Question about the factory “spoiler” and trunk.

atillathefun

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic sedan touring
Country flag
So I want to remove that stock “spoiler” that comes on the touring 4 door, and replace it with a little duckbill one I found online. The only problem is I know the trunk has those 8 small holes in it under that stock spoiler. The duckbill should cover the holes but I want to know if there is anything I can do to prevent water from coming in through those holes just in case. Has anyone here put a different spoiler on and if so what, if anything, did you use to cover those holes?

Also, this being the first car I’ve owned that I want to add things to, how well will the 3m tape that is supposed to hold it down do at actually holding it sucurely to the car?
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
The lazy way to fill the holes is with a rubber plug, but that's only semi-permanent, and it'll look ugly.
The hard way to fill the holes is to bondo/paint.
An alternative is to buy/source/trade a trunk lid from a lower trim that doesn't have the holes.

Also, bolt the new spoiler down. Tape is still tape, regardless of 3M or not. If you think about what a spoiler is supposed to do aerodynamically you'd want it secured to your car, so it doesn't fly off behind you and kill that family in the minivan on their way to Disneyland.

SleepyFC1

The Minister of Truth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you think about what a spoiler is supposed to do aerodynamically you'd want it secured to your car, so it doesn't fly off behind you and kill that family in the minivan on their way to Disneyland.
Wow, dramatic much? No Civic Touring will ever be moving fast enough for a lip spoiler to produce downforce. Sheesh.

OP, so long as you have adhesive (3M tape or otherwise) where the holes meet the underside of the lip spoiler, it should be fine.
Sponsored