Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
I am about to pre order my cobra cold air and before I do it, I have one question.. they have an option where I choice street or race, can someone tell me the difference please thank you!

http://prlmotorsports.com/civicxcoldairintake.aspx#.Wa8hD0EpCEe

The street MAF is designed to replicate the factory MAF housing, meaning that no tune is required and that it will be plenty for the average bolt-on car. The Race MAF is 50% larger than the factory MAF housing and is intended for full bolt-on guys who are maxing the stock MAF housing out. A larger MAF housing will be a necessity once turbo upgrades become available. :)

alexavalos097

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2014 Honda Accord Couple
Vehicle Showcase
i couldn't wait and just got my injen intake dam im amazed and the sound is wow i can hear that turbo spool

alexavalos097

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2014 Honda Accord Couple
Vehicle Showcase

Bankerbalt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI sedan, 2008 Cobalt
I dont know how anyone can justify 400 for a piece of pipe and an air filter

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports

Is the only color option that neon green?
They will be black. I believe the pipes or MAF sensor will be anodized black as well.

Because their intake system caters to so many types, it won't make financial sense for them to make different colored hoses. They have a street and race MAF which will both require different sized hoses and on top of that they have systems for both the Si and non-si models which would be different as well. So that means 3 colors for 12 different combinations.

tbh i saw it and all that plastic didn't seem my 400 worth i think at the end of the day they all give about the same results , but i will give it to them for the intercooler i sure will wait for that.
"This intake system will be constructed of muti-ply high-quality silicone hose, utilize our standard PRL Motorsports oiled air filters and stainless steel hardware. The thermal properties of the silicone are more desirable for this application, especially considering how the intake system is routed."

I too wondered why PRL used plastic/silicone vs metal like the ones Injen uses. Don't know much so hope someone can chime in on these differences (and if it's true).

Edit:

I researched a little bit and it does seem like the consensus is that silicone (made properly 4+ ply) can possibly be better at insulating heat compared to aluminum. I also read another interesting tidbit that it is possible that metal based intake pipes can send vibrations which could in turn affect the MAF sensor readings to the ECU. But the general consensus is that the differences should honestly be negligible.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/#/topics/207431?page=4

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e...in/525580-metal-vs-silicone-intake-tubes.html

Also, PRL Cobra is $320 not $400 right now. Which is only $20 more expensive than the Injen one on Procivic.

Last edited:

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
i couldn't wait and just got my injen intake dam im amazed and the sound is wow i can hear that turbo spool
I would have waited, money would have been well spent going the Prl route.
It's below 400, also Prl uses 3D printing and graphic design to make their products. They are well thought out, and do real world testing, don't inflate their gains, and they won't make mass produced garbage, like some of the competitors.;)

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The fact that a relatively small speed shop does their due diligence to thoroughly test and share results of their products before they even go on sale, makes a difference to me. I'm fortunate to live only about an hour from @PRL Motorsports and it's clear that they aren't in the business of selling mass produced products, but develop products that make the most of what you get from Honda, or any other manufacturer. Nothing against other manufacturers of aftermarket products, but that is a huge difference. Companies like Injen and AFE are in the market of making as many products that fit the general mold and selling as many as they can as quickly as they can, as opposed to more individualized service and support. It goes back to the old adage "you get what you pay for".

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Is there any noticable gain from one of these ?
I'm a little confused with the numbers that were posted as well. @PRL Motorsports if you can elaborate more please.

From what I read in PRL's post is that the Cobra intake will see gains of 9-14 hp, but this is where I am a little confused.

I believe the specs that were listed was with the Down Pipe/Front Pipe + Intercooler + Cobra Intake...

So I wasn't sure at this point if PRL adjusted their numbers and that it was the intake system ALONE that is gaining 9-14 HP or if it's the intake + the FP/DP/Intercooler together that = 9-14 HP.

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports

Is the only color option that neon green?
The only color option is black. Updated pictures will be taken shortly to avoid confusion.

