aren't already. :)
Sponsored