Gimmezell

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
As much as I would like to pick up a KTuner or Hondata to flash my ECU, it just isn't an option right now as I do not want risk my warranty. I understand that your basic Honda tech do not have access to tell whether or not an ECU has been flashed and that only a major warranty claim would be subject to a possible scrutinization of the ECU. I also know about the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act and it's up to the dealers to prove that the modification caused whatever the reason the car was brought in for a possible warranty claim.

So with that I thought it would be beneficial to the community to start a thread for owners like myself, wanting to err on the side of caution and forgo an ECU flash as to what performance mods will not void their factory warranty and will not raise a brow when bringing in for regular maintenance.
Sponsored

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
As much as I would like to pick up a KTuner or Hondata to flash my ECU, it just isn't an option right now as I do not want risk my warranty. I understand that your basic Honda tech do not have access to tell whether or not an ECU has been flashed and that only a major warranty claim would be subject to a possible scrutinization of the ECU. I also know about the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act and it's up to the dealers to prove that the modification caused whatever the reason the car was brought in for a possible warranty claim.

So with that I thought it would be beneficial to the community to start a thread for owners like myself, wanting to err on the side of caution and forgo an ECU flash as to what performance mods will not void their factory warranty and will not raise a brow when bringing in for regular maintenance.
You sort of answered your own question; any mod that can't be proven to be the cause of a failure will not void a factory warranty. And I would think that it would depend on the tech and the shop as to whether an aftermarket part raises concern. Most are probably enthusiasts like us and would go, "Hey man, sweet cold air intake!" There are probably some too that are under pressure to milk the consumer out of every dollar they can, and wouldn't hesitate to call attention to an aftermarket part. So it's really too subjective to tell what's "safe" and what's not. Just my opinion.

FC1E5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
It sounds like you want the cake and eat it too.

The vehicle came with a warranty for how it left the assembly line. Technically anything done after that could void the warranty. A warranty is for a vehicle left in its original state. They are guaranteeing you the vehicle for those 3 years, 36,000 miles. Bumper to bumper.
(And 5/70k on power train)

If you're afraid of voiding the warranty just wait the 3 years 36k miles.

kingbudd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si, 1994 Dodge Stealth RT/TT, 2016 Infiniti Q50, 2017 Cadillac XT5, and 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The best performance mod that won't void your warranty is new tires. If you want to take that a step further, reduce the rim size and opt for lighter weight rims. I believe stock rims are almost 28lbs, depending on size, you can easily drop to 16-18lbs. So that drops total weight by 40-48lbs. However, no modification truly voids your warranty. The dealership has to show the mod directly caused the problem, so if you install a K-Tuner, and your stereo stops working, Honda will cover the repair/replacement. But if you blow your engine because you over boost the engine then you are on the hook for repairs. Even without the K-Tuner mod, if you over rev your engine and damage it, your warranty won't protect you either.

jaydubz79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
IMO... I would refrain from anything engine ecu related in terms of modifications. Although they offer the most bang for your buck, a lot of the tunes out there are relatively new and have not been tested for extended periods given the relatively short period of time the 1.5t has been around.

That being said, a well made tasteful exhaust from the downpipe on is a relatively safe mod, but offers negligible performance gains. As another poster had mentioned a good set of performance tires are second to none.

mp2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 NSX, 2017 SI sedan
how about a downpipe (cat replacement) ? shoudn't be detected during a regular oil change

ice raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 AGB Civic Si
Country flag
how about a downpipe (cat replacement) ? shoudn't be detected during a regular oil change
If the tech thats working on the vehicle knows anything about the engine he's working on it will be very easy to tell its a aftermarket downpipe. Again like everyone has said its subjective to the dealership. I know mine (I work on audi's though) If there is anything aftermarket on the vehicle and it even hints at being the issue then they wont touch it unless you pay for the full repairs on what would be needed. Most dealerships are gonna be the same way

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
These days, it's much less difficult for Engineers to tell if their powertrain was operating outside of factory parameters via freeze frame data. They do this not because they feel the owner is trying to snub Honda (i.e. flash back to stock). The do this to get a better understanding of the conditions leading up to a failure, in order to improve their powertrains in real world driving scenarios.

That said, there are select dealers that offer a Hondata tune with a local warranty. That means if something were to go wrong, the dealer where the tune was purchased would cover the failure (providing they're still in business).

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If the tech thats working on the vehicle knows anything about the engine he's working on it will be very easy to tell its a aftermarket downpipe. Again like everyone has said its subjective to the dealership. I know mine (I work on audi's though) If there is anything aftermarket on the vehicle and it even hints at being the issue then they wont touch it unless you pay for the full repairs on what would be needed. Most dealerships are gonna be the same way
Being as the exhaust system isn’t even covered under a B2B warranty, I can’t see how a down pipe would void anything.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
  1. 'Performance' tires
  2. 'Performance' spark plugs
  3. 'Performance' air filter
  4. 'Performance' oil filter
  5. 'Performance' oil
  6. 'Performance' brake pads'
  7. Etc.........
You see the pattern? Those items you will be ok with.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Being as the exhaust system isn’t even covered under a B2B warranty, I can’t see how a down pipe would void anything.
The exhaust system is covered under the 3/36 Federal emissions warranty in all states except California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington where it is covered by a 7/70 California emissions warranty.

http://owners.honda.com/Documentum/...1_2017_Honda_Warranty_Basebook__KA__FINAL.pdf

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The exhaust system is covered under the 3/36 Federal emissions warranty in all states except California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington where it is covered by a 7/70 California emissions warranty.

http://owners.honda.com/Documentum/...1_2017_Honda_Warranty_Basebook__KA__FINAL.pdf
They will cover any emissions related faults. When was the last time a cat failed within 36k? Like never. Either way, doing anything to your exhaust will not likely void any other warranty on the vehicle.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
They will cover any emissions related faults. When was the last time a cat failed within 36k? Like never. Either way, doing anything to your exhaust will not likely void any other warranty on the vehicle.
Oh, I agree - I'm just pointing out that the exhaust system is covered under (the Federal emissions) warranty after you stated that it wasn't covered (by the "B2B" warranty). Regardless of which warranty category it falls under, if anything happens to the exhaust system from the exhaust manifold to the exhaust outlet, Honda foots the bill for parts and labor for at least 3/36.
Sponsored