I hope nobody in their right mind would pay "$400 for a piece of pipe and an air filter," or "just plastic." However, $399.99 (currently only $319.99) for an intake system that utilized FARO Arm 3D scanning technology to introduce an intake system that offers stock-like driveability, notable power gains without any tuning whatsoever and fits virtually any 1.5T Civic is not out of line by any means. Not to mention the vast amount of machine work that goes into the billet aluminum MAF housing with velocity stack that is quite possibly one of the nicest machined MAF housings on the market. Take a look at the going rate for a similar (if you can even). All silicone hoses were 3D scanned and custom designed for optimal fitment and durability. These mold-fees and production costs are not cheap. The lower "Cobra" hoses is now a 2 piece design which utilizes HDPE rotomolding on the bottom for better consistency and fitment, so there are now more components involved as well.

Honda Civic 10th gen Prl cobra cold air DSCN0543_zpsk1kmduy0

Honda Civic 10th gen Prl cobra cold air DSCN0546_zpslrjixkuw

I guess what we're trying to get at is that proper R&D is not cheap and our goal isn't to offer a "cheap" product. Our goal is to offer the best products we can at a fair price. We feel that our price is right on par with past CAI systems such as our 9th Gen Civic kit that is a hot-seller to this very day. It blows our minds that people have no problem purchasing other intake systems for not much less money that literally are only one or two pieces of tubing and a filter.

They will be black. I believe the pipes or MAF sensor will be anodized black as well.

Because their intake system caters to so many types, it won't make financial sense for them to make different colored hoses. They have a street and race MAF which will both require different sized hoses and on top of that they have systems for both the Si and non-si models which would be different as well. So that means 3 colors for 12 different combinations.

"This intake system will be constructed of muti-ply high-quality silicone hose, utilize our standard PRL Motorsports oiled air filters and stainless steel hardware. The thermal properties of the silicone are more desirable for this application, especially considering how the intake system is routed."

I too wondered why PRL used plastic/silicone vs metal like the ones Injen uses. Don't know much so hope someone can chime in on these differences (and if it's true).

Edit:

I researched a little bit and it does seem like the consensus is that silicone (made properly 4+ ply) can possibly be better at insulating heat compared to aluminum. I also read another interesting tidbit that it is possible that metal based intake pipes can send vibrations which could in turn affect the MAF sensor readings to the ECU. But the general consensus is that the differences should honestly be negligible.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/#/topics/207431?page=4

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e...in/525580-metal-vs-silicone-intake-tubes.html

Also, PRL Cobra is $320 not $400 right now. Which is only $20 more expensive than the Injen one on Procivic.
Thank you! :) Correct, on the multiple hose options. We want to be able to package a product that we don't have to worry about accidentally mis-packaging due to overlooking one of the many options that there are.

And yes, 4-ply silicone hose, as well as HDPE rotomolded pieces will have better heat transfer properties than the standard aluminum.

I would have waited, money would have been well spent going the Prl route.

It's below 400, also Prl uses 3D printing and graphic design to make their products. They are well thought out, and do real world testing, don't inflate their gains, and they won't make mass produced garbage, like some of the competitors.;)
;)

The fact that a relatively small speed shop does their due diligence to thoroughly test and share results of their products before they even go on sale, makes a difference to me. I'm fortunate to live only about an hour from @PRL Motorsports and it's clear that they aren't in the business of selling mass produced products, but develop products that make the most of what you get from Honda, or any other manufacturer. Nothing against other manufacturers of aftermarket products, but that is a huge difference. Companies like Injen and AFE are in the market of making as many products that fit the general mold and selling as many as they can as quickly as they can, as opposed to more individualized service and support. It goes back to the old adage "you get what you pay for".
Thank you for that! :thumbsup: There's a reason we simply didn't introduce a generic intake system and dump it onto the market as fast as possible. There's a reason our intake is like no other on the market. There's a reason we took what felt like forever! :lol:

I'm a little confused with the numbers that were posted as well. @PRL Motorsports if you can elaborate more please.

From what I read in PRL's post is that the Cobra intake will see gains of 9-14 hp, but this is where I am a little confused.

I believe the specs that were listed was with the Down Pipe/Front Pipe + Intercooler + Cobra Intake...

So I wasn't sure at this point if PRL adjusted their numbers and that it was the intake system ALONE that is gaining 9-14 HP or if it's the intake + the FP/DP/Intercooler together that = 9-14 HP.
Because we already had our Stage 1 Intake system installed, we did not reinstall the factory intake for baseline numbers again. Our baseline and Stage 1 numbers were tried and true, so CAI gain numbers were what we saw from the Stage 1 Intake system PLUS the gains we saw from our CAI over the Stage 1 Intake system.