Post pictures of your subwoofer set up!

3seven1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I really want to get a subwoofer in my Civic EX. After going to a few places around town, i've found one place that will make a custom insert for my truck and a couple of other places that will put a small box or a big box in the truck. I'm interested in seeing other set ups in a car like mine so I can get some ideas. I like the smaller boxes i've seen that can easily be unplugged and removed as needed but i think it would be even better to have a box that blends in better.
Sponsored

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
i was pondering either a rear deck sub or enclosed. while in fry's i saw a boss 10" sealed, not amplified sub for 49 smackers. checked amazon for cheap subs and found for behind the seat 10 inch is as big as you can go. the frys price was good so i picked it up. it fits behind the front seat like a glove. a pic won't show much basically fills the space behind the front seat to the level of the the rear seat bottom. sound is great. but not as good as a 12" could be. for a rear passenger just fold down the rear seat throw it in there close it up and there you are no need to disconnect. don't know how the sound is with it in the trunk, have not tried it there yet. this cheap ass sub fills in the bass of all types of music even to the really bass heavy stuff. so anyway a sub behind the drivers seat is a excelent location sound wise. if the thread keeps going i'll add a pic or 2. And the best pass through for power to an amp was just behind the battery stuck a 4 gauge thru there, nice big soft rubber grommet.

OP
OP

3seven1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I'd like to do a rear deck sub but I wonder how much work it would be to reduce any rattling that would occur. I'm sure that solution is available in a different thread. How about putting subwoofers under both front seats?

I'm starting to think I could do the installation myself and save tons of money on those high labor costs.

=OrionX=

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring, 2017 CR-V EX AWD
Country flag
My Touring has a stock subwoofer, but I've been seriously considering a simple upgrade to something more substantial. The all-in-one amplified JL Audio MicroSubs look promising, simple to install, small in footprint, and transferable to future vehicles. From what I've read, they are seriously powerful, solid, great sounding subs. www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-subwoofer-systems-amplified-microsub

As far as the rattle question, any time you introduce significant low frequency tremors through a vehicle you're going to get rattles. In the case of the 10th Gen Civic Sedan, the space between the rear deck and the rear window is very tight, so it doesn't take much to flex that deck smack into the windshield with every wave of high pressure, low frequency sound. There are some good threads on how to isolate that vibration through things like Dynamat, etc. I found that, with the stock sub, using silicone dampers about the size of peas spaced evenly across the rear deck where it is closest to the glass works fairly well. No telling if this setup will work with the much more powerful JL MicroSub putting out very hard hitting bass, though...

OP
OP

3seven1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I'm starting to look into that same subwoofer you linked to. I went to an audio shop a couple of weekends ago and they said that would be a good option. It was just about $1,000 for the sub and installation, which also included a knob to adjust the bass installed where i can access it while driving. Thank you for the tip on the rattling, i'll look into that too after I get it all hooked up.

Last edited:

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
i gots not rattles in mine. don't know if its the deadner i put 0
n the rear deck or screwing down the speakers.

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
I bought an Alpine PWE-S8, but have yet to install it. I had a few criteria - first, it must be light (alpine was 10 lbs all inclusive). Second, I'm looking for sound quality to complete the lower end, not the head rattling bass. Third, I'm not willing to sacrifice the trunk space, so it must fit under the front seat. I came up with two, the Alpine and Kicker 11HS8.

The kicker glued some aluminum to the cone to lower the resonance frequency...that kind of turned me off, albeit that the Alpine is probably not much different.

The aforementioned JL may not fit under the seat height wise (you have maybe 5") and width wise, you will have to install it lengthwise and it would protrude behind the seat. So that's a no-go despite that you would probably get near head shaking bass sound with quality.

If I want to sacrifice the trunk, I have a lot of options. TC Sounds is my favorite, but hard to find these days.

For LX, the rear deck sub area was never cut out, so it's not possible to just add a rear deck sub without cutting into the metal.

To add, the alpine fits and you won't even see it under the seat.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
head rattling bass comes from speakers not being able to go low enough. i know i will replace the cheapo sub at some point, as there is much detail missing. those who have not heard don't really know. ever hear a pipe organ at 20hz? bass is nothing new. even though you can't really hear it, you know its there and when its not.
Sponsored