Possible cvt issue?

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I've had my car about 2 days now and only 30 miles.
I've notice that when i'm rolling at a low speed (may occur at high speeds idk)
theres a shutter when gas is applied. for instance i was driving about 10 miles per hour
and someone infront of me made a turn when i hit the gas there was a shutter before the
cvt revs raised.

Also when at speed its smooth but if i hit the gas it kind of feels like an instant downshift and
brings the revs up but it feels jerky and clunky.

idk if i'm just not use to having a cvt or something is wrong? maybe i'm paranoid?

maybe you guys can help me out. thanks
Sponsored

haztorks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 MSM EX-T
So I've had my car about 2 days now and only 30 miles.
I've notice that when i'm rolling at a low speed (may occur at high speeds idk)
theres a shutter when gas is applied. for instance i was driving about 10 miles per hour
and someone infront of me made a turn when i hit the gas there was a shutter before the
cvt revs raised.
What is a "shutter" in this case? Is there a noticeable delay, a vibration, or what? There are folks on here who are wondering why the RPMs rise when you hit the gas (seriously wtf), so I have to ask simply for you to describe this in as much detail as possible. It could be completely normal.

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
That slight jerking you feel sounds extremely normal for a CVT. Keep in mind that there is a certain amount of slack in every gearbox, with CVT having amoung the highest (dog cut sequentials usually have the least). The easiest way to think about it liquid in a cup while driving. When at a standstill, the liquid is flat and centered. When accelerating, that liquid is pushed back, while under braking, the liquid is pushed forward. Drivertrains work in a similar manner with tolerances - everything from the crank to the torque converter to the differentials. When you go from a braking / coasting to an acceleration, you go from one extreme to the other, and that jerk you feel is the slack in the line being taken up. This transmission does have a bit of a rough "first gear." If you jam on the brakes from a moderate rate of speed you can feel the transmission catch up with the car in the form of a bit of a jerk as you come to a complete stop. If this was a traditional manual, it would indicate a problem with the gearbox, but given this is a CVT, it's fairly normal.

That said, if you feel it's excessive, stop by the dealership and have them look. Maybe take the demo for a test drive too to see how that reacts.

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is a "shutter" in this case? Is there a noticeable delay, a vibration, or what? There are folks on here who are wondering why the RPMs rise when you hit the gas (seriously wtf), so I have to ask simply for you to describe this in as much detail as possible. It could be completely normal.
i would say another way to describe it is somewhat jerky.
idk if i should break it in a little bit before i bring it in for anything?
doesn't feel extremely serious.
i'm more of a techy kind of guy not mechanical.

haztorks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 MSM EX-T
i would say another way to describe it is somewhat jerky.
idk if i should break it in a little bit before i bring it in for anything?
doesn't feel extremely serious.
i'm more of a techy kind of guy not mechanical.
Give it a few hundred miles and see. The system could need a little breaking in. The car will kick down pretty hard into another gear ratio if you give it some gas quickly, though. If you let off the gas and then get back on it right away, it can confuse the car, if you want to call it that. The engine is also rocking back and forth on its motor mounts, which can give a "thump" feeling. These CVTs overall seem to give the most pleasant experience with smooth inputs, even when needing to go wide open throttle...roll on the power.

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Give it a few hundred miles and see. The system could need a little breaking in. The car will kick down pretty hard into another gear ratio if you give it some gas quickly, though. If you let off the gas and then get back on it right away, it can confuse the car, if you want to call it that. The engine is also rocking back and forth on its motor mounts, which can give a "thump" feeling. These CVTs overall seem to give the most pleasant experience with smooth inputs, even when needing to go wide open throttle...roll on the power.
maybe i just need to learn how to modulate the throttle.
while i was rolling, another person looked like she was going to come right out
so i gave the peddle a quick punch and thats when it happen. my old car i would punch
it but a crappy downshift was expect from that haha.

thanks for your help.

HondaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
It should be "shudder" and not "shutter"!

Ikabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Accord Touring
Country flag
Yea that's what I meant.
What about the gasoline you're using? Could that be a source of problem? Not a tech here so sorry if I'm way off base. I only will use 93 octane Sunoco.

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm still on the gas that the dealership filled it with. So far I'm somewhat disappointed with the cvt. I watched a lot of reviews were they talk about how smooth the cvt is and I don't agree. I'm going to break it in and if it's still jerky and shuddery in going to bring it in.

I will be using bp top tier gas in the car.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
There should be no jerkiness. After reading these posts I took mine for a spin and everything is nice and smooth

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I only have like 90 miles.
I'm probably going to bring it because I don't think it's normal.

I wonder if i can drive another one and see if
It feels the same. I feel like service is just going to say it's normal.
Sponsored