Proud New Owner

Wizerud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mini Clubman S All4
That's because reviewers don't have to live with them for the next three years and all that may entail.
Sponsored

spexicola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
That's because reviewers don't have to live with them for the next three years and all that may entail.
I have 3 friends with Golfs, 2 of them are GTIs. They all say the same thing. "I love it, but I wish it didn't break so much."

I'm 40k miles in on my 2016 Touring, and have had one infotainment flash update, and a few interior rattles. I'll take that over what they get to deal with any day.

geoken2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch sport
Country flag
The next 3 years aren't the issue. It's mostly going to be the 3 or 4 years after that.

With that said, the reviewers job is to review the car as they see it. Speculating on reliability, potential resale value and other factors that shouldn't really figure in. People will weigh the importance of those factors on their own, I would hate a review on stuff like driving dynamics and performance to be influenced something like reliability because that might not be important to me.

geoken2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch sport
Country flag
I have 3 friends with Golfs, 2 of them are GTIs. They all say the same thing. "I love it, but I wish it didn't break so much."

I'm 40k miles in on my 2016 Touring, and have had one infotainment flash update, and a few interior rattles. I'll take that over what they get to deal with any day.
But for people who don't mind working on their car, even a slight performance bump might be worth the trouble. That's why the review should be independent of that stuff. The review should only talk about performance then people can come to their own decisions about whether or not the hassle of worse reliability is worth whatever performance difference (if any).

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
I have 3 friends with Golfs, 2 of them are GTIs. They all say the same thing. "I love it, but I wish it didn't break so much.".
Are any of them newer than a MKV? The MKVI after 2012 has been very reliable from what i have seen in my area. Many DD with high miles and no significant issues. The early 2.0TSI (2009-2012) had some issues with the BPV and the ignition coils after you tuned them beyond stage 1. Audi R8 coils are cheap ($20) and an aftermarket BPV (or the metal replacement) would cure the boost leak.

I'm not saying that it is more reliable than a Honda, but i'm also dont think that a new GTI (MKVII) is less reliable than the average car.

Wizerud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mini Clubman S All4
To be fair, I have heard similar things about the GTI - that it's their other models that drag VWs overall reliability down. On a three year lease it would be a great proposition as I'm sure insofar as power and interior quality goes, I'd have no complaints.

CDM 98 ITR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Si HFP
From experience I would suggest test driving the SI's handling and gear shift points/turbo lag. Biggest 2 things I'll think you'll want to consider. I truly miss my SI shifting. I am starting to get a hang of the shifting and even the turbo lag. I miss that the SI hardly lugged in 5th and 6th gear. You truly had to be going slow. The gears are also much taller on the GTI. I've just got used to it. Basically have to downshift 1 lower gear than the other gen. One would have to assume that the gearing would be very similar since Honda has gotten away from basically the motorcycle gearing and RPM's. I'm eager to hear impressions of how well the new SI handles and if there is a noticeable difference between the active dampers. Definitely test drive the new SI and try and soak in as much as you can. If you're coming from a 9th gen there are definitely going to be a few things you miss. But the biggest disparity that nags me is truly how well Honda executes the driving experience, especially with manual transmissions. Aside from all the little positives and negatives outside the driving experience, at the end of the day it is how well the steering, shifting, gearing and suspension that make the car. Also another factor to consider is I really wish VW offered DCC in the SE trim still. I could care less about all the other stuff like nav and other 'luxuries' that Honda fans usually aren't used to. I basically paid a $4200 premium for DCC. is it worth it? Can't answer that yet because the car out drives the capabilities of the OEM pirellis. Will that change after I get Michelin's? I'm 99% sure it will. And one more important thing that will probably be a deciding factor is EPA ratings. 32mpg SI combined vs 28mpg GTI combined. Having a hard time getting that and I haven't drove like my typical speed demon self. My other SI was 28 combined and I usually got 28-29mpg. So far I've been getting 25-27. Actually just shy of 27. And I've been driving like a wannabe hyper miler. Honda definitely has the rep for getting actual rated MPG and often times does better. Rated at 32mpg combined I'm quite sure people will get that ±1mpg for sure. Also quite sure peeps will be getting 35MPG easily. In VW's defense though, my commute changed about 2 mo that before I got it. Highway on the way in and city driving on the way home. My MPG was 27-28mpg after the change in my SI. I still got closer to 28 or better though. Wasn't surprised that Honda brought out a sporty compact that gets better MPG than many a base car. One more thing in VW's defense is the more research I do I still in awe of how easy it is to work on the Golf. Even more so if you have access to a lift. I could probably do 80% of minor fixes on my own without a lift and access to a driveway. That # probably jumps to 95% if you have access to a lift and are mechanically inclined. I've rarely had to work on a Honda but going from my long time mecbanic's comments, he does the work on Honda/Acuras often but says a lot of stuff is a pain the ass. Just something to consider. I am actually kind of envious. Kind of wish I had waited to see how the SI drives. Something tells me it will still drive well aside from turbo lag so the turbo lag part is a wash. Still loving the hell out of my Autobahn. The interior is awesome. I just sound dampened all 4 of my door and isolated the subwoofer. The sound went from top tier for an OEM sound system to low tier on an aftermarket custom install. But disregard that. Definitely check the steering, brakes, suspension and shifting. I'm biased towards the Honda being among the top of top tier transmissions paired with daily driving.

