Post delivery drive home... Painters tape?

capitalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR - #1643
Saw a few do this... Trying to protect black paint on front end for 200 mile trip home... until I can get film bra on...

Anybody done this before? Any tip on brand or type?
Sponsored

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
Just keep your distance form the vehicle in front of you and you should be fine. Won't tape leave swirls once you take it off?

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r , s2000 , delsol & soon to be a NSX
Country flag
Bugs will be fine as long as u wash them off immediately when u get home .. it would be rock chips I'd be worried about. The blue or yellow painters tape works great.

youCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1292 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I posted about this in another thread but I plan to use blue tape. I told my dealer not to remove the exterior protective coatings and to not clean the car. I'll be bringing some waterless quick detail and towels to clean the areas that are not covered from factory before applying the painter's tape. Here's the tape that I got: ScotchBlue EXTERIOR Painter’s Tape

TypeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3 & Type R
Country flag
I posted about this in another thread but I plan to use blue tape. I told my dealer not to remove the exterior protective coatings and to not clean the car. I'll be bringing some waterless quick detail and towels to clean the areas that are not covered from factory before applying the painter's tape. Here's the tape that I got: ScotchBlue EXTERIOR Painter’s Tape
^ This.

Have them leave all of the protective film in place. Painters tape works as well if applied correctly.

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
This is what I would be doing and would do if I'm driving long distance upon delivery. Bring a bottle of Meguires or Turtle spray wax w/ some microfiber clothes and wax the whole car. Extra layer of immediate wax protection to the paint. If there's that blue protective film from the factory, leave it on. If not, blue painters tape the front end, including the area above the windshield. Remove tape immediately upon arrival of your destination. DO NOT leave tape on for prolong periods of time, especially black. I'm not sure what adhesive compound is used between the blue masking tape and the white masking tape, but I know for sure if you leave the white masking tape on your car for prolong time in the sun, the adhesive or some chemical in the tape etches into the clear coat. So, I wouldn't take a chance w/ the blue tape.

TypeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3 & Type R
Country flag
This is what I would be doing and would do if I'm driving long distance upon delivery. Bring a bottle of Meguires or Turtle spray wax w/ some microfiber clothes and wax the whole car. Extra layer of immediate wax protection to the paint. If there's that blue protective film from the factory, leave it on. If not, blue painters tape the front end, including the area above the windshield. Remove tape immediately upon arrival of your destination. DO NOT leave tape on for prolong periods of time, especially black. I'm not sure what adhesive compound is used between the blue masking tape and the white masking tape, but I know for sure if you leave the white masking tape on your car for prolong time in the sun, the adhesive or some chemical in the tape etches into the clear coat. So, I wouldn't take a chance w/ the blue tape.
White tape is terrible for automotive paint. Never use it.

I have completed multiple road trips in various cars over the years and have always had good experiences with the blue tape when it is applied correctly. I drove across the USA back in 2010 when I bought a 370Z. I covered the entire front of the car and wheel arches with tape. 1,500 miles and a few days later and the tape came off without any issue. No glue or anything was there. I put blue tape on the bumper/lip area of my M3 when I drove it home from Dallas a few months ago. Zero issues. White tape typically has a more aggressive chemical in it which isn't good for paint finishes. Some white tape sticks to concrete... that should tell you something right there. haha.

Blue is the way to go.

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is what I would be doing and would do if I'm driving long distance upon delivery. Bring a bottle of Meguires or Turtle spray wax w/ some microfiber clothes and wax the whole car. Extra layer of immediate wax protection to the paint.
I would not wax a car that is not completely clean. You're asking for swirl marks. The blue tape works great on the car and it will sufficient until they arrive home.

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree about black cars being a pain to take care of lol.

I think I read your post wrong though. I was thinking you were going to wax the car the moment you got the car. Like bringing the wax with you and doing it there. I would wash it and wax it first at home and then wax it.

youCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1292 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm not sure what adhesive compound is used between the blue masking tape and the white masking tape, but I know for sure if you leave the white masking tape on your car for prolong time in the sun, the adhesive or some chemical in the tape etches into the clear coat. So, I wouldn't take a chance w/ the blue tape.
This is why I got the exterior blue tape. It claims to hold in various weather conditions and promises to leave no residue even after being left in the sun for 7 days.

nyuofa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4, STI
I wouldn't stress the adhesive. It'll be minimal at best, nothing a little isopropyl alcohol won't get off.

And if you eventually plan on applying ppf, I wouldn't wax the car, as someone else suggested. Lots of crap is mostly likely all over the paint from the journey across the pond (spray Iron X on it, you'll be surprised). Because you'll then have to strip off the wax prior to the installer applying the film. I would do automotive painter's tape and be on your way.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
Yes! You bet your ass the car will be full of tape on the drive home lol.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
First day home from work in my days-old Si and a trailer in front of me decides to dump dozens of pieces of limestone rock in front of me. I swerved and braked to miss all I could, but still got a few 1mm "impressions" in the plastic that only I'm likely to ever notice. Brand new CR-V Touring last year and my brother's lawn mower chunked a rock right on a door crease. Intense PDR and touch-up paint hid it from casual view, but I was just sick over it.

I agree with the advice above - stay far behind leading traffic and stay to the right of oncoming traffic as much as possible.
Sponsored