RuLEoF2

Liberty or Death!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
Hi,

Can anyone suggest how I might be able to find out the production number or ration of Energy Green Coupes to all the other colors?

I need to demonstrate the rarity of the color for an insurance claim.

Thanks!
Sponsored

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
Hi,

Can anyone suggest how I might be able to find out the production number or ration of Energy Green Coupes to all the other colors?

I need to demonstrate the rarity of the color for an insurance claim.

Thanks!

Contact Honda. See if they are willing to give you the info. I'm guessing your luck will be limited, but you might indeed get lucky.

Personally, I don't think color is going to be particularly relevant to an insurance claim, unless it has something to do with a certain color being more expensive to repaint.

We're not talking a rare, classic car when we're talking a current body style Civic. A Civic is a mass produced economy car that is in current production. Some colors are more or less common than others, but not to the degree to affect value significantly. Rare does not automatically equal valuable. A Ford Tempo is rare in my area, and worthless, for example.

You can order or find on a lot another EG Civic today. Hence, no inherent value in that or any other color. It might take a smidge more effort to track one down, or you might wait a bit longer to get one, but that doesn't have any intrinsic value from an insurance perspective. Did you pay a higher insurance premium to cover this rare paint job in the event of a loss? If you want the company to pay out a higher number based on color, expect them to charge more to insure said colors. I mean, live by the sword, die by the sword, as they say.

Color might matter if you are talking about a rare, limited production collector car from 50 years ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2

Liberty or Death!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
Contact Honda. See if they are willing to give you the info. I'm guessing your luck will be limited, but you might indeed get lucky.

Personally, I don't think color is going to be particularly relevant to an insurance claim, unless it has something to do with a certain color being more expensive to repaint.

We're not talking a rare, classic car when we're talking a current body style Civic. A Civic is a mass produced economy car that is in current production. Some colors are more or less common than others, but not to the degree to affect value significantly. Rare does not automatically equal valuable. A Ford Tempo is rare in my area, and worthless, for example.

You can order or find on a lot another EG Civic today. Hence, no inherent value in that or any other color. It might take a smidge more effort to track one down, or you might wait a bit longer to get one, but that doesn't have any intrinsic value from an insurance perspective. Did you pay a higher insurance premium to cover this rare paint job in the event of a loss? If you want the company to pay out a higher number based on color, expect them to charge more to insure said colors. I mean, live by the sword, die by the sword, as they say.

Color might matter if you are talking about a rare, limited production collector car from 50 years ago.
All good points.

Yes, this color was very expensive to repair. The dealer shop I took it to painted it at least twice (probably more) and still couldn't get it 100%. They said that due to the nature of the paint, materials available and the post-factory facility and repair process, a perfect match was impossible. It's damn close but not factory. With this color, any deviation in hue or the metallic effect is immediately noticeable.

Personally, I would have picked a different color but it's my wife's car and she HAD to have it. Six weeks later she gets hit. What a f***ing nightmare. It was in the shop for nearly a month in all. Even my wife is regretting her choice... but just a little.

I'm trying to sell this as a "limited production" color which could work depending on EG production numbers over other colors. I have no idea what those numbers might be but they had to get ours form Canada. My wife and I drive over 100 miles a day combined spanning three counties and so far we've only seen two other EG Civics. It may not matter in the end but it's good data to support my claim.

Is there an email address I can send the request to? I could only find their 800 number and postal address.

Thanks.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your car.

This is exactly why odd or special colors make me nervous. It is very difficult to get them matched 100% in the event of an accident.

When I first saw the EG Civic, two things occurred to me. First, it was a really cool color. Second, it would be a nightmare to repair.

I don't believe there is an email address for Honda CS. You can get them on Twitter, though. Probably as likely to get a response there as email. I'd just call them, probably.

I'm guessing your answer is going to be "sorry, we don't have that information" or something of the sort. Someone at Honda has access to arcane information such as how many EG Civic coupes were made in a certain trim level, but it's probably not someone that anyone at CS has access to. This assumes Honda does not consider it proprietary information that isn't made public.

I'm guessing the only way you could legitimately substantiate that your color is "limited" is if Honda set a hard cap on production, and you could prove this. Dealers can probably order as many EG cars as they want. It's probably more a matter of low demand for such a vibrant color, instead of low supply. If there were an unlimited supply of EG cars, would they sell? Probably not. If Honda built 10x the current number, I'm guessing they would sell the same number. Such a "loud" color appeals to a very narrow part of the buyer population.

When I was a sales manager at a car dealership, as often as not, a color like EG would be a minus when it came to trade in value. If we had a silver coupe on the lot, easy to sell. White, easy to sell. A lot harder, arguably, to sell the same car in EG. You have to have a very specific buyer, probably a one percenter. More often than not, in the used market, a polarizing color is a negative. Given my experience in the business, I would argue that EG would be more of a minus than a plus. Used cars are all about turning the inventory. You don't want a car that appeals to a narrow slice of the population that might sit on the lot longer. Now, if you're talking a Civic Type R or a Lamborghini, things change a bit.

Twitter:

https://twitter.com/hondacustsvc?lang=en

One angle you might be able to work. If the body shop is unable to repaint your car to an acceptable match due to the unusual color, you might be able to push for a total repaint. A mismatched car is not making you whole again, the goal of insurance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2

Liberty or Death!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your car.

This is exactly why odd or special colors make me nervous. It is very difficult to get them matched 100% in the event of an accident.

When I first saw the EG Civic, two things occurred to me. First, it was a really cool color. Second, it would be a nightmare to repair.

I don't believe there is an email address for Honda CS. You can get them on Twitter, though. Probably as likely to get a response there as email. I'd just call them, probably.

I'm guessing your answer is going to be "sorry, we don't have that information" or something of the sort. Someone at Honda has access to arcane information such as how many EG Civic coupes were made in a certain trim level, but it's probably not someone that anyone at CS has access to. This assumes Honda does not consider it proprietary information that isn't made public.

I'm guessing the only way you could legitimately substantiate that your color is "limited" is if Honda set a hard cap on production, and you could prove this. Dealers can probably order as many EG cars as they want. It's probably more a matter of low demand for such a vibrant color, instead of low supply. If there were an unlimited supply of EG cars, would they sell? Probably not. If Honda built 10x the current number, I'm guessing they would sell the same number. Such a "loud" color appeals to a very narrow part of the buyer population.

When I was a sales manager at a car dealership, as often as not, a color like EG would be a minus when it came to trade in value. If we had a silver coupe on the lot, easy to sell. White, easy to sell. A lot harder, arguably, to sell the same car in EG. You have to have a very specific buyer, probably a one percenter. More often than not, in the used market, a polarizing color is a negative. Given my experience in the business, I would argue that EG would be more of a minus than a plus. Used cars are all about turning the inventory. You don't want a car that appeals to a narrow slice of the population that might sit on the lot longer. Now, if you're talking a Civic Type R or a Lamborghini, things change a bit.

Twitter:

https://twitter.com/hondacustsvc?lang=en

One angle you might be able to work. If the body shop is unable to repaint your car to an acceptable match due to the unusual color, you might be able to push for a total repaint. A mismatched car is not making you whole again, the goal of insurance.

Again, great feedback. Thank you very much for taking the time to offer your valuable insight.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Again, great feedback. Thank you very much for taking the time to offer your valuable insight.

I'm just being the devil's advocate. Good luck with your insurance battle, hope it works out for you.

I haven't had enough coffee yet, either, so am probably being more of a curmudgeon than usual. :)
Sponsored