Premium fuel

OP
OP
Draken187

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Higher octane does in fact burn slower btw. That's why it's less prone to knock. Especially in higher compression ratios. But why I was responding before because someone was posting that it does state on fuel door to use premium fuel on sport models and that poster said that it could be a more aggressive timing curve resulting in the need of higher octane. I confirmed sport models have the same compression ratios.
I agree. With both of you. Burns slower is just to simplified a way to explain it
Sponsored

midengine driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport , 2019 Buick Encore AWD, Sold 3800SC Fiero had a few Fieros
Country flag
Higher octane does in fact burn slower btw. That's why it's less prone to knock. Especially in higher compression ratios. But why I was responding before because someone was posting that it does state on fuel door to use premium fuel on sport models and that poster said that it could be a more aggressive timing curve resulting in the need of higher octane. I confirmed sport models have the same compression ratios.
Would not the fact that you are using a forced induction which causes heat be the real reason for Premium? My Supercharged Fiero engine needed premium because of this fact.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Would not the fact that you are using a forced induction which causes heat be the real reason for Premium? My Supercharged Fiero engine needed premium because of this fact.
Well like I was saying the manufacture does know what's best for the car. My 1.5 turbo sedan only states regular. So that's what I use except a few times here and there I will throw premium at it. Otherwise if you use premium at every fill in my case I will be wasting money. I also stated before my Audi required premium and that's what I gave her until the day I sold it.

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
My last fill was with Shell 93 E10 ... and I could feel no difference. Had me doubting my prior conviction. Just filled with Conoco 91 E0 and boom, ... back to the higher torque feel I had with my last tank of 91 (several tanks ago).

So, I no longer trust that particular shell station (it was pretty rough, stab&grab, 1/2 the pumps were out of order), ... but I do trust that (real) 91 offers better performance (torque for sure, and probably horsepower) with the 1.5t.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
light a bonfire with a gallon or two of 87 and then 91 you'll clearly understand the difference.

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I. Put premium in my tank..bwas down to 6 miles to go and wasnt sure how far til the mext gas station and they were out of regular.. So i filled it with premium. Not thinking about it i drove home.. 30 min backroads and 20 min highway.. The car "felt" "stronger" similar situation with my accord i did not feel any difference.. Once i got home i looked at my fuel economy.. 44.7mpg on a 22 degrees Fahrenheit day.. Wow.. Normally i get about 35mpg on that drive...

Thoughts? Experience? Gonna measure and do the math on next fill up.. But wow.... Seriously...
I only use premium I think car runs better JMO who knows

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
Higher octane burns slower or just more resistant to igniting? Once ignited isn't the energy released the same?

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Higher octane burns slower or just more resistant to igniting? Once ignited isn't the energy released the same?
correct, more resistant to igniting is the reason people say it "burns slower" lol

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
It's not like it burns slower like candle wax. It just means the gas will ignite from the spark plug and not from cylinder pressure, which is what you want. People should stop saying that higher octane loses power. lol

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
Well like I was saying the manufacture does know what's best for the car. My 1.5 turbo sedan only states regular. ....
It doesn't "only state regular" ...

The owner's manual says:
"Fuel recommendation: Unleaded gasoline, pump octane number 87 or higher"

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It doesn't "only state regular" ...

The owner's manual says:
"Fuel recommendation: Unleaded gasoline, pump octane number 87 or higher"
U serious. Yeah ok your right. That's usually the case btw when regular 87 is 'recommended'. I didn't mean 'only'. Troll

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
U serious. Yeah ok your right. That's usually the case btw when regular 87 is 'recommended'. I didn't mean 'only'. Troll
didn't come off as troll to me, you literally said "only" it was deceiving, we thought you meant the manual recommends only 87 as you stated. not worth a heated debate. I wouldn't escalate to him being a troll, we're all on the same page here.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
Its just a grammar thing... "It states to only run regular" means something different from "it only states to run regular"... Easy to write the one that you don't mean to.

midengine driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport , 2019 Buick Encore AWD, Sold 3800SC Fiero had a few Fieros
Country flag
Interesting because the Hatchback Sport recommends Premium. Which i run in it.

Last edited: