Our Review of the new 2017 1.5T Manual Transmission Civic!

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
Our newest shop car, a 2017 Aegean Blue Civic 1.5T 6 Speed, is already proving to be a ton of fun. The power in the non-Si model is amazing, and Stu recently did a video review of the car in 100% stock form (well, with 91 octane in the tank).

He also reflashed the ECU with a FlashPro Stage 2 (+6 PSI) tune and tested it out at a local autocross event. With the added 23 horsepower and 50 lb-ft of torque, this car is a beast!

FlashPro product link for more info: http://www.procivic.com/pages-product_car_part_info/product-1131/index.html

Honda Civic 10th gen Our Review of the new 2017 1.5T Manual Transmission Civic! autox-12-17-16
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rusina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Props to Honda for offering the 1.5T option with a manual transmission. Honda has gotten back in the performance and enthusiast game with the latest Civic offerings. The Civic regular, SI and Type R. A Civic for every consumer.
This is gutsy decision considering SUVs are now the norm over regular sedans.

chubbz05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT, 2010 Honda Odyssey EX
Our newest shop car, a 2017 Aegean Blue Civic 1.5T 6 Speed, is already proving to be a ton of fun. The power in the non-Si model is amazing, and Stu recently did a video review of the car in 100% stock form (well, with 91 octane in the tank).

He also reflashed the ECU with a FlashPro Stage 2 (+6 PSI) tune and tested it out at a local autocross event. With the added 23 horsepower and 50 lb-ft of torque, this car is a beast!

FlashPro product link for more info: http://www.procivic.com/pages-product_car_part_info/product-1131/index.html

Love the videos and the potential of this car! FlashPro is the real deal!

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Good initial review from Stu. I agree that the EX is a solid value for those wanting a fun DD. But this car really needs better brakes/suspension/tires to properly handle the extra power from a flash.

OP
OP
procivic

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Good initial review from Stu. I agree that the EX is a solid value for those wanting a fun DD. But this car really needs better brakes/suspension/tires to properly handle the extra power from a flash.
Yes, we agree. The suspension and tire issue will be fixed shortly on our shop car :)

OP
OP
procivic

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here's a short acceleration test between our 9th Gen and 10th Gen shop cars. Keep in mind the 2014 9th Gen Si has a cold air intake, exhaust, big bore throttle body and spacer, and a custom tune (91 octane). Based on our dyno tests, we are guessing it puts about about 230 hp at the flywheel. The 10th Gen EX-T only has the FlashPro Stage 2 (+6 PSI) tune and 91 octane.

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
Here's a short acceleration test between our 9th Gen and 10th Gen shop cars. Keep in mind the 2014 9th Gen Si has a cold air intake, exhaust, big bore throttle body and spacer, and a custom tune (91 octane). Based on our dyno tests, we are guessing it puts about about 230 hp at the flywheel. The 10th Gen EX-T only has the FlashPro Stage 2 (+6 PSI) tune and 91 octane.

That was the shortest race ever! A race to 60mph from a 50mph rolling start?
Could the 10th gen take on the SI in a longer race?

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Im curious to know how the flash pro affect fuel economy? Does it affect it negatively or is it still the same?

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
So.... there's apparently a lot more power available in the 1.5 T than Honda is designing for. The fact that the extra power released by the Hondata tune overwhelms the suspension and drivetrain drives home the point that the best cars are a balanced package. Release more power, and upgrades are going to be required to the wheels, tires, brakes, shocks, drivetrain (LSD), etc. In my youth, I'd buy the stock vehicle and add the required mods. Older now, and with less time and patience to tweak settings, I look forward to purchasing an Si - a car where Honda has spent the time getting all the components to work properly together.

Thanks for putting together these videos. Very helpful. There is so little info out there on how the new Civic performs from a handling standpoint.

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
Fun video. I like how an autox or road course shows where a car's limitations are & shows how terrible typical stock all season tires can be ( the weakest link, imo).

I think it'll be a fun, balanced car with not too many parts. My guess would be that a flashpro tune, good tires, good alignment (not sure what range the stock setup allows), and a rear sway bar would make for good package.

Curious how supportive were the seats during the drive?

OP
OP
procivic

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That was the shortest race ever! A race to 60mph from a 50mph rolling start?
Could the 10th gen take on the SI in a longer race?
It was actually from about 20 mph....I know I know, we almost didn't publish the video because it was so short. Still, at least you can get an idea of what would happen in a real race. We'll try to setup a full race in the near future on a closed course.

OP
OP
procivic

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Fun video. I like how an autox or road course shows where a car's limitations are & shows how terrible typical stock all season tires can be ( the weakest link, imo).

I think it'll be a fun, balanced car with not too many parts. My guess would be that a flashpro tune, good tires, good alignment (not sure what range the stock setup allows), and a rear sway bar would make for good package.

Curious how supportive were the seats during the drive?
The seats were OK but better side bolstering would definitely help. I'm pretty certain the Si will have seats that hold you better.

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
Touring already comes with swaybars front and rear. From what I remember they are a pretty good size - about 15/16" front and 3/4" rear. (Just a guess from memory). Usually not too much work or cost to buy and install a larger size.

Probably could also use stiffer shocks and springs - but now the effort and cost is increasing

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
I think when you have to do more suspension tuning things can get difficult to set up well, especially with full-on coilovers. Only product I've ever been very happy with are the ohlins installed by a race shop muellerized on my Evo. Most Japanese setups are too stiff.