OP
OP
thepixelsedge

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Nice! How does it look all done? I am planning on doing this tomorrow weather permitting.
I messed it up a bit so I'm thinking I'm gonna re-do it. I've watched some YouTube videos on the Dipyourcar YouTube channel to learn how to better mask before painting and remove the mask after painting. I suggest you do the same to avoid the mistakes I made yesterday.

Here's a pic of the finished product. In the pic it looks good but up close you can see chrome still showing through by the edges due to my incorrect masking application.

Honda Civic 10th gen Plastidipping my grill ima

Honda Civic 10th gen Plastidipping my grill ima

OP
OP
thepixelsedge

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
That was 4 coats of matte black and 3 coats of plastidip glossifier to make it glossy

OP
OP
thepixelsedge

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Looks really nice.
Thanks but if you saw it in person you'd see how the edges are all messed up. Watch their video on masking. I wish I had before I tried. I masked it off like I would if I were painting the grill. I took the tape right up to the edges and tucked it around the edges and this is what screwed me. You have to leave a frame around whatever you're dipping and peel off the excess dip afterwards. If you mask it right to the edge like I did, then when you remove the tape, the plastidip comes with it and leaves ragged edges and areas with bubbles where I managed to push the dip back down.

arampapaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LSM Civic Coupe Touring
Thanks but if you saw it in person you'd see how the edges are all messed up. Watch their video on masking. I wish I had before I tried. I masked it off like I would if I were painting the grill. I took the tape right up to the edges and tucked it around the edges and this is what screwed me. You have to leave a frame around whatever you're dipping and peel off the excess dip afterwards. If you mask it right to the edge like I did, then when you remove the tape, the plastidip comes with it and leaves ragged edges and areas with bubbles where I managed to push the dip back down.
Yeah, I have done quite a bit of dipping. I always leave an inch or so around the finished product. I use $2 plastic drop clothes the cover the car and just cut open the areas I need to dip and tape around whatever I want dipped. That saves a lot of time when dipping wide areas like grills and spoilers.

arampapaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LSM Civic Coupe Touring
The great thing about it is that it is pretty easy to touch up as well. You shouldn't need to remove and start over.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That looks super smooth for a rattle can job. Did you use cans or a sprayer? I got my tape edge too close to my dip in a few spots on my car also.

alphabetzoop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks good in any case. How many cans/ how much did it run you in the end?