Potential for future upgrades of backup camera?

pwschuh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed
Country flag
Several people have mentioned about the poor quality of the video from the back-up camera. Although I haven't had time to look, it seems that the actual camera module on the trunk is propably easily removed for repair and/or replacement. That leads to the obvious question about the potential for someone offering an upgraded camera. Given that the factory unit is likely only a few dollars worth of parts, it seems to me that there might be a market for, say, a $50 unit that gave much better picture quality and was a plug-in replacement. Obviously the dashboard screen resolution is also a limiting factor, and I don't know what that is, especially for the 5" unit on the LX.
Sponsored

haztorks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 MSM EX-T
I bet it's the 5" screen on the LX as much as anything. The resolution that is displayed could be more limited by the OS than the camera on all these models, because I don't think any of them are showing what the full resolution of the camera is seeing.

On the EX and above, the image quality is fine, unless its raining. I haven't heard any car reviewers mention the poor resolution or anything, so I assume it's par for the course in the industry. Not much experience with these, admittedly.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Aside from poorer performance in the dark, what would higher resolution make possible? How would it improve the safety of backing up? I just don't see the need. I'm probably missing something here.

haztorks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 MSM EX-T
If you want to fix the rain issue than put a little drop of aquapel or similar on the lense - water will readily bead off. Worked perfectly for me.
Great tip! Thanks!

I assume rain-x would work, too.

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
Yes, the low resolution on the backup camera is on purpose, just like the lane watch camera. If you go to a super high resolution then the sensor pixels do not get near as much light and you get horrible performance. You can fix this by leaving the "shutter" open longer to let in more light but then it will blur badly. (this is why cameras and phones take bad photos in low light, they are either very grainy, or very blurry or both!) You do not want a blurry image when you are trying to back up and use the camera or use it for lane changes!

That is why you use a lower resolution sensor for a blur free image when possible and get the resolution as good as you can. The real fix is to use a huge sensor, anyone want a 2 or 3 inch hole on the back of the car for a camera lens? No?

I work on cameras, specifically sweat the details in low light situations and I think the cameras in the cars are wonderful for what they are!

Anekin007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
The wifey has the 16 pilot and the camera is a little better. It's more clear, sharp, and smooth. The low light is not good as the civic tho. The civic is blurry, color over saturated, and the lane watch has a studder(low frame rate?). The reverse doesn't bother me too much as your going slower and the low light really helps out when reversing. On the pilot it's dark compared to the civic. I find it more important that the lane watch to have a better quality camera.

jhaze84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I spent about 6 months with a 2015 Fit before getting my Civic. The Fit also has a backup camera and a Lanewatch camera. I've found that the Civic cameras do not perform as well, which is odd because the Fit is a cheaper car. The resolution is the same, but low-light contrast and video performance (frames-per-second) is worse. The Civic cameras display noticeably darker and laggier. It's a little disappointing, but overall a minor gripe because the cameras function well enough for their intended purpose.

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I see some people putting in LED lights in place of the backup lights. Do these give off more light when backing up? Maybe those will help the camera get better light at night.

OP
OP

pwschuh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed
Country flag
dick w said:
Aside from poorer performance in the dark, what would higher resolution make possible?
Nothing. I'm looking for better visibility at night mostly.

If you go to a super high resolution then the sensor pixels do not get near as much light and you get horrible performance. ... The real fix is to use a huge sensor, anyone want a 2 or 3 inch hole on the back of the car for a camera lens? No?
An over-reaction. I don't recall mentioning a "super high resolution" picture. Just an upgrade over what I have now. Since the camera appears to be an attachment on the outside of the trunk, there is no reason the size of the hole would have to change, since it may only serve as a mount and a wiring access.

OP
OP

pwschuh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed
Country flag
Better Visibility at night would mean a lower resolution camera to be able to pick up more lig
Staying at about the same price point, yes. That's why I said I would be willing to pay somewhat of a premium to get a camera that was a little optimized for both light and resolution. It's not rocket science.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm happy with the camera and the Touring screen. For me it's an additional tool used to enhanse the basic use of mirrors and turning my head.

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (MSM/BLK)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd love to see an aftermarket or sourced Honda part that would give the backup and lane watch camera's the contrast and low-light performance that my 2013 Accord has.
Sponsored