Prl cobra cold air

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
So without that other stuff ...probably only a few hp?
As shown on the dyno graph, less torque and hp is produced up to 3,250 rpm. Peak power is up by 4.98 hp, and maximum torque is down by 2.01 ft-lbs, although torque and hp is up at higher rpm's with significant gains of up to 9~14 hp from 3,800 to 5,800 rpm.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Awesome! Thank you for the clarification. I was just unsure if those dyno charts had the front pipe/down pipe installed, but I'm understanding now how you are getting the 9-14 numbers now.

So basically?

Stock = 185hp

Stage 1 intake, FP/DP, FMIC = 215hp

Cobra intake, FP/DP, FMIC = 220hp

So I'm assuming that the FP/DP and FMIC combo will yield somewhere around 25hp gain with the stage 1 giving around 5hp. And since Cobra is 5hp more than stage 1, then that means 10hp over stock (in a general sense).

Can't wait can't wait!!

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The lower "Cobra" hoses is now a 2 piece design which utilizes HDPE rotomolding on the bottom for better consistency and fitment, so there are now more components involved as well.
Was this the change that you guys made at the last minute?

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
So without that other stuff ...probably only a few hp?
I would not agree with that statement.

As shown on the dyno graph, less torque and hp is produced up to 3,250 rpm. Peak power is up by 4.98 hp, and maximum torque is down by 2.01 ft-lbs, although torque and hp is up at higher rpm's with significant gains of up to 9~14 hp from 3,800 to 5,800 rpm.
Correct. This "lost" power below ~3250 rpm is only because knock control value makes it difficult at times to replicate runs. For whatever reason the car wanted to make about 1-2 psi less boost below ~3250 rpm once the CAI was installed in comparison to the Stage 1 runs. The fact that the car really didn't show much of a power loss running 1-2 less psi showed us that the intake system still picked up efficiency.

Awesome! Thank you for the clarification. I was just unsure if those dyno charts had the front pipe/down pipe installed, but I'm understanding now how you are getting the 9-14 numbers now.

So basically?

Stock = 185hp

Stage 1 intake, FP/DP, FMIC = 215hp

Cobra intake, FP/DP, FMIC = 220hp

So I'm assuming that the FP/DP and FMIC combo will yield somewhere around 25hp gain with the stage 1 giving around 5hp. And since Cobra is 5hp more than stage 1, then that means 10hp over stock (in a general sense).

Can't wait can't wait!!
Precisely! Not bad for an economy car with basic bolt-ons!

Was this the change that you guys made at the last minute?
Yes, once we tried getting the original lower silicone hoses into production we realized that it was extremely difficult to offer a consisten product due to the complexity of the piece. It was also a bit of a tight fit. Now the lower section is made out of HDPE and slides into the filter and silicone. We also implemented threaded inserts for an additional bracket piece.

Curtman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
adfdsfdsf
Vehicle Showcase
Where does the filter end up with this set up? Is it behind the fog light?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only color option is black. Updated pictures will be taken shortly to avoid confusion.

I hope nobody in their right mind would pay "$400 for a piece of pipe and an air filter," or "just plastic." However, $399.99 (currently only $319.99) for an intake system that utilized FARO Arm 3D scanning technology to introduce an intake system that offers stock-like driveability, notable power gains without any tuning whatsoever and fits virtually any 1.5T Civic is not out of line by any means. Not to mention the vast amount of machine work that goes into the billet aluminum MAF housing with velocity stack that is quite possibly one of the nicest machined MAF housings on the market. Take a look at the going rate for a similar (if you can even). All silicone hoses were 3D scanned and custom designed for optimal fitment and durability. These mold-fees and production costs are not cheap. The lower "Cobra" hoses is now a 2 piece design which utilizes HDPE rotomolding on the bottom for better consistency and fitment, so there are now more components involved as well.

DSCN0543_zpsk1kmduy0.jpg

DSCN0546_zpslrjixkuw.jpg

I guess what we're trying to get at is that proper R&D is not cheap and our goal isn't to offer a "cheap" product. Our goal is to offer the best products we can at a fair price. We feel that our price is right on par with past CAI systems such as our 9th Gen Civic kit that is a hot-seller to this very day. It blows our minds that people have no problem purchasing other intake systems for not much less money that literally are only one or two pieces of tubing and a filter.

Thank you! :) Correct, on the multiple hose options. We want to be able to package a product that we don't have to worry about accidentally mis-packaging due to overlooking one of the many options that there are.

And yes, 4-ply silicone hose, as well as HDPE rotomolded pieces will have better heat transfer properties than the standard aluminum.

;)

Thank you for that! :thumbsup: There's a reason we simply didn't introduce a generic intake system and dump it onto the market as fast as possible. There's a reason our intake is like no other on the market. There's a reason we took what felt like forever! :lol:

Because we already had our Stage 1 Intake system installed, we did not reinstall the factory intake for baseline numbers again. Our baseline and Stage 1 numbers were tried and true, so CAI gain numbers were what we saw from the Stage 1 Intake system PLUS the gains we saw from our CAI over the Stage 1 Intake system.
Come on guys, you have to remember that most people who buy a Honda like to buy cheap ass EBAY parts and think that anything over $100 is too expensive for an aftermarket part. Just peruse some of the threads on here. I have a good laugh at people buying cheap crap every day. Hell I just went back and looked at the intake options for my old 8th gen and they are all between $250-$400.

Rockstar08

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI and 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4X4
Country flag

Correct. This "lost" power below ~3250 rpm is only because knock control value makes it difficult at times to replicate runs. For whatever reason the car wanted to make about 1-2 psi less boost below ~3250 rpm once the CAI was installed in comparison to the Stage 1 runs. The fact that the car really didn't show much of a power loss running 1-2 less psi showed us that the intake system still picked up efficiency.

Ok I am seriously considering a CAI and doing just a tune for more power and the sound of the intake. I will not be doing an exhaust or DP or anything else. SO my question is since you have no idea why the car is pulling boost are you going to be able to give us before and after dyno numbers with your new CAI using a Hondata tune or Ktuner to see what numbers your CAI will make? I would love to see you tune the car and get numbers tuned and then add your CAI and update the tune to see how much your CAI specifically makes on a tuned car if that makes since? Hopefully that will solve the issue of the car making the 1-2 psi less as you have said below 3250 rpm?? Thanks

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports any idea if you will have an upgrade available later to get a race maf housing if we get the street to begin with?
Yes, both MAFs will be available for purchase separately.

Ok I am seriously considering a CAI and doing just a tune for more power and the sound of the intake. I will not be doing an exhaust or DP or anything else. SO my question is since you have no idea why the car is pulling boost are you going to be able to give us before and after dyno numbers with your new CAI using a Hondata tune or Ktuner to see what numbers your CAI will make? I would love to see you tune the car and get numbers tuned and then add your CAI and update the tune to see how much your CAI specifically makes on a tuned car if that makes since? Hopefully that will solve the issue of the car making the 1-2 psi less as you have said below 3250 rpm?? Thanks
Boost was being pulled because of knock control value.

The car made 265 hp and 315 tq yesterday on e30/e25 blend fuel at ~25 psi boost.

Rockstar08

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI and 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4X4
Country flag
Yes I found your thread in a different forum thanks. So I know that you guys added your dp and other components. Do you know how much your new CAI added by itself on your tuned car once you added just that part, just curious? Thanks, Tom

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They already mentioned that their stage 1 system is sufficient for those who do not want a CAI. Having a short ram on this motor will create only noise, but also result in heat soak that ultimately reduces power.
Sponsored

Last edited: