Does this workaround work for you?

• Total voters

FusionTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
CarPlay has been a huge disappointment on the 2016 Civic. Same problem goes with Android Auto (with Nexus 5 on Marshmallow).

After trying all options that I could find on the web, I am hoping this workaround will stay working until the disconnect problem is fixed by Apple, Google, and / or Honda.

Setup: iPhone 6 Plus on iOS 10.1 beta, paired to a 2016 EX-T Sedan via USB for CarPlay. The car was delivered less than a week ago, but it shows a manufacturing date of June 2016 on the sticker (along w/ the VIN).

Tried: factory reset on the head unit; reboot iPhone; reboot the head unit by holding Audio on the screen; delete paired iPhone from CarPlay; delete paired car from iPhone; pair and unpair via Bluetooth; and a whole bunch of other things I could find on the web.

Possible Workaround:

1. Disconnect iPhone from the car via the USB port.

2. Remove all references to the iPhone on the head unit (i.e. delete the iPhone in Settings --> Smartphone --> Apple CardPlay).

3. Remove all references to the car on the iPhone (i.e. Settings --> General --> CarPlay --> Forget This Car).

4. Connect the iPhone to the car via the USB port for CarPlay.

5. The car should recognize within couple seconds that a phone has been connected and ask you if you want to enable it for CarPlay. DO NOT select Always Enable. Instead, select Enable Once.

6. After several seconds, the car should ask if you want to use the phone to make a call after an accident. Either On or Off is okay.

After you've completed all 6 steps, CarPlay should now be working.

Every time the phone is connected to the car, you will be prompted as described in step # 5. Always select Enable Once. This is the only thing you need to do when connecting your phone to the car, and so far this is the quickest way I've found to get CarPlay to work whenever the phone is connected to the car.

Somehow, at least for me, selecting Always Enable prevents the phone to be recognized upon re-connect.

Hopefully this works for others too. I'll report back if CarPlay stops working again.
Sponsored

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
When I get the "not compatible" message I unplug my phone (from the phone end) and replug it and it works.
I enjoy CarPlay I don't know why it gets so much hate. It's not perfect but it works well for me.

iPhone 6 running iOS 10
Build date Aug '16

Last edited:
OP
OP

FusionTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When I get the "not compatible" message I unplug my phone (from the phone end) and replug it and it works.
I enjoy CarPlay I don't know why it get so much hate. It's not perfect but it works well for me.

iPhone 6 running iOS 10
Build date Aug '16
Yep, CarPlay is one of the main reasons I went with the Civic instead of Mazda 3. But it gets very frustrating to reboot the head unit in the morning to go to work, reboot again when need to go somewhere, another reboot when it's time to go home... Pretty much a reboot is needed whenever I start the car.

Maybe ones with more recent manufacture date no longer have this problem. Hopefully this will be fixed via software updates from Apple and Honda in the near future.

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
There have been varying degrees of problem reports with CarPlay - including those who claim it is working flawlessly.

The two most common ones, if I am not mistaken, are:

1. The incompatible message, usually brought on my leaving your phone plugged in
  2. No device connected message, which seems to happen just about anytime.
#2 is the one I see most often and usually two minutes after connecting my iPhone. A complete restart of my phone only almost always takes care of it Alternately, if I restart my phone before I get it the car it typically works fine too. Annoying for sure but it works.

I realize there are other issues but these seem to be the two "big" ones.

So why isn't everyone experiencing both of these and why are there claims of flawless usage? One would think we are all in the same boat? For example...

• Does it effect those who ran any type of beta? (I used the public beta but am on 10.0.2 now)
  • Is it iPhone model dependent (I have a 6+)
  • Does it effect users of Apple Music only?
  • Does it only happen with certain model Civics (I have a Touring)
  • Is it a certain setting on someone's phone?
  • Does it only happen on Tuesdays?
What I find very strange about the problems I experience is that it happens after two minutes - not one minute or five minutes or XX minutes. That seems very mechanical to me as if something happens at two minutes that is crucial to the usage of CarPlay. But what?

I feel there has to be a pattern or commonality between those that are having problems and those that are not. Finding that will probably be challenging.

RC

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Sounds like it could be a simple cable issue. Try using a brand new "quality" cable (Apple approved) and see if the problems persist.

OP
OP

FusionTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've tried 3rd party cables (Anker) and Apple cables (one old and the other one brand new). Did not make any difference. What's frustrating is that exact same problem using Android Auto with a Nexus 5, running the latest version of Marshmallow.

Another strange thing is the Honda Link app on the iPhone launches automatically after the car recognizes the phone when the CarPlay logo shows up on the phone screen, but so far this had only happened twice.

As for the Enable Once workaround, after a day it's still working, so hopefully it stays working (knock on wood).

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Sounds like it could be a simple cable issue. Try using a brand new "quality" cable (Apple approved) and see if the problems persist.
Was hopeful it was a cable issue but it is definitely not a cable issue. Have tried several different ones including an Apple one.

RC

Dr. Arvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I had the same exact problem as the original poster. DO NOT update to 10.1 beta it destroyed carplay functionality. If you are running 10.1, the only way to get carplay to work is to select "enable once" each time you connect your phone. A better workaround is to downgrade to 10.0.2. My carplay now works flawlessly without any issues after disconnecting/powering off then reconnecting via the lightning cable. I have a 2016 honda EX. With 10.0.2, the "Always enable" feature works, in 10.1 there's some kind of bug with "always enable".

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
I had the same exact problem as the original poster. DO NOT update to 10.1 beta it destroyed carplay functionality. If you are running 10.1, the only way to get carplay to work is to select "enable once" each time you connect your phone. A better workaround is to downgrade to 10.0.2. My carplay now works flawlessly without any issues after disconnecting/powering off then reconnecting via the lightning cable. I have a 2016 honda EX. With 10.0.2, the "Always enable" feature works, in 10.1 there's some kind of bug with "always enable".
Same experience as this - running 10.0.2 on an iPhone 7. I've found that letting the head unit fully boot up (a few secs) before plugging in phone makes CarPlay work flawlessly.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Never had any problem with CarPlay, both iOS 9&10
Me neither. No issues here. I wonder if they're using Apple branded cables or other brand that states 'Apple Certified'. I'm sure they would have changed cables to diagnose though. I have no issues at all. And the best is the Maps now use TomTom! As a database. I always hated the Previous routing data base. So now I use CarPlay maps when I need GPS.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
that's why it's beta. Lol.

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
Well said. You'll get zero support if you're running unreleased software. I'd fall back to production if you can.

midiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Hopefully this works for others too. I'll report back if CarPlay stops working again.

Thanks, I will test this out. I have an open bug with Apple, and if this resolves, I will add it.

midiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
bummer, still disconnects after about 2 minutes. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Sponsored