Premium fuel

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
Most engineers exposed to the public are told what to say by marketing, if they don't understand that they'll find one who does.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Draken187

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Most engineers exposed to the public are told what to say by marketing, if they don't understand that they'll find one who does.
As most people will think omg i better put high octane in there.. Gotta be better since it costs more

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
I do, even though I don't notice much cause every tip differs.

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
Trust me, I need to pay the extra $$ for my BMW F30 (328i). I love filling up with regular in my '16 Coupe.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All I know is that I saw a video last year that featured a Honda engineer (yes, from Japan), who said the engine was designed to run on 87 and that going with 91/93/94 wouldn't make any difference.

Sorry, but I tend to side with the professional from Honda here.
watch it again, he says it wouldn't make a noticeable difference. which 5-7hp really isn't a noticeable difference.

*actually he said "not such a big benefit" to be exact

edit #2 he also recommended just regular standard Honda oil over synthetic, just to show how much they stick to the product they are marketing.

Last edited:

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
All I know is that I saw a video last year that featured a Honda engineer (yes, from Japan), who said the engine was designed to run on 87 and that going with 91/93/94 wouldn't make any difference.

Sorry, but I tend to side with the professional from Honda here.
Not such a big benefit means they didn't want to let the cat outa the bag. It's 2016 guys. Almost new every car today benefits from high octane in some way. Not saying run it. It is awesome the 1.5T runs on 87 too.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
So, is there a clear consensus here ? Is there a benefit to running on premium in a 4L NA ? If it advances the timing significantly, then the answer must be yes.

midengine driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport , 2019 Buick Encore AWD, Sold 3800SC Fiero had a few Fieros
Country flag
On the sport fuel door it says premium recommended. In the manual it says the same. They wouldn't go to the trouble of mentioning it many times if it didn't work. WITH the turbo. NOW Stop and think. Hmmm when under full acceleration the air is being forced in (turbo or supercharger), there is some heat involved. If that were not so then why did Honda go to the added ($$$$- takes away from profit) expense of putting a intercooler on the car? The higher octane keeps the spark knock down, thus more efficiency and power. When I was selling GM vehicles and GM would recommend Premium fuel, you knew there was a reason for it! Rest assured when Honda published the higher horsepower for the Sport you know it was based on 93 octane and not 87. I use Shell Premium. I did on my 3800 Supercharged engine, and now on the Honda Sport. I read on a classic car site that the older cars run better as Shell supposedly doesn't use ethanol in their Premium.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Placebo on how it felt. Higher octane prevents knocking. It doesn't make your car faster/stronger.

The highly qualified engineers at Honda designed it to run on 87 Octane.

Don't waste your money on anything other than 87.
Agreed 100%. Lol. I do once in awhile will run it maybe 1 in 10 or 15 tanks I will fill with Shell V-Power for the cleaning effect of injectors and combustion chambers. (does it work?). Who knows but I like to think so. It's only a one in 10 or 15 tanks I do this so doesn't hurt the wallet. And never get that low as the one poster did. Fuel pump needs fluid to keep cool and lubricated. You go that low it will shorten the life of the pump.
Oh and I have just a regular 2016 Touring. If the new 'sport' model of this car says to use the 'premium'. Then yes. Use premium.
I had an Audi and the higher compression engines needed this higher octane as it burns 'slower'. So I don't know if anyone has the compression ratios for the 'sport' model to the regular touring. Maybe they have a higher compression ratio that is why the higher octane is recommended for the 'Sport'.

Last edited:

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
Didn't read everything before posting, delete.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Very probable it has a more aggresive timing.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Very probable it has a more aggresive timing.
Yes advancing timing a bit you will want a 'slower' burning fuel. But I am interested as to see if they changed compression ratios. But yes I will agree if they changed the timing curve. Yes a higher octane will be needed.

Lol. Just checked. Same.....10.6. On both sport and regular Touring

sfdchonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Yes advancing timing a bit you will want a 'slower' burning fuel. But I am interested as to see if they changed compression ratios. But yes I will agree if they changed the timing curve. Yes a higher octane will be needed.

Lol. Just checked. Same.....10.6. On both sport and regular Touring
Hey this is my first post! So I am sorry if I am resurrecting an old thread or if I should start a new one.

In my opinion I wanted to believe that the 87 octane was just as good and that 92 octane offered no performance enhancements, but in my opinion, the 92 octane was more fun to drive.

Use Case #1 ) Acceleration from a dead stop at a light seems to give a little extra "pop" and sound of the engine is more aggressive. This is in normal Drive mode, not Sport.

Use Case #2 ) Merging onto a highway from a low speed of 5-10 mph to 50 mph seems like I'm able to accellerate faster. Pushing the gas pedal with 92 seems to offer more acceleration without having to press the gas pedal as much as with 87 gas.

From the other posts, it seems that I should be using Shell or Chevron (no Chevron stations in my area) or some other Top Tier gas. I've been using Wawa, but intend to switch to Shell.

Am I crazy or is this a placebo effect? Is this the "timing" being adjusted so that I notice better performance?

Thanks!

UPDATE: I'm driving a 2017 Honda Civic EX-T sedan (4-dr Sedan w/ 1.5 turbo)

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey this is my first post! So I am sorry if I am resurrecting an old thread or if I should start a new one.

In my opinion I wanted to believe that the 87 octane was just as good and that 92 octane offered no performance enhancements, but in my opinion, the 92 octane was more fun to drive.

Use Case #1 ) Acceleration from a dead stop at a light seems to give a little extra "pop" and sound of the engine is more aggressive. This is in normal Drive mode, not Sport.

Use Case #2 ) Merging onto a highway from a low speed of 5-10 mph to 50 mph seems like I'm able to accellerate faster. Pushing the gas pedal with 92 seems to offer more acceleration without having to press the gas pedal as much as with 87 gas.

From the other posts, it seems that I should be using Shell or Chevron (no Chevron stations in my area) or some other Top Tier gas. I've been using Wawa, but intend to switch to Shell.

Am I crazy or is this a placebo effect? Is this the "timing" being adjusted so that I notice better performance?

Thanks!

UPDATE: I'm driving a 2017 Honda Civic EX-T sedan (4-dr Sedan w/ 1.5 turbo)
per Hondata, any alteration to the ignition timing can have a big effect because it is very close to TDC, however when you run higher octane, the ecu continues to fight with its pre determined tables and it will limit boost. that's why it's best to get a custom tune for your car so you can fully take advantage of the higher octane. (also...from the post you quoted by @Farcry1010... octane doesn't actually burn any slower or faster however it can be more knock prone or resistant.) higher octane = knock resistance= more timing.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
per Hondata, any alteration to the ignition timing can have a big effect because it is very close to TDC, however when you run higher octane, the ecu continues to fight with its pre determined tables and it will limit boost. that's why it's best to get a custom tune for your car so you can fully take advantage of the higher octane. (also...from the post you quoted by @Farcry1010... octane doesn't actually burn any slower or faster however it can be more knock prone or resistant.) higher octane = knock resistance= more timing.
Higher octane does in fact burn slower btw. That's why it's less prone to knock. Especially in higher compression ratios. But why I was responding before because someone was posting that it does state on fuel door to use premium fuel on sport models and that poster said that it could be a more aggressive timing curve resulting in the need of higher octane. I confirmed sport models have the same compression ratios.
Sponsored