Thanks for the rundown!

With regards to the shifting on the GTI, I'm actually leaning towards the DSG (gasp! I know). I'm commuting 3 hours per day in rush hour traffic ... my clutch foot has had enough. Although I'd look past that fact if the Si turned out to be too good to turn away.

I'm in the 2013 Si HFP right now, and before that I've owned 6 Hondas ranging from swapped hatches with a multitude of engines, a 98 Integra Type R (#0864), and a JDM K20A swapped EP3. I track all my cars 4-5 times each summer and that will still be the plan moving forward with either the Si or the GTI (would need some good rubber for the GTI). Although with my commute, I'm finding more and more reasons to go with the GTI for the refinement in ride. The 9th gen Si has been a great car, and the HFP suspension and PSS tires made it work on track. However, the seating position is terrible, I can't fit in the seat with a helmet, and the way the gearing is at my local track I'd need another 500-600 RPM to not be smashing up against the rev limiter in a bunch of places where it doesn't make sense to shift due to braking points. If the chassis on the new Si and dynamic suspension can iron out some of the sloppiness in the current gen, and they've addressed the seating position, I'll give it a good hard look. I like the styling and I'm eager to see what kind of jam we can extract from the new powerplant.

My dealer is saying their allotment is showing up next week, so I'll give it a good thrashing when I can!

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
My dealer is saying their allotment is showing up next week, so I'll give it a good thrashing when I can!
This was mentioned in another thread. Though it may be possible, I can't fathom a dealer allowing a test drive on an Si. Or multiple test drives. Those miles will add up and there's no way I'm purchasing a 60-80+ mile Si as I know what those miles mean. (thrashing)

IF the Si's arrive on dealer lots like most other Civics, the car will have less than 5 miles. I've seen some with .9 miles. That is what I'd look for. I've purchased many new cars over the years and none had as low miles as Honda Civics. (I assume the rest of the lineup is the same?) Even my factor orders. There are tons of people on this board and elsewhere that don't need a test drive to purchase one.

Not saying it won't happen, but if I owned a dealership, there's no way I'd allow it. You buy then drive. Will be interesting to see what they allow with this one.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Yeah being "fresh off the truck" is one of my must-have requirements when I do buy this baby, which is within 2 months from today.

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Yeah being "fresh off the truck" is one of my must-have requirements when I do buy this baby, which is within 2 months from today.
Yes buying a new car is a very nice experience in and of itself. Getting one off the truck is even sweeter if you can swing it. When I ordered my Mustang, I got a call at 9AM on a Saturday from the salesman. He said "get your ass down here if you want to watch it come off the truck. I can't hold it on there much longer." Hungover as hell I got my ass up and was able to make it in time! 1.3 miles on the odometer!

Almost as equal was my 2003 Cobra. They had a few on the lot but most in the 30-40 mile range. Pretty low, but the salesman admitted they were all test driven. I asked if he had anything else coming in and low and behold in the back were 2 just delivered with all of the plastic. Never driven except off the truck and parked. We did a full once over and I took it home plastic and all with nothing removed! Once I got it home I couldn't believe how much plastic was on there! Took a while to get it all off but worth it!

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Yes buying a new car is a very nice experience in and of itself. Getting one off the truck is even sweeter if you can swing it. When I ordered my Mustang, I got a call at 9AM on a Saturday from the salesman. He said "get your ass down here if you want to watch it come off the truck. I can't hold it on there much longer." Hungover as hell I got my ass up and was able to make it in time! 1.3 miles on the odometer!

Almost as equal was my 2003 Cobra. They had a few on the lot but most in the 30-40 mile range. Pretty low, but the salesman admitted they were all test driven. I asked if he had anything else coming in and low and behold in the back were 2 just delivered with all of the plastic. Never driven except off the truck and parked. We did a full once over and I took it home plastic and all with nothing removed! Once I got it home I couldn't believe how much plastic was on there! Took a while to get it all off but worth it!
Nice! Never saw one actually off the truck; that was one hell of a cool sales guy you got there...

My last one had 3 miles (I saw the plastic but let them remove it -- that's a bit too much excitement and "purity" for me, to be removing it myself... :))

Last edited:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
A thousand years ago, I bought a new '91 Camaro that was en route from a dealer a few hours away. While I was waiting for it arrive later that day, I drove by a Pontiac dealer where an all-new '92 Grand Am sitting on the top level of a transport truck caught my eye. I canceled the Camaro - the dealer got upset and actually told me to never come back (which I didn't). I then drove down to the Pontiac dealer and bought the Grand Am right off the truck. That was the only other vehicle I remember buying right off the truck aside from my current Ridgeline.

CDM 98 ITR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Si HFP
This was mentioned in another thread. Though it may be possible, I can't fathom a dealer allowing a test drive on an Si. Or multiple test drives. Those miles will add up and there's no way I'm purchasing a 60-80+ mile Si as I know what those miles mean. (thrashing)

IF the Si's arrive on dealer lots like most other Civics, the car will have less than 5 miles. I've seen some with .9 miles. That is what I'd look for. I've purchased many new cars over the years and none had as low miles as Honda Civics. (I assume the rest of the lineup is the same?) Even my factor orders. There are tons of people on this board and elsewhere that don't need a test drive to purchase one.

Not saying it won't happen, but if I owned a dealership, there's no way I'd allow it. You buy then drive. Will be interesting to see what they allow with this one.
I can see them having a "buy it, than drive it" policy with the Type R, but I honestly can't see it with the Si. For instance, when I bought my current Si HFP, I test drove it 3 separate times on a beautiful winding road with elevation changes, hairpins, etc. and definitely had the car at redline a bunch and put some heat into the tires and brakes. End of the day, if I'm not (within reason, of course) able to test drive the car in situations that I'm going to want to put it in, than they don't get my money. I need to see if the car fits me or not. My dealer gave me a long leash and closed the sale easily. Hell, when I drove the GTI the other day the salesman let me take out a Golf R afterwards to compare and had no issue with me beating on it for a while.

Again, I'm not really concerned about having some test drive miles on the car when I buy it new. It's going to see way worse in my possession anyways. Plus, I had to dealer trade to get the color I wanted so it was inevitable the car would come with some miles anyways. I'm sure some of you aren't on the same page as me with this, but you're very much in your right to that opinion too!

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
Interesting conversation. I am the type who needs a test drive to see if I want to commit to a purchase. From an 8th gen to a 9th gen, it was not as risky to jump in without a test drive. I have only driven N/A engines and love them. I just don't know how the driving experience will be with a turbo. I need to feel it for myself, but I certainly do NOT abuse it during a test drive as some of you presume happens. :)
Sponsored