1.5T PRL Motorsports Civic X 1.5T Product Development

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any updates on the CVT Cooler. I know you guys said you were going to see how removing the stock warmer would affect the car, but I notice the cvt cooler is now available on your website
ive been tracking that for awhile. i think since last month i saw it on the site but no pricing.
Sponsored

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Ask and you shall receive! Data, dyno numbers and sound clips from our Cobra Cold Air Intake system is finally here! We will be offer Si and Non-Si specific systems!

DSCN0899_zpszvcd0ryc.jpg

DSCN0898_zps1a0xw6rg.jpg

DSCN0882_zpsbvykltze.jpg

DSCN0872_zpsxa3ot4xx.jpg

2017 Honda Civic Si w/ Stock ECU Mapping (Not Tuned Whatsoever)
  • PRL Motorsports Catted Downpipe / Front - Pipe Combo
  • PRL Motorsports Prototype Intercooler
  • PRL Motorsports Prototype Cobra Cold Air Intake System (Street MAF Housing)
What's important to note here is that these numbers are in comparison to our previous dyno session where the car had the same exact modifications except with our Stage 1 intake system instead of our cold air so we didn't have to put everything back to stock.

We made sure all conditions were identical for testing (ie 55% knock control value, ~180 degree coolant temps, similar ambient temps, etc) and this is what we came up with.
Civic%20X%20S1%20Intake%20Vs%20CAI_zpsczkz1bqq.jpg

~5 horsepower and torque gains throughout almost the entire powerband in comparison to our Stage 1 intake system. This means 9 - 14 horsepower and torque gains throughout the entire powerband over the factory intake. No these aren't crazy marketing ploy gains, these are honest, tried and true gains that every person can expect to see by simply installing this intake system on his or her 1.5L Turbo Civic without a tune. It's important to note that the car was making 1-2 less pounds of boost throughout the midrange, hence why torque gains were minimal down low during peak torque. These cars are very sensitive with knock control and how it controls timing/boost.

We found the MAF curve to be extremely stable, identical in response to the factory intake. This will be our first cold air intake system ever to not require any tuning whatsoever. Customers can expect greater gains once the boost is turned up and components are pushed to their max. Once we find the limit of the Street MAF we will test our Race MAF

Civic%20X%20Stock%20vs%20CAI_zpsjpqawfu0.jpg

Here is a comparing our 10th Gen Si when it was stock to everything that has been modified now. Very impressive results for no tuning whatsoever! Next comes the fun part... Tuning with @KTuner!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but installing a CAI w/o a tune, wouldn't that make the car run lean?

CStew81

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Ask and you shall receive! Data, dyno numbers and sound clips from our Cobra Cold Air Intake system is finally here! We will be offer Si and Non-Si specific systems!

DSCN0899_zpszvcd0ryc.jpg

DSCN0898_zps1a0xw6rg.jpg

DSCN0882_zpsbvykltze.jpg

DSCN0872_zpsxa3ot4xx.jpg

2017 Honda Civic Si w/ Stock ECU Mapping (Not Tuned Whatsoever)
  • PRL Motorsports Catted Downpipe / Front - Pipe Combo
  • PRL Motorsports Prototype Intercooler
  • PRL Motorsports Prototype Cobra Cold Air Intake System (Street MAF Housing)
What's important to note here is that these numbers are in comparison to our previous dyno session where the car had the same exact modifications except with our Stage 1 intake system instead of our cold air so we didn't have to put everything back to stock.

We made sure all conditions were identical for testing (ie 55% knock control value, ~180 degree coolant temps, similar ambient temps, etc) and this is what we came up with.
Civic%20X%20S1%20Intake%20Vs%20CAI_zpsczkz1bqq.jpg

~5 horsepower and torque gains throughout almost the entire powerband in comparison to our Stage 1 intake system. This means 9 - 14 horsepower and torque gains throughout the entire powerband over the factory intake. No these aren't crazy marketing ploy gains, these are honest, tried and true gains that every person can expect to see by simply installing this intake system on his or her 1.5L Turbo Civic without a tune. It's important to note that the car was making 1-2 less pounds of boost throughout the midrange, hence why torque gains were minimal down low during peak torque. These cars are very sensitive with knock control and how it controls timing/boost.

