Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Say hello to our shop Civic Si's big brother! We will be using this Civic Type-R for R&D to help push this 2.0T platform as far as possible with our PRL Motorsports product line. Stay tuned!

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017 Civic Type-R Product Devlopment DSC_0688_zpsccipc4af
Sponsored

SaiHayashi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FN2R NHB 2008; NA8 MX-5 turbo 2013; LandRover Discovery 2016; FK8R CW 2017
Country flag
So, what's on the radar? A general direction would be nice, for example would you guys be keen to work on dump pipe?

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Say hello to our shop Civic Si's big brother! We will be using this Civic Type-R for R&D to help push this 2.0T platform as far as possible with our PRL Motorsports product line. Stay tuned!

DSC_0688_zpsccipc4af.jpg
Please work on a tune for this car: tune + downpipe: Gold! In addition to, I see you guys got the car with the color matched side moldings, have you got side additional pics?

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So, what's on the radar? A general direction would be nice, for example would you guys be keen to work on dump pipe?
Please work on a tune for this car: tune + downpipe: Gold! In addition to, I see you guys got the car with the color matched side moldings, have you got side additional pics?
We actually took the moldings off, it was a dealer option that we didn't want (because we now have a vinyl down the side) We will be mosting additional pictures shortly. :)

As for plans, we are currently working on developing a high-flow drop-in air filter and silicone intake hose like we did for the 1.5T platform. We are also getting ready to begin R&D on a downpipe system and FMIC kit. Oh and to follow PRL tradition, there will most-likely be a big turbo kit! There might be a few other things we come up with too, but right now these areas are of main focus.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Well we're in the same state at least... I'll try to stop in next time I get out that way!

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well we're in the same state at least... I'll try to stop in next time I get out that way!
Come on out!

We ended up doing some baseline pulls on our CTR. The Type-R is much more consistent with dyno pulls than its little brother 1.5L turbo in the Si/Non-Sis. This car put down an average of 291 whp and 301 tq with a best of 292 whp and 303 tq stock. Not too shabby.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017 Civic Type-R Product Devlopment Stock%20Civic%20Type-R_zpsmbkijih

We had had some material laying around, so we decided to fab up a front pipe for starters and see if there were any gains...

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017 Civic Type-R Product Devlopment Civic%20Type-R%20Front%20Pipe%202_zpsqu7oca3m

Every hit showed positive power gains! Sadly, our first pass (the coolest pass) which should've showed the highest reading number didn't save.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017 Civic Type-R Product Devlopment Civic%20Type-R%20Front%20Pipe_zps5u263m7z

We saw gains from 4500 - 6900 RPM with our 3" front pipe and a max of 12 whp. There weren't any recordable torque gains, though it's interesting to note that the torque numbers seem to be a bit sporadic on these cars. This piece weighs a bit over 2 lbs less than the factory A-pipe as well.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 2017 Civic Type-R Product Devlopment DSCN0052_zps1clvwrv

These pieces are now on pre-order and are expected to ship by mid-October! Stay tuned for downpipe R&D

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We see many problems to address with the Type R! Over the weekend we road raced the car at our local track Pitt Race a 2.8 miles in length with 19 corners track outside of Pittsburgh. We ran into many Factory issues we cannot wait to resolve! The car has great Potenitial, however out of the box 100% stock it is a bit disapointing. After three laps the car started to over heat, not just the coolant temps but the oil temps as well which reduces the power output dramatically and causes the car to go into limp mode. We also ran the car in VSA on and VSA off, VSA off seemed to have a speed limiter at 108 which was 10mph slower than VSA on. However our car running VSA off ran its fastest lap times, with increased corner exit speeds of over 5mph every corner with a top speed reduction on each straight away by 10mph. This just shows the potential the car has once the tuning software becomes availiable to have full power with VSA off! The car also drives like a car should with VSA off and gives us hope that it can become a track monster! We are in contact now with Honda about the over heating issues, thankfully there was no damage done as we re dynoed the car monday and put down the same power stock vs stock prior.

zcEF

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Do you have any clips of the sound from the rear of the car? I checked the one out on the dyno, it sounded nice but I couldn't really hear too much. Honestly I haven't really looked under the car yet, does this pipe delete a cat? And is this a bolt on or a weld on pipe?

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
It's a beautiful looking pipe and I've shared some of your 1.5T goodies with some of my non-R friends

Hopefully they'll send some business your way.
Sponsored