Pandora

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
There is a Pandora app under Audio->Sources. It is used in conjunction with the app on your phone (Nexus 5 in my case). I have found the following issues:
  1. If connected to the front USB outlet, Bluetooth audio does not work. This is because of Android Auto. Disconnect USB and it will connect to Bluetooth audio.
  2. The Audio Source->Pandora interface connects to the phone app and starts playing, but no audio is heard. I can switch to Audio Source->Bluetooth and hear the music. It makes me think the app is not connecting properly when used in Accessory mode.
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Check the owner's manual about connectivity. I believe the Pandora app requires both a Bluetooth and USB connection to work. It should send audio through USB (higher quality) while artist, song, artwork, and playback controls are facilitated over Bluetooth. Streaming over Bluetooth requires the phone to be disconnected from USB-1, IIRC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bhorn

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Check the owner's manual about connectivity. I believe the Pandora app requires both a Bluetooth and USB connection to work. It should send audio through USB (higher quality) while artist, song, artwork, and playback controls are facilitated over Bluetooth. Streaming over Bluetooth requires the phone to be disconnected from USB-1, IIRC.
Yes, for Apple it does. But Android should work over BT only, and in fact BT audio is disabled when an Android phone is connected to the front USB port.
http://help.pandora.com/customer/portal/articles/1306869

I swear this worked the first time I tried it. And I noticed that the app updated earlier this week. I wrote Pandora an email explaining what I saw. I'll update here if they respond.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Yeah that sounds odd. I'm wondering if that protocol applies to the LX only? Does it play when you reconnect USB-1?

On my unit (Pioneer), Pandora requires an MHL/USB + Bluetooth connection to the smartphone. If running 4.2 or above, I'm thinking it should work either way.

OP
OP
bhorn

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Yeah that sounds odd. I'm wondering if that protocol applies to the LX only? Does it play when you reconnect USB-1?

On my unit (Pioneer), Pandora requires an MHL/USB + Bluetooth connection to the smartphone. If running 4.2 or above, I'm thinking it should work either way.
When I am connected to the front USB it displays an error message that Pandora can only be played through Android Auto when USB is connected.

OP
OP
bhorn

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
A reboot of the HU fixed the connection problem. I did get a response from Pandora, asking lots of info about my phone. I told them what solved it for me, and that I would contact Honda if this happens again.

MaximusMushu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex
A reboot of the HU fixed the connection problem. I did get a response from Pandora, asking lots of info about my phone. I told them what solved it for me, and that I would contact Honda if this happens again.
Just got a new 2016 Civic Ex and running into this issue. I tried resetting the radio/touchscreen to factory defaults. It didn't work. When I went to another Civic, the Pandora App worked fine. When I tried a different Android phone in my car, still no sound (but the song appears, plays, but has no sound). When I switch the car to Bluetooth and play through my phone's Pandora, it worked fine.
What do you mean exactly by rebooting the HU? Can I do it myself? Any other suggestions?

OP
OP
bhorn

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Just got a new 2016 Civic Ex and running into this issue. I tried resetting the radio/touchscreen to factory defaults. It didn't work. When I went to another Civic, the Pandora App worked fine. When I tried a different Android phone in my car, still no sound (but the song appears, plays, but has no sound). When I switch the car to Bluetooth and play through my phone's Pandora, it worked fine.
What do you mean exactly by rebooting the HU? Can I do it myself? Any other suggestions?
Since that post, the Pandora app has stopped working with my Android phone. When I showed the problem to the dealer, the service manager hooked up his iPhone and it worked. So he blamed my phone.

I don't know of a solution other than to use Android Auto, or stream over Bluetooth.

Edit: to reboot the HU, hold the audio power button until the reboot dialog appears.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
When was the last Pandora app update on the phone side? Don't discount the possibility it's broken. I got it working but not audio. Audio from it is audible when using it from Android Auto.

OP
OP
bhorn

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
When was the last Pandora app update on the phone side? Don't discount the possibility it's broken. I got it working but not audio. Audio from it is audible when using it from Android Auto.
That is the same behavior all (I believe) Android phones have. If you start playback with the Pandora app, then switch the HU source to Bluetooth the sound comes through.

But it works fine with an iPhone.

MaximusMushu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex
I think there may be a problem with Head Unit. It works when I switch the Source to Bluetooth but the actual Pandora App will run and play, but no audio. The service guy tried his Android Phone and it did the same thing. When I went to another 2016 Civic, everything worked fine. I'm bringing my car to Service next week and letting them spend more time on it. Love the car but just this little hiccup on a brand new car is a annoying.

efplaya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 2016
any update on this issue? What did Honda say when you brought it in. I'm having the same exact issue