We found the MAF curve to be extremely stable, identical in response to the factory intake. This will be our first cold air intake system ever to not require any tuning whatsoever. Customers can expect greater gains once the boost is turned up and components are pushed to their max. Once we find the limit of the Street MAF we will test our Race MAF

Civic%20X%20Stock%20vs%20CAI_zpsjpqawfu0.jpg

Here is a comparing our 10th Gen Si when it was stock to everything that has been modified now. Very impressive results for no tuning whatsoever! Next comes the fun part... Tuning with @KTuner!

Sorry if I've missed this if answered before, but would I be able to run the CAI in SRI format?

KramVT0215

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2008 Acura TL
Country flag
PRL has stated this is the first intake they have developed that does not require a tune and is a true bolt on upgrade! This cannot be used as an SRI but they are looking into developing one at some point for the 10thgens. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but installing a CAI w/o a tune, wouldn't that make the car run lean?
In most cases this is somewhat true, or at least the fact fuel trims are thrown off due to altered MAF sensor readings. However, we 3D scanned the factory MAF housing with our FARO Arm to replicate and manipulate these dimensions. In doing so, our billet aluminum Street MAF housing is designed identical to the factory intake's MAF housing in an effort to provide stock-like driveability and safety. In testing, datalogs have showed that our Street MAF housing lives up to the expectations, meaning no tuning required! Long Term and Short Term Fuel Trims showed to be as stable and even smoother at times than the factory intake system.

Sorry if I've missed this if answered before, but would I be able to run the CAI in SRI format?
At this time it does not. :(

PRL has stated this is the first intake they have developed that does not require a tune and is a true bolt on upgrade! This cannot be used as an SRI but they are looking into developing one at some point for the 10thgens. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here.
:agree:

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
In most cases this is somewhat true, or at least the fact fuel trims are thrown off due to altered MAF sensor readings. However, we 3D scanned the factory MAF housing with our FARO Arm to replicate and manipulate these dimensions. In doing so, our billet aluminum Street MAF housing is designed identical to the factory intake's MAF housing in an effort to provide stock-like driveability and safety. In testing, datalogs have showed that our Street MAF housing lives up to the expectations, meaning no tuning required! Long Term and Short Term Fuel Trims showed to be as stable and even smoother at times than the factory intake system.
Oh, so it has to do with the MAF housing that results in not needing a tune, and has nothing to do with the increase in air volume? I never installed a CAI before because of the very reason of messing w/ the air fuel ratio, so my questions and concerns maybe a bit elementary.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
Oh, so it has to do with the MAF housing that results in not needing a tune, and has nothing to do with the increase in air volume? I never installed a CAI before because of the very reason of messing w/ the air fuel ratio, so my questions and concerns maybe a bit elementary.
You are correct that it CAN change a cars A/F but its usually so small that it's not needed to worry about in any way. A MAF size change, and possibly a relocation CAN require a tune. I have seen a 3rd Gen Taurus SHO loose 12WHP on a dyno just because the stock MAF was put in upside down by accident. Once the MAF was rotated back around everything was just fine again.

If they are supplying a stock sized MAF that sits in a location tested to be fine with their intake design then everything should be just fine.

Hatchback_lifestyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (VERY SOON)
Country flag
I am too lazy to rip off my bumper to install a cai. Guess I'll either get a mishi, injen or wait for prl to develop a sri for the 1.5t

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
No need to pull bumper. Got my old airbox/resonator setup out and Cai in with only pulling fender liner back and a few bolts out of the belly pan

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I am too lazy to rip off my bumper to install a cai. Guess I'll either get a mishi, injen or wait for prl to develop a sri for the 1.5t
Prl knows this platform makes no power with a short ram intake, so I don't think they plan on making one, they have the stage 1 filter tube combo or the upcoming cobra stage 2 cold air intake. Short ram intakes are for the kiddos, gotta have that turbo whistle. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That would be mostly correct. Our Street MAF housing is sized/placed as close to stock as possible so that the voltage reading do not throw off AFRs. There is a nice little writeup on page 1 with how MAF sensors, intakes and air volume work. :)

You are correct that it CAN change a cars A/F but its usually so small that it's not needed to worry about in any way. A MAF size change, and possibly a relocation CAN require a tune. I have seen a 3rd Gen Taurus SHO loose 12WHP on a dyno just because the stock MAF was put in upside down by accident. Once the MAF was rotated back around everything was just fine again.

If they are supplying a stock sized MAF that sits in a location tested to be fine with their intake design then everything should be just fine.
MAF systems can be VERY finnicky. We have seen strange behavior such as driveability blips and AFR spikes/dips due to changed MAF housing size and placement.

This can be installed without taking off the bumper. :)

No need to pull bumper. Got my old airbox/resonator setup out and Cai in with only pulling fender liner back and a few bolts out of the belly pan
:goodpost:

Prl knows this platform makes no power with a short ram intake, so I don't think they plan on making one, they have the stage 1 filter tube combo or the upcoming cobra stage 2 cold air intake. Short ram intakes are for the kiddos, gotta have that turbo whistle. :thumbsup:
We have tossed around the idea of doing a short ram, but see no reason for doing so with the results of our Stage 1 and CAI systems. If you bang-for-the-buck gains, go with our Stage 1. If you want all-out performance and a sweet "whoooosh" sound, we have our CAI. :)

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Last week we had the chance to do a little back-to-back, real world testing with our stock 2017 Civic Type-R vs 2017 Civic Si with PRL Motorsports Catted Downpipe / Front Pipe Combo, PRL Motorsports FMIC Kit, PRL Motorsports Cobra Cold Air Intake (Street) and KTuner V2 Basemap.

Both runs from 55mph roll. We did these runs multiple times with the same result(s). The modified Si beat the stock Type-R numerous times from a dig (launch race). This 1.5L Turbo in the Civic Si is an animal down low with immediate torque/turbo response while the 2.0L Turbo in the Type-R shines surprisingly well up top when given the chance to rev. We expect the Type-R to be a monster after we begin modifying it with PRL goodies and work with KTuner. We also expect MUCH more from our Si as we begin playing around with ECU tuning.

I know, somebody is going to say, "Who races from 55mph in 4th gear?" This was purely to show the instantaneous passing power and torque of this little 1.5L Turbo in comparison to its bigger 2.0L Turbo brother. Both cars are very impressive in their own way.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
New product releases!

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Civic X 1.5T Product Development Charge%20Pipe%20Black%20Full%20kit_zps815h50hi

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Civic X 1.5T Product Development Charge%20pipe%2090%20three%20colors_zpshapmkue6

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Civic X 1.5T Product Development 3%20colors%20charge%20pipe%20long_zpsk7xa2ykx

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports Civic X 1.5T Product Development 3%20colors%20ribbed%20charge%20pipe_zpsx8jmj6yb

Replace your stock, boring, rubber charge pipe hoses with our bright and exciting 4-ply silicone hoses. Not only does this kit improve engine bay aesthetics, our 4-ply reinforced couplers increase strength and durability by better withstanding the high heat of the engine bay.

Our stock location charge pipe hose upgrade kit for the 1.5L Turbo Honda Civic fits both Si and Non-Si models.

Kit Includes:

• (1) Throttle Body Inlet Hose
  • (1) Hot Side Charge Pipe Hose
  • (1) Cold Side Charge Pipe Hose
  • Stainless Steel Compression Rings
  • Stainless Steel Breeze Liner Clamps
Hoses available in our signature black/blue PRL Motorsports design, red and neon green!

AND

Coolant%20Kit%20Black%20Full%20Kit_zpsiuyvpbzb.jpg

Replace your stock, boring, rubber coolant hoses with our bright and exciting 4-ply silicone hoses. Not only does this kit improve engine bay aesthetics, our 4-ply reinforced couplers increase strength and durability by better withstanding the high heat of the engine bay.

Our stock location charge pipe hose upgrade kit for the 1.5L Turbo Honda Civic fits both Si and Non-Si models.

Kit Includes:
  • (1) Upper Radiator Hose
  • (1) Lower Radiator Hose A
  • (1) Lower Radiator Hose B
  • (3) Cold Side Charge Pipe Hose
  • Stainless Steel Breeze Liner Clamps
Hoses available in our signature black/blue PRL Motorsports design, red and neon green!